Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,172 members, 7,860,219 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:57 AM

Why Do People Pray Against Expected Events? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do People Pray Against Expected Events? (784 Views)

People Pray For Greece And Sweden. This Is A Prophecy / I.O Ajilore's Prophecies: "I Saw Saraki Overcoming, Pray Against Plane Crash / Nigerians Should Pray Against The Death Of A Politician-t.b Joshua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Pray Against Expected Events? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jun 06, 2015
First of all, is it possible to live a life with no loss, no disappointment, no pains etc? Personally i think it is impossible to live your life without experiencing such

So why pray against such event that will till occur eventually?

For example: In church, (as an analogy) you hear pastors say things like you shall not die, you shall not suffer loss etc but at the end of the day or week. You would hear that someone lost someone or something.

Why waste time and effort praying against something that will occur eventually? I don't get the logic behind that.

I would like to hear your contributions, Atheists,agnostics,free thinkers, christians,Muslims, pagan etc
Re: Why Do People Pray Against Expected Events? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 9:48pm On Jun 06, 2015
there is no logic in religion

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Pray Against Expected Events? by Nobody: 6:47am On Jun 07, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:
there is no logic in religion
mmm....
Re: Why Do People Pray Against Expected Events? by cold(m): 6:57am On Jun 07, 2015
The futility of prayers. It just makes the person doing it feel a lot better. But changes nothing in reality.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Pray Against Expected Events? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jun 07, 2015
Great great provocative question.

The answer may be more rhetoric and philosophical though than one would think. I can however, speak from the biblical perspectives.

In christian, perspective, it is more of what praying represents than what you are praying for or about.

Jesus himself, during his short time on earth, prayed that God would rescue him from evil and death (grossly summarized and paraphrased), however that did not happen. He still went through a gruesome death.

The model for prayer for the christian faith tells us that we should pray for God to deliver us from evil. However, that does not always happen.

This isn't a perfect world. God is perfect. Therefore, we should expect that we pray (in his Will), if he Wills......

If what you pray for doesn't happen at all, or doesn't happen in the way you wanted, then it follows you trust God and His perfect will.

The bible also says; all things work together for the good of those who are called according to his purpose. Unpack this quote, and there you have the answer to your question.

We live in an evil inperfect world, and we will inevitably be affected by it. Call it the consequences of the fall that we inherited from Adam and Eve.

bangleslover:
First of all, is it possible to live a life with no loss, no disappointment, no pains etc? Personally i think it is impossible to live your life without experiencing such

So why pray against such event that will till occur eventually?

For example: In church, (as an analogy) you hear pastors say things like you shall not die, you shall not suffer loss etc but at the end of the day or week. You would hear that someone lost someone or something.

Why waste time and effort praying against something that will occur eventually? I don't get the logic behind that.

I would like to hear your contributions, Atheists,agnostics,free thinkers, christians,Muslims, pagan etc
Re: Why Do People Pray Against Expected Events? by Nobody: 3:17am On Jun 14, 2015
Xiadnat:
Great great provocative question.

The answer may be more rhetoric and philosophical though than one would think. I can however, speak from the biblical perspectives.

In christian, perspective, it is more of what praying represents than what you are praying for or about.

Jesus himself, during his short time on earth, prayed that God would rescue him from evil and death (grossly summarized and paraphrased), however that did not happen. He still went through a gruesome death.

The model for prayer for the christian faith tells us that we should pray for God to deliver us from evil. However, that does not always happen.

This isn't a perfect world. God is perfect. Therefore, we should expect that we pray (in his Will), if he Wills......

If what you pray for doesn't happen at all, or doesn't happen in the way you wanted, then it follows you trust God and His perfect will.

The bible also says; all things work together for the good of those who are called according to his purpose. Unpack this quote, and there you have the answer to your question.

We live in an evil imperfect world, and we will inevitably be affected by it. Call it the consequences of the fall that we inherited from Adam and Eve.

can you explain the bolded, what do you mean by God's will?

So people who pray against death but die due to bh, accidents etc you are saying that it is Gods will for them to die that way?

i thought God should be just,doesn't it sound like injustice?

(1) (Reply)

Religious Switching: Atheists Win, But Who Are The Biggest Losers By 2050? / World War III: Over 2.2 Billion Will Die / Letter From A Pregnant Nun Who Was Raped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.