Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,717 members, 7,824,030 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Saraki Becomes Senate President - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki Becomes Senate President (9189 Views)

Ike Ekweremadu Becomes Senate President / N’assembly: Saraki Becomes Senate President, Dogara Speaker / Ekweremadu Returns As Deputy Senate President, As Bukola Saraki Becomes Presiden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by Firefire(m): 11:35am On Jun 09, 2015
barcanista:
My brother, I shall always be grateful to God and to the firmness of brothers like you, mogidi, firefire, truckpusher, bayswater and sisters like Forwetinnah, Ecoterrors, Descartes etc. Together we expressed our support for Saraki, together we triumph against the "god-father" wannabe (Tinubu)! The era of godfatherism in National politics is long gone.

To God be the glory great things He has done!

Nigeria shall rise again!
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by Nobody: 11:36am On Jun 09, 2015
AZeD1:
Was Remi Tinubu present?
No
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by baralatie(m): 11:38am On Jun 09, 2015
naptu2:

1) The main inauguration is done by the President (usually via a letter to the Clerk) (see Section 63 of the constitution). This is called the proclamation of the National Assembly. Buhari has already done this.

2) Senators take the oath of office before the Senate President and the constitution (in section 62) states that they can participate in the election of the Senate President before taking the oath.
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by baralatie(m): 11:41am On Jun 09, 2015
Obiagelli:

No
was there a memo that the inauguration has been shifted/cancelled/postponed/called off?
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by Bayswater: 11:43am On Jun 09, 2015
barcanista:
My brother, I shall always be grateful to God and to the firmness of brothers like you, mogidi, firefire, truckpusher, bayswater and sisters like Forwetinnah, Ecoterrors, Descartes etc. Together we expressed our support for Saraki, together we triumph against the "god-father" wannabe (Tinubu)! The era of godfatherism in National politics is long gone.

You are welcome, my brother. You have stuck to your convictions and conscience, now you have been vindicated. The focus now is on our own Honourable Dogara, we want Rt. added to his title in a couple of hours. Eyes on the ball, eyes on the ball.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by after1: 11:44am On Jun 09, 2015
Firefire:

To God be the glory great things He has done!

Nigeria shall rise again!

Imagine, to God be the glory cos someone you all labelled a thief won. Chai... Pls stop involving Nigerians in your words and stop faking patriotism. You all said APC are devil and Saraki is a thief yet you are rejoicing like you won a lotto. Wonder shall never end.

4 Likes

Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by naptu2: 11:44am On Jun 09, 2015
Obiagelli:

Oh thanks, i guess Saraki and co did right.

Btw what do think of the absence of 51 senators

Section 54 says that the quorum of the Senate shall be one-third of the members of the Senate.
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by neenar: 11:46am On Jun 09, 2015
JackBaueress1:
they are after PROTECTION. Nothing more.
indeed THEY are. It was more or less an intra-party conflict, and the smarter senator won.
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by Nobody: 11:47am On Jun 09, 2015
naptu2:

Section 54 says that the quorum of the Senate shall be one-third of the members of the Senate.
Oh thanks. Very smart Saraki
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by Nobody: 11:47am On Jun 09, 2015
baralatie:

was there a memo that the inauguration has been shifted/cancelled/postponed/called off?
No
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by BuddhaPalm(m): 11:48am On Jun 09, 2015
Please how powerful is the senate president?

Danke!

cc: naptu2, omenka, barcanista & obiagelli
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by Plshavmercyamen: 11:50am On Jun 09, 2015
If truly Buhari and other APC leaders convened a meeting of Senators elect from their platform(APC) and Saraki and a few others went ahead to do this, then, it's Safe to say that Saraki have chosen to align with other parties to declare subtle war on Buhari and APC and it wil only be in order for APC accept this outcome and reality in the interest of the Nation while declaring a more ferocious "subtle" counter war on Saraki and his other APC colleagues. Udo diri unu
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by Nobody: 11:56am On Jun 09, 2015
barcanista:
may your MB never run dry, you fought gallantly and you hit the bull's eye with your perfect submission. Progressthieves loss is now our gain.

We are behind you.

Ride on brother.

To other Tanoids

I salute

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by naptu2: 12:02pm On Jun 09, 2015
BuddhaPalm:
Please how powerful is the senate president?

Danke!

cc: naptu2, barcanista & obiagelli

His main power (and also his main headache) is the ability to appoint chairmen and members of committees (it is a headache because some members could decide to try and impeach him if they are not happy with his selection).

2) Ruling: He has the power to rule on poibts if order and on motions ("the ayes have it" or "the nays have it"wink . He can rule that a member is out of order
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by PedroJP(m): 12:06pm On Jun 09, 2015
Obiagelli:
57 senators elected Saraki unopposed in the absence of 51 senators, something is wrong here

Simple. APC didn't want to make it seem they were defeated in the contest knowing fully well PDP senators and few APC pro Saraki senators will outnumber them, hence, they stayed away.

Though i don't think APC did what they did, just to accept His emergence.
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by temitemi1(m): 12:50pm On Jun 09, 2015
Let's wait n see... Bye bye to jagaban imposition in Nigeria politics grin grin grin
JackBaueress1:
beginning of the end of what precisely? last time I checked, Saraki is an APC man and he will not defect. So what are you happy about Robot?

PDP shall rise again!!
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by kowriesng(m): 1:03pm On Jun 09, 2015
barcanista:
d same saraki, u called corrupt ...
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by kowriesng(m): 1:06pm On Jun 09, 2015
Kudos to Tambuwal (he started this)
Kudos to saraki
Kudos to APC (cos for 16yrs pdp didnt allow us to feel d beauty of democracy, d SP was being imposed by dem)
Kudos to Nigeria democracy
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by kowriesng(m): 1:08pm On Jun 09, 2015
PedroJP:

Simple. APC didn't want to make it seem they were defeated in the contest knowing fully well PDP senators and few APC pro Saraki senators will outnumber them, hence, they stayed away.

Though i don't think APC did what they did, just to accept His emergence.
APc has concluded Saraki as SP since yesterday, d so-called absence is just a ploy to make lawan n supporters to not oppose
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by BuddhaPalm(m): 1:14pm On Jun 09, 2015
naptu2:

His main power (and also his main headache) is the ability to appoint chairmen and members of committees (it is a headache because some members could decide to try and impeach him if they are not happy with his selection).

2) Ruling: He has the power to rule on points of order and on motions ("the ayes have it" or "the nays have it"wink . He can rule that a member is out of order

Thanks bro.

So beyond these functions, how can he possibly 'frustrate' the president, for example?

Why is this such a big loss for APC?
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by temitemi1(m): 1:29pm On Jun 09, 2015
Good to be back! I have missed you my love cheesy
MizMyColi:

Temitemi1!!!
Good to see you! cheesy
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by MizMyColi(f): 1:30pm On Jun 09, 2015
cool
temitemi1:

We held the fortesmiley
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by robosky02(m): 1:32pm On Jun 09, 2015
temitemi1:

easy ohh
Re: Saraki Becomes Senate President by temitemi1(m): 1:59pm On Jun 09, 2015
I trust u my love kiss
MizMyColi:
cool

We held the fortesmiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

2019 Polls: I Have Warned INEC To Be Free And Fair — Buhari / We Support The Breakaway Of Biafra But We Will Never Be Part Of Biafra. / 2023: Falz Says He Does Not Intend To Join Presidential Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.