Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,999 members, 7,817,955 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court (37594 Views)

Man Publicly Strips Himself Naked In Lagos As Children Watch & Clap For Him / CBN N8bn Scam Suspect Has Hole In The Heart--lawyer / See The Faces Of Men And Woman Caught For N8bn Fraud In CBN (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by Adesiji77: 5:11am On Jun 09, 2015
Ibadan—ONE of the bankers standing trial for alleged fraudulent activities totalling N8 billion broke down in tears, yesterday, as her three children came into the courtroom of the Federal High Court to greet her. The suspect, who had been in detention at Agodi Prisons, Ibadan, since the case instituted against them by Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, began last week, cried repeatedly even after the children had left.

All the eight suspects in the first batch were led into the court in handcuffs, some minutes before 9a.m., except the woman among them. As soon as they sat down, the handcuffs were removed before the commencement of proceedings.
This came just as relatives of the suspects became hostile to journalists, especially photojournalists who tried to take photographs as they were about boarding a rickety prison bus back to the prisons.

Relatives’ reactions

Among the relatives was a physically-challenged woman on a wheel chair, who kept praying for one Deji, one of the suspects, that the ‘good’ he had done and scores of people he had shown kindness would see him through the case. Another fair-complexioned woman wept uncontrollably, raining curses on those who let the cat of the bag, saying “Deji, God would consider all your good gestures and help you out.

“The ancestors of all of us you have shown kindness in various ways would make you go scot free.” Also, a man who followed our correspondent to the car, kept asking why should journalists give such attention to the case when there are several people in other sectors stealing billions without attracting any attention or publicity?

After the charges were read to the suspects last week, the case was adjourned till yesterday, when applications for bail were supposed to be heard. At the sitting of the court yesterday, which was presided over by Justice Adeyinka Faaji of the Federal High Court, Ibadan, proceedings were stalled due to processes that had not been served on some of the counsel.Two cases were heard in batches regarding the fraud.

The defendants/applicants, who applied for bail in the first batch, include Kolawole Babalola, Olaniran Muniru Adeola, Toogun Kayode Phillip, all staff of Central Bank of Nigeria.Others are Isiaq Akano, Ayodele Adeyemi, Oyebamiji Akeem, Ayodeji Alase and Ajiwe Adegoke.

Processes, argument
Because some processes of the court were not served on some counsels to the defendants/applicants, there was a serious argument on whether the bail applications should be heard or not. When counsel to all the defendants could not reach a common ground as to whether the case should be heard or not, the presiding judge suggested that the case be stood down till 12 noon subject to the agreement of the counsel.
While the prosecution, Mr. Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), agreed, other counsel expressed fear that the prosecution could still claim he had not enough time to go through the processes.

Of the seven counsel holding briefs for the accused persons, about three said they were ready for the proceedings, when asked individually by the judge. The judge then told all the counsel to put heads together and arrive at a common position on the issue.
After they had agreed, the court then asked one of the senior advocates to speak on behalf of other counsel.

Agreed hearing date
Mr. Jacob then said they had agreed to come back on Thursday when all processes would have been filed.
Justice Faaji then adjourned to Thursday 11 for hearing motion on bail applications and ordered all the accused to be remanded in prison custody. The second batch of the case involved Oni Ademola Dolapo, Afolabi Esther Olunike, Ademola Ebenezer Adewale, Kolawole Babalola, Olaniran Muniru and Toogun Kayode Phillip.They too were remanded in prison pending hearing of their bail application on Thursday.

Prisons bus drama
Outside the court, there was a mild drama as the rickety bus, with number plates PRISONS PS 577 A0/1, which conveyed the accused to court, was pushed before the engine came to life. Afterwards, the bus moved to the entrance of the court so the accused could get in without being seen. Some of the suspects covered their faces, with some of the security agents warning that nobody should take photographs.
Amid tears and fervent prayers by relatives that the suspects be left off the hook, the accused persons were driven away.

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/cbn-n8bn-accused-weeps-as-children-appear-in-court/#sthash.pR51fcRu.dpuf

Cc: lalasticlala, Ishilove
Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by Ishilove: 5:13am On Jun 09, 2015
To do bad is not good. Shior angry

As that old Yoruba saying goes: ''If you want to be evil, that's fine, you can continue. But when you remember how Gaa died, you will amend your ways''.

Cry me a river. Lady, you did the crime, now you must do the time. Your children will learn from your mistakes and hopefully not tow the path of ignominy you chose.

58 Likes 6 Shares

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by Sweetcollins: 5:15am On Jun 09, 2015
Lesson to All

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by speaktome(m): 5:16am On Jun 09, 2015
I will comment When i wake up from sleep.

Typing...........

#MySignature#MyBusiness#

1 Like

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by sammy329(m): 5:16am On Jun 09, 2015
I kinda pity her because of her kid, but she must be punished. She should not cry us a river

1 Like

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by adrainuche(m): 5:17am On Jun 09, 2015
EFCC dun wake up wetin dem be dey do..

Abeg make una investigate

1 Amaechi
2 Aragbe rascal
3 Tinubu
4 Jona Daft

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by Nobody: 5:17am On Jun 09, 2015
Prisons bus drama
[b]Outside the court, there was a mild drama as the rickety bus, with number plates PRISONS PS 577 A0/1, which conveyed the accused to court, was pushed before the engine came to life.[/b]Afterwards, the bus moved to the entrance of the court so the accused could get in without being seen. Some of the suspects covered their faces, with some of the security agents warning that nobody should take photographs.
Amid tears and fervent prayers by relatives that the suspects be left off the hook, the accused persons were driven away.

Can you imagine? I know they would grant those criminals bail and let them go, that's shows how porous our legal system has become. The court don get all evidence yet they would keep adjourning till all the baba isale put mouth. Deny them bail and keep them behind bars, too much rogue government workers.

adrainuche:
EFCC dun wake up wetin dem be dey do..
Abeg make una investigate
1 Amaechi
2 Aragbe rascal
3 Tinubu
4 Jona Daft

Haha you can fit dream sha, you better wake up..

3 Likes

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by calitosprince(m): 5:17am On Jun 09, 2015
a taste of the common life no heart feelings for them

2 Likes

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by realGURU(m): 5:17am On Jun 09, 2015
check sasuwa blog

7 Likes

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by Bantino(m): 5:17am On Jun 09, 2015
What a pity!!!

Stealing AKA corruption has become a way of life so much that when one is caught he points fingers at others, imagine the statement by one of the relatives saying others are stealing billions. Does he want the court to set them free because those stealing billions are not caught yet? Mtcheeew

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by Sibe007(m): 5:18am On Jun 09, 2015
Nigeria will be great again. Courts are getting active, EFCC aswell, I pray the momentum is maintained.

DO the right thing and spare your loved ones the pain and shame.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by sirrinky: 5:18am On Jun 09, 2015
Chaiii
Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by tinyfela: 5:19am On Jun 09, 2015
All I can say is.... Lord have mercy... They had a good job and a good pay.... Greed is not a good thing ....

21 Likes

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by meryln(m): 5:19am On Jun 09, 2015
So Sad..

God please don't let me be involved in what will bring shame to me and my family
AMEN

49 Likes

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by omenka(m): 5:20am On Jun 09, 2015
He must have been kind to his blood, but he was unkind to Nigeria and must answer to his crimes. Thousands of people re rotting away in Nigerian jails for far lesser crimes.

I hope they get the punishment they deserve.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by Nnemuka(f): 5:20am On Jun 09, 2015
deji used stolen money to help his relatives, pls efcc and police should arrest all of them for encouraging stealing.

stealing money with pen has become the order of the day.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by Pauloot(m): 5:21am On Jun 09, 2015
you can't sow yam and reap apple! #Mba

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by hansbad: 5:21am On Jun 09, 2015
Big lossers

1 Like

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by AreaFada2: 5:22am On Jun 09, 2015
Shame. The same people will be blaming Jonathan. Imagine what these guys will do as politicians. Corruption is a way of life in 9ja now. You get things through nepotism and bribery mostly, ability hardly count.

24 Likes

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by Rahmatuparker: 5:23am On Jun 09, 2015
So sad. Eyaah
Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by Pearlyakin(m): 5:23am On Jun 09, 2015
Eeyah,i hope this serve as a scapegoat to other thieves that stealing is not good.

3 Likes

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by dihalao(m): 5:23am On Jun 09, 2015
i know that feelinq and its a really bad one. i hope they pass through this. the money involved is the only thing making this case serious
Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by Nobody: 5:23am On Jun 09, 2015
The thought of one's family should come first before any action is taken...the deed is done
I won't be surprise if at the end a fine was collected and they were all released

3 Likes

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by abbeyoye2001(m): 5:24am On Jun 09, 2015
Pele
Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by anonimi: 5:24am On Jun 09, 2015
Sibe007:
Nigeria will be great again. Courts are getting active, EFCC aswell, I pray the momentum is maintained.

DO the right thing and spare your loved ones the pain and shame.

Stop spreading LIES and RUMOURS.

EFCC and courts were always active. Get informed please.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by prospero5(m): 5:24am On Jun 09, 2015
let justice win
Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by prospero5(m): 5:25am On Jun 09, 2015
justice must win
Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by kenbee(f): 5:25am On Jun 09, 2015
who is she
Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by egopersonified(f): 5:25am On Jun 09, 2015
Imagine cursing who let the cat out of the bag. Naija, which way?

6 Likes

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by ednut1(m): 5:25am On Jun 09, 2015
the parents will say it waa a set up
Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by AAinEqGuinea: 5:25am On Jun 09, 2015

8 Likes

Re: CBN N8bn: Accused Weeps As Children Appear In Court by sanandreas(m): 5:25am On Jun 09, 2015
Don't wake me up. Still enjoying my sleep sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

INTERPOL Arrests James Aliyu In South Africa / Nigerian Woman Steals £17,000 From UK Employers For Luxury Wedding!!! (pics) / 13-year-old JSS2 Student Commits Suicide In Parent's Chicken Pen In Makurdi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.