Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,796 members, 7,820,794 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

In Opposition To The "why Africans Starve" Post On The Home Page - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / In Opposition To The "why Africans Starve" Post On The Home Page (1049 Views)

The Home Alone Series And How It Can Make You Rich / Opposition To Islamic Banking Is Uninformed / Nigeria Million Dollar Home Page (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

In Opposition To The "why Africans Starve" Post On The Home Page by my2cents(m): 4:41am On Sep 17, 2006
Someone posted this article on the NL home page:

http://www.washtimes.com/commentary/20031108-111533-9600r.htm

I will say up front, that I only read the first 3 paragraphs. I was too angry to continue. So if the author has taken care of what I am about to say below, I will gladly retract.

I ask the poster: how does this question of Why "Africans" starve affect Nigeria (where at best, only large corporations actually pay tax as thanks to oil revenue, taxation isn't as transparent as in say, western nations), or even south africa. Perhaps the author of that article should have been more specific?

Don't fall into that trap o, especially if you are in Nigeria. To oyibo (and unfortunately a growing number of naijans in the US), Africa is one big country where what happens in timbuktu is a reflection of what happens in Abuja. Nothing good is to come out of it (maybe except slaves).

Ok, I am waiting for your response grin
Re: In Opposition To The "why Africans Starve" Post On The Home Page by obua: 6:59pm On Sep 18, 2006
Only large corporations may be paying taxes in Nigeria but generally business in Niga is tough. As long as you have an office any where even in remote parts of any town, you see all sorts of characters( with armed police) coming to ask for all sorts of levies and threatening to lock up the business.
Personally , I have decided not to complain again, but to forge ahead and to overcome.[color=#006600][/color][b][/b]

(1) (Reply)

Shops In Lagos / Need Some Help / Its Finally Here! Make Money Posting Ads For Companies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.