Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You (36220 Views)

Nursery School In Calabar Flogs Parents For Bringing Their Kids Late To School / The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) / 12-Year-Old Girl Takes $20,000 To School In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by grafikdon: 11:48pm On Feb 21, 2009
~Sauron~:

The chances of students getting admitted in SE areas are almost 100%(Nobody wants to really school there).

This reminds me of a New Yorker who has  never traveled beyond Brooklyn and screams authoritatively that Brooklyn has the BEST restaurants in the WHOLE WORLD. Not in New York, not in the USA but in the WHOLE WORLD. . . grin grin  Or better still, a baseball game involving teams from USA  tagged "WORLD SERIES"  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin

Wait! I have a better one. . . like people in America who should know better asking Nigerians if they live on trees. . .  grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 11:56pm On Feb 21, 2009
debosky:

I'd expect better comprehension from you, but let me restate:

1. The population 'census' measured people living in given states and did not record states of origin, so it cannot be used as a sufficient basis to determine the population of a given tribe, especially one as perspicacious as the Igbo.

2. Lagos is more populated than Bayelsa no doubt, but that is irrelevant for the most part because majority of the people IN Lagos do not claim to be FROM Lagos.

3. The statistics being quoted are reported STATES OF ORIGIN, not states of residence. It is entirely plausible that there is a higher population of Igbos living outside their geographically defined 'home zone' than other tribes.

4. 'Igboland' or the South East remains one of the most densely populated places in Nigeria, apart from Lagos or Kano. It is this extremely high population density (in addition to other factors) that has led to the massive migration to other parts of the country/world. In fact, the three states with the highest population density in Nigeria are Abia, Anambra and Enugu states

5. Are there demographic differences between the tribes in question? Do Igbo families have larger or smaller number of children compared to others? Was there a 'baby boom' at some point in the past that could be (partly) responsible for this trend?

6. The census figures have been disputed by many groups as representing a politically acceptable result (to the North that is) rather than the true state of things.

7. Rates of completion are not included in the data, neither are drop out statistics. All these different measures can give a more accurate picture than admission stats alone.

8. A more useful number could be the proportion of applicants from the respective zones, vis-a-vis the admission numbers. Another useful term could be the proportion of the eligible populations in the different zones actually in school, such measures are more indicative of trends that the ones used here.

In conclusion, this data is insufficient to make any far reaching determinations. It is what it is, showing higher enrollment numbers than the South West.

[size=22pt]MINT!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Ibime(m): 12:12am On Feb 22, 2009
@ Debosky,

Population density means nothing except that the geographical area is small.

I never even knew that Uni admission was based on state of origin not state of residence. Even still, why did Bayelsa beat all Yoruba states in the last admission statistics I studied? Do you know how few people trace their origin to Bayelsa?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by debosky(m): 12:39am On Feb 22, 2009
Ibime:

@ Debosky,

I never even knew that Uni admission was based on state of origin not state of residence. Even still, why did Bayelsa beat all Yoruba states in the last admission statistics I studied? Do you know how few people trace their origin to Bayelsa?
Population density means a lot more than that, a small geographical location can have a significantly higher population than a larger landmass due to density. Australia is at least 20 times the size of Japan, but has less than a quarter of Japan's population.

Like I mentioned earlier, I do not think the population censuses have given an accurate depiction of the population of the South East, not to talk of people dwelling outside their zones.

I don't know how many people claim Bayelsa as their state of origin, but they must be substantial to make a dent in University admission figures.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by osisi2(f): 12:55am On Feb 22, 2009
at this  juncture,I call on our resident onyeara nigeria1 aka becomerich to report here right now and scatter this thread with his maps.
This is one time I need him grin grin grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by debosky(m): 12:57am On Feb 22, 2009
**osisi:

at this  juncture,I call on our resident onyeara nigeria1 aka becomerich to report here right now and scatter this thread with his maps.
This is one time I need him grin grin grin
grin grin grin

Be careful what you wish for osisi - the boy will soon tell you that there are more people in Umuleri than in Oshodi grin grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by osisi2(f): 12:59am On Feb 22, 2009
Ibime:

@ Debosky,

Bayelsa shocked shocked shocked
are you sure of this claim?
since when did you people start going to school
are there no more fishes to catch? grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by osisi2(f): 1:00am On Feb 22, 2009
debosky:

grin grin grin

Be careful what you wish for osisi - the boy will soon tell you that there are more people in Umuleri than in Oshodi grin grin

He never disappoints.
maybe I should just copy and paste his responses from another thread grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by debosky(m): 1:09am On Feb 22, 2009
**osisi:

Bayelsa shocked shocked shocked
are you sure of this claim?
since when did you people start going to school
are there no more fishes to catch? grin
They need to learn the latest kidnapping strategy from the secret cults on campus. grin grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by ijawgirl: 1:39am On Feb 22, 2009
@ osisi and debosky,

thats so ignorant
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Ibime(m): 2:14am On Feb 22, 2009
ijaw_girl:

@ osisi and debosky,

thats so ignorant

Don't mind the idiots. Whilst our forefathers had met the whiteman and had been going to school since the 1800's, they were still covering themselves with loincloth. I hope they remember Ernest Ikoli and other Ijaw stalwarts who were educated back when they were still trading in cowries. Whilst Jaja of Opobo had lawyers representing him in England in the 1700's, Okonkwo was still busy sacrificing Ikemefuna to the gods. grin If they don't take time we will unleash the Arochukwu upon them like we used to do back in those days. grin Only the people of Badagry and Old Calabar are qualified to talk about education where Ijaw people are concerned.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 2:54am On Feb 22, 2009
Ibime:

Don't mind the idiots. Whilst our forefathers had met the whiteman and had been going to school since the 1800's, they were still covering themselves with loincloth.

ROFLMAO. . . . . . . .What a kike!!!!
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Dede1(m): 4:56am On Feb 22, 2009
@Debo

Is there a better factor to attest to demographic growth of an area than school leavers? If the so-called south-east is thumping other zones in terms of population growth, why has it not reflected accordingly within the institutionalized discrimination known as quota system in Nigeria? 

@Sauron

Any attempt to speak the truth in the jungle called Nigeria would always bring the good, bad and ugly out of the inhabitants of the jungle.

The analogous statement of yours, thus, “Statistics are like miniskirts. They give you a good idea but can hide the most important feature”, is most refreshing. But I had rather embrace miniskirts in the tropical climate of Nigeria than overflowing gown.

@Ibi

I say shut the hell up my friend!! We have always pray that the pupils should emulate the masters. During the period Ndigbo were breaking school slates with Onyecha, your forebears were still making their homes in canoes. Nnedum Okongwu was the first Ph.D produced by the colonial contraption called Nigeria. By the time of his accomplishment, the likes of Azikiwe and Nkrumah were till queuing for admission.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Nobody: 5:11am On Feb 22, 2009
Dede1:

The analogous statement of yours, thus, “Statistics are like miniskirts. They give you a good idea but can hide the most important feature”, is most refreshing. But I had rather embrace miniskirts in the tropical climate of Nigeria than overflowing gown.

grin grin grin grin prevert

Dede1:

@Debo

I say shut the hell up my friend!! We have always pray that the pupils should emulate the masters. During the period Ndigbo were breaking school slates with Onyecha, your forebears were still making their homes in canoes. Nnedum Okongwu was the first Ph.D produced by the colonial contraption called Nigeria. By the time of his accomplishment, the likes of Azikiwe and Nkrumah were till queuing for admission.

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Nobody: 5:14am On Feb 22, 2009
who is this dede1 dude? Quiet an interesting and refreshing fellow.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 6:27am On Feb 22, 2009
@Post,

I studied your charts, your distributions are skewed. I noticed that in every categories the SE was above par. Did the data include variations or not and if it did what were they? Also, it appeared that in one instance you were using averages but in another you used top percentile - mixing apples with oranges.

Produce the raw data and let us verify the numbers independently.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Dede1(m): 6:40am On Feb 22, 2009
oyb:

oyb:

@Omo oyb

You have posted yourself into Allah’s “wahala”. One of the members of your mosque, who is also a lady member of forum community, is irked about the pictorial Ikenga you stamped on the forum. Guess what, her sentiment was as good mine why a celebrated Peeping Tom such as you would switch interest to same sex.

I tried to put words for you but lady did not want any of my pleadings.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Dede1(m): 7:18am On Feb 22, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

@Post,

I studied your charts, your distributions are skewed. I noticed that in every categories the SE was above par. Did the data include variations or not and if it did what were they? Also, it appeared that in one instance you were using averages but in another you used top percentile - mixing apples with oranges.

Produce the raw data and let us verify the numbers independently.

I thought you have admitted that the combination of Biafra and Yoruba is the fuel that fires your ethnic eccentricity. Do you not think that current discourse is beyond your pedigree?

Since you took the wrong turn, I had to inform you that author had posited that the raw data came from the JAMB office. However, I have these nagging feelings that you will still jump off the bus when raw data are thrown at you. Believe you me; this is not the war both Alafin of Oyo Empire and Afonja of Illorin would want get involved. Again if you could grow out of laziness, you could call JAMB office and knock yourself out with raw data.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Nobody: 7:35am On Feb 22, 2009
Dede1:

@Omo oyb

You have posted yourself into Allah’s “wahala”.

daddy dede1,

your repeated attempts to knock on my well known hot buttons are neither 'refreshing nor interesting' grin grin grin

Dede1:

@Omo oyb

One of the members of your mosque, who is also a lady member of forum community, is irked about the pictorial Ikenga you stamped on the forum. Guess what, her sentiment was as good mine why a celebrated Peeping Tom such as you would switch interest to same sex.

I tried to put words for you but lady did not want any of my pleadings.

eh when you were hitting funmi with your wooden object , in her throes , she confessed shes actually a muslim? grin grin grin - DAMN! you must be good! grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by StFunmi(f): 10:16am On Feb 22, 2009
I think Dede 1 and OYB are in love, for real.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by StFunmi(f): 10:18am On Feb 22, 2009
BecomeRich, please help me spam this thread with google images.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by presido1: 11:34am On Feb 22, 2009
@Sauron
The chances of students getting admitted in SE areas are almost 100%(Nobody wants to really school there).
Don't believe u wrote this. Even in the state universities in SW students from SE make up good percantage of the school entire population not to talk of the Federal Unis.

For you to say lagosians don't want to school outside Lagos is flawed. Lagosian are in thousands in my Uni, my Uni wasn't in the SW for your information. If the yorubas can't get admission in Unilag, UI and Ife how come Igbo are in thousands to the extent of winning key posts in the SUG government in these three universities.

Non of you will believe the stats cuz it wasn't in your favour. Thats the fact.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by lucabrasi(m): 11:50am On Feb 22, 2009
I'd expect better comprehension from you, but let me restate:

1. The population 'census' measured people living in given states and did not record states of origin, so it cannot be used as a sufficient basis to determine the population of a given tribe, especially one as perspicacious as the Igbo.

2. Lagos is more populated than Bayelsa no doubt, but that is irrelevant for the most part because majority of the people IN Lagos do not claim to be FROM Lagos.

3. The statistics being quoted are reported STATES OF ORIGIN, not states of residence. It is entirely plausible that there is a higher population of Igbos living outside their geographically defined 'home zone' than other tribes.

4. 'Igboland' or the South East remains one of the most densely populated places in Nigeria, apart from Lagos or Kano. It is this extremely high population density (in addition to other factors) that has led to the massive migration to other parts of the country/world. In fact, the three states with the highest population density in Nigeria are Abia, Anambra and Enugu states

5. Are there demographic differences between the tribes in question? Do Igbo families have larger or smaller number of children compared to others? Was there a 'baby boom' at some point in the past that could be (partly) responsible for this trend?

6. The census figures have been disputed by many groups as representing a politically acceptable result (to the North that is) rather than the true state of things.

7. Rates of completion are not included in the data, neither are drop out statistics. All these different measures can give a more accurate picture than admission stats alone.

8. A more useful number could be the proportion of applicants from the respective zones, vis-a-vis the admission numbers. Another useful term could be the proportion of the eligible populations in the different zones actually in school, such measures are more indicative of trends that the ones used here.

In conclusion, this data is insufficient to make any far reaching determinations. It is what it is, showing higher enrollment numbers than the South West.

THE ONLY SENSIBLE AND TOTALLY OBJECTIVE COMMENT IN THE WHOLE THREAD!!!
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Dede1(m): 1:55pm On Feb 22, 2009
Nigerians are great in creating atmosphere of cacophony. What has population density got to do with hunger to swim in academia? The entire so-called zone of south-east is suddenly and favorably being compared with Lagos and Kano.

Please take this newly found facts to the central government in the jungle called Nigeria and request that south-east zone must have increase in funding because of the area’s population explosion.

For the sake of jokes and con men that are very much abound on this thread; let us apply the scenario of population density to Beyelsa, Lagos and Kano. Whichever way you slice it, there is no doubt that Beyelsa is a midget when compared with Lagos and Kano. However as one of my friends, Ibime, has correctly alluded in his previous posts, Beyelsa is wiping academic floors with giants like Lagos and Kano lately.

Please do not request of me the variables that contributed to the midget beating the pants off the giants in the arena of academia.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Dede1(m): 2:20pm On Feb 22, 2009
oyb:

daddy dede1,

your repeated attempts to knock on my well known hot buttons are neither 'refreshing nor interesting' grin grin grin

Omo oyb

What do you take me for? Why would I attempt to repeatedly knock on your well known hot buttons when such deed would unleash a serial Peeping Tom in your neighborhood? I do not want to be an accomplice to murder case since your neighborhood is under 24 hour surveillance mounted by stern-looking Area Boys. Please stay cool and control because the forum community does not want to lose your expertise as a roadside technician turned engineer.  grin grin grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 6:10pm On Feb 22, 2009
Debo

There is indeed, data to support university application which can be compared with actual admission. Please take a look at http://www.jambng.com/app_ume.php. What may be unavailable now is graduation data, something which the NYSC should handle, and not the JAMB. That said, it is not clear to me why, in your opinion, graduation should be relevant here, based on the title of the thread. In any case, I would like to believe that no one is insinuating that one tribe is more intelligent than the other, such that admitted members of tribe A will fail and drop out, while those of tribe B will go ahead and graduate. Inteligence is tribe-blind, I suppose. But thanks to Prof. Debo Ojerinde (the new head of JAMB), a new parameter has, last year, been added to the existing statistics, namely state-by-state performance in JAMB exam, in relation to specific subject areas. It is interesting to note that in terms of number of applicants who scored 70 percent and above in 2008, of the core science subjects (plus English), Rivers state beat other states in English, Maths, Chemistry and Physics, followed always by Imo (which led in Biology). Next are Anambra, Delta or Edo (these three in no order). The only subject that a southwest state (namely Ogun) trounced others is Accounting, an area which, I agree, the Yorubas are leading. This statistics can be found here http://www.jambng.com/per_ume.php. Thus, going through these statistics, it is clear that the south east is leading by far in terms of application and admission. In terms of performance, they are also among the top leaders based on combined regional assesment. In general, the north is no match for the south, and that is one of the issues dragging the country backwards.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 6:29pm On Feb 22, 2009
Infact the supporting title[b] (the statistics may surprise you)[/b] of this thread is a little bit misleading, as it tends to portray that Igbos have not always been going to school but only started doing so recently.  No doubt, Yoruba started going to school many years before the Igbo; however, just before the war Yorubas began to wonder how Igbos that started school only a few years back made the kind of impact they themselves did not make all those years, and they were wondering how the Igbo made it because by 1960, the vice chancellor of University of Ibadan was an Igbo and that was Prof. Kenneth Dike. The vice chancellor of University of Lagos was an Igbo man, Prof. Eni Njoku. Please do remember also that the then rector of Yaba College of Technology, Engr. Agbasi was an Igbo man. So, the pre-centre for excellence in Nigeria were in the hands of Igbomen and they also controlled the UNN (Nsukka). These events are verifiable.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Ibime(m): 6:32pm On Feb 22, 2009
Afaukwu, thanks for the link (http://www.jambng.com/per_ume.php)

We can now compare Rivers State to Yoruba states in the following subjects:

[size=14pt]Maths[/size] (no of students who scored above 70% in 2008)

Rivers State - 1710
Oyo State    -   428
Ondo State  -   337
Ogun State  -   745
Osun State  -   395
Lagos State -   535
Ekiti State    -   265

[size=14pt]English[/size] (no of students who scored above 70% in 2008)

Rivers State - 6000
Oyo State    -   814
Ondo State  -   899
Ogun State  - 1407
Osun State  -   860
Lagos State -   971
Ekiti State    -   603

I shall not even bother with Physics, Chemistry and Biology. We can already see a stark pattern emerging.  smiley

The English results also confirm my assertion that Rivers State indigenes speak the best English in Naija.

Since these results are based on state of origin, how can Rivers State (with a small number of indigenous inhabitants) trounce Ogun State etc handsdown.

I have said it before - The South-West need to get their act together!  grin  grin grin

After now, they will say all we know is fishing and militancy.  angry angry angry Despite all the civil unrest (and alternative source of livelihood) in Rivers State, we are still killing them.  grin grin grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 6:36pm On Feb 22, 2009
Ibime, thanks too. I am running out of time. Could you please present a comparative post of SE and SW states for the five subjects of Eng, maths, phy, chem and bio. A beg no vex. Thanks.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 6:40pm On Feb 22, 2009
State-by-State performance for Agric (man must wak) is led by Benue, followed by Oyo

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Ibime(m): 6:52pm On Feb 22, 2009
Afaukwu:

Ibime, thanks too. I am running out of time. Could you please present a comparative post of SE and SW states for the five subjects of Eng, maths, phy, chem and bio. A beg no vex. Thanks.

I no get time for that - but we all know Igbo states (especially Imo) are doing well in the core subjects.

Meanwhile, I have found one subject where the South-West is leading - Yoruba!  grin

I have also found another subject where the North is leading - Arabic!  grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 6:58pm On Feb 22, 2009
English (70% and above, 2008)
                  male    Female
Imo           1,977   2,056
Anambra   1,227   1,330
Abia          1,181   1,106
Enugu        625     506
Ebonyi       429     221
Lagos        536     435
Ogun         746    661
Ondo         556    343
Osun         491    371
Ekiti         355     258
Oyo         476     338

Mathes (70% and above, 2008)
                  male  Female
Imo             613      475     
Anambra    304      263
Abia           307      238         
Enugu         121      97   
Ebonyi       67      36     
Lagos        315    220     
Ogun         467   278   
Ondo        220    117   
Osun        273   122 
Ekiti          173   92   
Oyo          287   141 

Physics (70% and above, 2008)
                  male  Female
Imo            1,293    958
Anambra    702      507
Abia           580      388
Enugu         553     329
Ebonyi       67        36     
Lagos        356    206
Ogun         664    358
Ondo        463     208
Osun        451     239
Ekiti          276    149
Oyo          421     224
Rivers      1,447   702

Chemistry (70% and above, 2008)
                  Male  Female
Imo            1,229    935
Anambra    603      387
Abia           553      394
Enugu         358     203
Ebonyi       114     72
Lagos        414     259
Ogun         602     351
Ondo        444     233
Osun        413     213
Ekiti          273     134
Oyo          419     206
Rivers       1,417   703

Biology (70% and above, 2008)
Male Female
Imo 556 1,024
Anambra 366 498
Abia 283 451
Enugu 212 167
Ebonyi 128 96
Lagos 114 154
Ogun 220 248
Ondo 182 181
Osun 145 155
Ekiti 91 113
Oyo 152 155
Rivers 601 845

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Adelakun Adenike, University Of Ibadan Best Graduating Pharmacy Student / Nigerian Lecturers Spend Tetfund Research Grants On Cars, Houses – Tetfund / Nairalanders Please Is It Filling Station Or Fueling Station?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.