Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

Help: Dell Pe Sc440 Server - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Help: Dell Pe Sc440 Server (2538 Views)

HELP!!! DELL Laptop Won't Turn On / Please Help Dell Inspiron 5040 Or Hp Probook 4530s / Pls Help,dell P3 Laptop Cant Boot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help: Dell Pe Sc440 Server by coolruler(m): 2:27pm On Feb 20, 2009
I use a Dell Poweredge SC440 running Win 2003 server in my office. Recently, we bought a new and more powerful server and I wanted to demote the server to an ordinary workstation. To my surprise however, it will not demote. Instead, I get this message " there are no more endpoint mappers". As an alternative measure, I tried installing Win XP on the system, but no luck. I get the message" Windows cannot detect a hard drive on your system".
I checked and discovered the system has virtual disk configuration. So my question is how do I get Windows to see my hard drive?, and how do I demote the server?
All suggestions will be appreciated pls.
Re: Help: Dell Pe Sc440 Server by Weymola(m): 10:06pm On Feb 20, 2009
Coolruler, !

I've got one those SC440 servers running SBS2003!

To install XP on this both you will the drivers for the SATA disk in that box. You see your server has a RAID config setup, hence the virtual disk you where seeing. Well you need to get the drivers from Dell, and press F6 during the install process and tell it where to find the drivers for your RAID card, so it can see the disks.

Let me know how you get on?

- Computer Troubleshooter
Re: Help: Dell Pe Sc440 Server by wiseboay01: 11:20pm On Feb 21, 2009
i my self is having the same problem too, i will advice u to install original window server 2003 operating system back, or take it back to dell if u bought it new
Re: Help: Dell Pe Sc440 Server by Weymola(m): 4:08pm On Feb 23, 2009
The issue your facing with installing an alternative OS this server isnt new. It fairly common, I remember facing thses issues back in the days of NT4. The virtual disk you saw listed, was basically the logical drive presented to the OS at install, and could be made up of one or more physical disk drives. For an older OS such as XP to see that volume you need to tell it what driversto use, hence you gt the option to press F6 during the install so additional drivers can be specfied.

But as I think about it, i know from experience that the installationwill require you to put a floppy disk with drivers in the machine. This is a histotric thing, so if you dont have a floppy drive in that server then you'll run into problems.

I was also curious how you came about this problem. Its not clear if you were demoting prior to installing the new server? I would expect you to 1stly install the new server, then demote the older one.

Hope this helps
Re: Help: Dell Pe Sc440 Server by coolruler(m): 12:31pm On Feb 24, 2009
Thank you weymola,
I actually installed the new Server first. I now wanted to demote the SC440 and I got the message"there are no more endpoint mappers available". I tried re-installing the Server OS, but Windows would not see the hard drives.
I guess my main problem is, how would I convert virtual drives to physical drives that Windows can see?
Re: Help: Dell Pe Sc440 Server by Weymola(m): 4:29pm On Feb 24, 2009
Coolruler.

Yeah I think i'm getting a better now. So the new server was insatlled into the same AD domain, you ran the dcpromo command on the old server and got the mappers not availiable message? Have you got the dell openmanage CD? I think thats your best bet at this stage as it has the utilites to allow you install a new server OS. You wont be able to install XP usinf this utility CD as its not built for that purpose. It maybe possible to get the drivers fro your raid card, so you can manually try the install. But your best bet is to install Win2003.

On another note I ust remember that on my SC400 I have VMware ESXi running. It was an easy install and it recognised the disks and other bits of hardware in the box. My SC440 processor had the V extentions buitl so ESX installed easily. I'm thinking since the ESXi foot print is only 64Mb and its overheads on the server very low, then this might be a solution for your problem. Once ESXi is installed you can then install XP on the box with no worries.

The ESXi is a free download from VMWare so its worth a shot, plus you can begin to play around with ESX server in the process.

cheers

Weymola

(1) (Reply)

Pc Games Running Too Slow On My 2gig Laptop! / Your Freedom With Mtn. / The Pros And Cons Of Windows Vista

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.