Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,126 members, 7,835,784 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

No Party Should Toy With Legislators’ Independence — Ex-speakers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Party Should Toy With Legislators’ Independence — Ex-speakers (627 Views)

36 Speakers Of State Houses Of Assembly Storm Imo To Discuss Biafra .... / Fashola Angry With Enugu Legislators Action On Eedc / Impeachment Of Yari: DSS Arrests Legislators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Party Should Toy With Legislators’ Independence — Ex-speakers by ochejoseph(m): 1:12am On Jun 11, 2015
FORMER presiding and principal officers of the House of Representatives, on Tuesday, maintained that no party should toy with the independence of the legislature and consequently, urged the All Progressives Congress (APC) to accept the emergence of Honourable Yakubu Dogara and Lasun Yusuf as Speaker and Deputy Speaker, respectively.
A former speaker and current member of APC Board of Trustees, Honourable Umar Ghali Na’aba, who spoke on behalf of the former presiding officers, during a courtesy call to the new leaders of the House, said independence of the legislature, all over the world, is sacrosanct.
The delegation of the former presiding officers was led by Honourable Na'aba, with Honourables Agunwa Anakwe, Olubunmi Etteh and the governor of Sokoto State, who is the immediate past Speaker, Honourable Aminu Tambuwal, in attendance.
According to Honourable Na’aba, “lawmakers, on Tuesday, achieved another democratic revolution against a conventional wisdom of imposition of leaders by political parties.”
He added that “this has happened not to spite our party, but that the legislature, under a democratic setting, must be independent.
“What happened on Tuesday was an effort by lawmakers of both the APC and the PDP to ensure their independence as lawmakers.”
To this end, he said “whatever must have happened, the new leadership must not be castigated and scorned, but should be seen as a means of charting a new legislative course for the benefit of all Nigerians.”
On what the new leaders should do, he said “we believe that the constitution needs to be amended, and this was done by the last assembly but never saw the light of day. This assembly must take up that responsibility to revisit the issue of constitution amendment.”
Speaking further, he said “what we need now is reconciliation, because the House, as it is now, is divided. I believe the process should not be difficult.”
Responding, Honourable Dogara said his victory was a miracle, which could not have come without their prayers and support, stressing that “I want to assure you that this leadership will not disappoint.”
He further stated that “we want to reach out to the executive as quickly as possible and to the party as well. We realise that as responsible leaders, we have to compliment the efforts of government.”
He also promised to heal the wounds and division created by the politics of speakership race in the House, adding that “we will come together and mend walls, because some people may feel that they have lost.
“I want to tell them that they have not lost anything, as this remains a leadership that is for all.”

http://tribuneonlineng.com/node/7750
Re: No Party Should Toy With Legislators’ Independence — Ex-speakers by dunkem21(m): 1:16am On Jun 11, 2015
Pls, put sauce ..make I chop this boli grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Party Should Toy With Legislators’ Independence — Ex-speakers by Ohammadike: 1:19am On Jun 11, 2015
Tifnubu and oga lie learnt it d hard way yesterday

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Party Should Toy With Legislators’ Independence — Ex-speakers by emeuzo(m): 1:27am On Jun 11, 2015
Right

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: No Party Should Toy With Legislators’ Independence — Ex-speakers by millhouse: 4:53am On Jun 11, 2015
Ohammadike:
Tifnubu and oga lie learnt it d hard way yesterday
I tell u

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Party Should Toy With Legislators’ Independence — Ex-speakers by modath(f): 5:04am On Jun 11, 2015
Everyone forming national interest. Na wah
Re: No Party Should Toy With Legislators’ Independence — Ex-speakers by ochejoseph(m): 9:13am On Jun 11, 2015
dunkem21:
Pls, put sauce ..make I chop this boli grin

I don Put am "lol Enjoy

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

El-rufa’i Begs Kaduna Lawmakers To Cut Salaries, Allowances / Declare June 12 Democracy Day, Ambode, Oyebode, Falana, Others Urge FG / Pres. Buhari To Visit Cameroon Over Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.