Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

Studying Abroad - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Studying Abroad (811 Views)

You Study/you're Studying Computer Science In Nigeria. Please Lets Talk. / I Intend Studying Programming Generally? Please Advice! / Studying It Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Studying Abroad by Enaks(m): 8:53am On Feb 19, 2009
Hi everyone
my dad wants to send me out of the country to stud (London) to study but I love programming and I will like to take it as a career when I get there but my aunty there says computer don’t sells because almost everybody there has the knowledge she said its only engineering that sells so what you to advice me on what course to take Am just confused. Here are attachments of courses I browse out from 2 different universities. Pls Nairalanders I want urgent reply you can view the attachment nd d same time view http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2009/subject-areas/computing-courses/
naks4dtp@yahoo.com

Re: Studying Abroad by Cactus(m): 5:06pm On Feb 19, 2009
Anything you do in regards to computers and technology is marketable. But these days in some areas of Information Technology, it is advisable for you to be well-rounded with exceptional qualities.

It is like you have Superman, Batman, Ironman and you want to become a superhero. But your Aunt tells you, there are too many superheros. Her reasons are valid. But it is now your responsibility to achieve to be more superhero than current superhero. Its like you should combine Superman, Batman, Ironman into a MEGA SUPER IRON MAN. That is what should be your goal, That is where your inspiration should come from. That is what you should achieve to be. You can go to school to study about computers and just flow through the process, you will get a job, it may be what you want or may not be what you want. But regardless, you should strive to be better than everyone around even if you feel it is not possible.

The good thing about information technology is that, you can work in any type of industry. Anywhere around the world. That is something to look at and say whoa, there are possibilities even if there are 1000s of new Information Technology professionals each and every day.

My advice, talk with your Aunt, ask her to give you specific reasons why you should not do anything relating to computers. If she says, because there are too many people doing it. That reason doesnt pass. There are too many people into engineering, there are too many people into teaching, too many people going into medicine. According to the logic of your Aunt's reasoning. According to your post you said something that she said there are just too many people doing computers. That doesnt mean many of them are the best or even good. (Well, we can assume they are good enough).

Too many people doesnt translate into the technology market having the best of the best of professionals. You can be better than many people if you want. Just up to you to decide how far you want to go.

There are never too many people. Your goal is to distinguish yourself from others. Even if you dont, there are many opportunities awaiting.

Yes You can
Re: Studying Abroad by Bossman(m): 6:28pm On Feb 19, 2009
I do not think your aunt understands exactly when you said you are going into programming/development. May be you should tell her that you will be studying software engineering.
Re: Studying Abroad by paule: 9:24am On Feb 20, 2009
Enaks, its suprising to see that by your age you are still controlled by your parents decision. What do you want to be in life, how can your aunt (who lived in 20th generation) say that computer is not marketable. 1st and 2nd richest men in the world (calous slim and bill gates) are in ICT respectively, I Know people that make more than half a million working in an IT firm. This is an opportunity to study abroad, I agree with Bossman go for software engineering cos programming, networking, security, system admin cos any other IT field can be taught in local schools professional and secondly is an emerging ICT field. I' m sorry for sounding like this but i just did not expect this from a graduate

(1) (Reply)

Dumb For My Oca Exam / Sql Server Reg. / Visual Basic Help Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.