Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,366 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:01 PM

Why Is West African Culture So Close To South East Asian Culture? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is West African Culture So Close To South East Asian Culture? (1282 Views)

Half Unclad Women Celebrate Their Culture In Rivers State. Photos / Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) / Killers Of Python In Calabar: Handling Snake Is Our Culture; no charms or juju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is West African Culture So Close To South East Asian Culture? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jun 08, 2015
Examples:
1.Food preparation
A lot of boiling,
Spices, hot
Eat everything under the sum
Fish in EVERY dish¡¡

2. Spirituality
Masquerades,
Masks
Charms

3.Language
I believe it's Yoruba language or more - use of tonal variations in speaking
If a Chinese spoke that language you wouldn't know it's not Chinese.
Re: Why Is West African Culture So Close To South East Asian Culture? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jun 08, 2015
Hmm, I doubt it. D only similarity I've noticed so far is in language. Chinese is a tonal language just as yoruba language is and some words also soubd alike e.g. Xie xie in chinese that means thanks is pronounced 'eshe' in yoruba language and gives d same meaning.
Other than that, I don't think we r alike.

1 Like

Re: Why Is West African Culture So Close To South East Asian Culture? by scholes0(m): 7:54pm On Jun 08, 2015
Chinese isn't even South East Asian culture but rather purely East Asian.
As with all cultures of the world, they are some degree of overlapping, since we are all humans.... but then, there are also vast arrays of differences as well.
Whatever similarity you observe between Nigerian/West African and South East Asian cultures is far outnumbered by the differences between us.
Just think about it deeply. I can enumerate far more similarities between Nigeria and Kenya, Tanzania, Angola or Zimbabwe cultures, than between Nigeria and Thailand or Nigeria and Burma/Myamar.
Re: Why Is West African Culture So Close To South East Asian Culture? by tpiar: 11:13am On Dec 27, 2015
West african soldiers were taken to southeast asia a century ago.

That could explain some of it.

Btw, adupe is the Yoruba word for thank you.

E se is informal and technically, is a verb meaning you did.
Re: Why Is West African Culture So Close To South East Asian Culture? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Dec 27, 2015
tpiar:
West african soldiers were taken to southeast asia a century ago.

That could explain some of it.

Btw, adupe is the Yoruba word for thank you.

E se is informal and technically, is a verb meaning you did.
To do what, the soldiers?

Are similar words used in any Asian tribes?
Re: Why Is West African Culture So Close To South East Asian Culture? by tpiar: 12:44am On Dec 28, 2015

1 Like

Re: Why Is West African Culture So Close To South East Asian Culture? by fleep(m): 4:25am On Dec 28, 2015
You monkeys are pathetic. Please stop trying to pretend you are related to east asians

Are u kidding me right now... this is the saddest shit ever.
Re: Why Is West African Culture So Close To South East Asian Culture? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jan 06, 2016
One day, fleep you'll come to your senses. Maybe when you graduate and join your father to expand your business empire, and notice the business world is complex, and your high IQ isn't enough. Try it in Africa.

I suggest you first try it out in the employment world, just to experience life on your own. See how that works. Then we'll have a more fruitfull discussion.

(1) (Reply)

Woman With Bare Breasts: Mandatory Traditional Marriage Attire / See Exclusive Photos Of Ooni Of Ife Wedding To Wuraola In Benin / Biafra: Igbo Vs Niger Delta Migration In 100years Time (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.