Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

Don't Let These 15 Mindsets Stand As Obstacles To Your Financial Freedom - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Don't Let These 15 Mindsets Stand As Obstacles To Your Financial Freedom (1103 Views)

5 Dangerous Mindsets That Can Hurt You On The Long Run / 10 Mindsets Of Billionaires / Differences Between The Mindsets Of The Rich And The Average (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Let These 15 Mindsets Stand As Obstacles To Your Financial Freedom by MWTH(m): 6:37pm On Jun 13, 2015
No doubt, most of us came from a humble beginning like we would always appreciate it being called. But in its real sense a “Poor Background” – and sadly, we get so comfortable with it for the rest of our lives, at old age we tend to transfer this same mindset to our born and unborn children just the same way our parents sold it to us.

We are most times immersed in this state of mind and plagued by the thoughts, ideas and actions of the poor. Many of us are found in this web of becoming “unconsciously envious” of someone who was caught in this poverty stricken web like us once they start making progress. And then we start wishing these persons a fall from grace unconsciously too.

Now, if you came from a poor background like me, where my parents had great intentions but few ways to create financial freedom, then there is a good chance you are still hovering around the mindset that has stood in your way as obstacles from breaking loose and taking your destiny headlong towards financial freedom.

The difference between you and those wealthy or “big shots” as we would always refer to them is simply the fact that their mindsets and the actions that follow their everyday life with respect to money, wealth, finances and investments has a whole lot that you need to learn from.
In my study with a few of them, I would like to share these 15 common mindsets that hinders most of us from getting our financial freedom:

1. "I just want an average life."

This is one phrase that’s commonly used by the poor mindsets. And somehow they settle for it and it naturally becomes their comfort zone. These obviously compromises with any possibility of financial freedom. There is no way, someone with the mindset of having an average lifestyle can ever save enough money for retirement. http://www.money-zine.com/financial-planning/retirement/best-time-to-retire/ To this end, most people including our parents got stalked with their jobs and they kept working until they were forced out from their jobs at old age. They couldn’t leave at retirement age because they didn’t save enough money to cater for themselves in the future especially after job. During periods of economic contractions, they hardly can stand the travails that comes with it, thus hastening them to a premature death or deformations that leaves them at the mercy of death.

2. "I need to start making money."

When I first heard my coach talked about the wrong concepts about the word “Make Money” I realized I had actually been misplacing priorities. You do not have any right to make money buddy. Lol… That’s actually the job of the Federal Government and not yours. In fact, it is against the law to make money. The Federal Government through CBN manufactures money at their economic discretions except if you already have the rights and tools to do so.
The mindset that you need to make money limits you to believing you must trade time for money. But in real sense, you must trade value for money simply put by Jim Rohn. So you must as a matter of urgency quit thinking about making money and think in terms of creating value and getting paid for it. “When you trade something of value with the public you will get money in return”. – Grant Cardone

3. "Bigger Things Kill Faster."

I am really sorry you have been in this mess for too long. It is absolutely wrong to think that “Bigger Things Kill Faster”. Thank God, Poverty is much bigger. So it kills “Fastest” – Please permit that jargon. In fact, Bigger is better, more is glorious, much more is absolute freedom. You must quit thinking little. The best and most successful companies in the world are in the range of big, bigger, biggest. To remain little or small saps a lot of energy. The 10X Rule by GC says “ go 10 times bigger than you think is necessary. It’s more fun and it gives you a better chance of succeeding”.
Excerpts from GC:
“Over the last 12 months I have interviewed more than 50 very successful entrepreneurs that run million-dollar companies to $100 million companies that started with nothing. Almost every one of them shared with me that their biggest regret was not thinking bigger from the beginning.”

4. "More money, more problems."

This is simply an idea that those without money use to justify having less and being broke. If more money is more problems, then bring on the problems, because I tried being broke and that was more than just a problem. Quit trying to make being rich look ugly -- it’s not.
The truth is that the more money you have, the more control and choices you have over every aspect of your life. If you are sitting in a first class seat, it doesn’t mean you won’t have a drunk sitting next to you. Buying your own jet allows you to control who gets on it, but now you have to hire two pilots, a mechanic and feed the airplane. More money means new problems, not more problems.

5. "It takes money to make money."

I got so sick many times thinking about this too. I used this excuse many times and more as a broked ass. I got tired of hearing myself whispering it to my ears that I could not even wake up from my bed many times. It got me even lazier both in mind and in my actions.
But in reality, check out most millionaires today, more than three quarters of all millionaires today are first generation millionaires. That means that they are ordinary people who got rich because they had the courage to follow up on their ideas. They were challenged by that discomfort in the zone of poverty. You could be too you know.
The phrase, "it takes money to make money" is completely incorrect. It takes money to make more money instead. While later in life the rich use their money to create wealth, in the beginning stages it only takes courage and persistence to create money. This belief that you first need money makes you a victim and gives you no way out.
I have been here many times. Having so much money to play around with and yet getting broke. Started all over again with no money and in less than 2 years I am in a position to never be broke again.

6. "Money doesn't grow on trees."

What the heck does this phrase mean? Simply telling you that the money is scarce, the ocean is dry, limit spending, it is hard to find, and you know what? Some mild definition would be that it is a limited resources. So spend with care.
But take a look at this situation; The Government spends over N4 trillion yearly. And you would agree there is something near $49 trillion too right? Put all the bank’s deposits together as captured on paper and you would agree with me that what we have is even much more than what grows on trees. The only shortage of money on earth is in the mind of those that don’t have money. Period.

7. "I’m Counting Days – 24th of the Month."

We get so engrossed with the 24th day of every month especially corporate work force so much that our mindset gets limited to that pay checks that can never foot our entire bills. It simply indicates that the work force of our great country “Nigeria” is constantly trading time for money every day. Is your time worth N208.33 an hour (assuming you are working for an average of 8 hours per day and 30 days per month) or N100,000 an hour? The reality is no matter how much you get you are still selling time and you only have so much of it.
The rich exchange Naira for time because they know time is more valuable than money. Unwilling to trade money, the average person believes the only way to make more money is to work more hours. Big money requires thinking about money without time considerations -- think Bigger money. It recognizes time dearie.

8. "Money is the root of all evil."

Hahahahahaa! This gets me laughing almost every time. You know what? You were sold the wrong idea. The actual saying is "the love of money is the root of all evil.” It has been passed down inaccurately and become misunderstood that money is somehow evil. Rich is right, not wrong. Bill Gates told a college class, “if you are born poor it’s not your fault, if you stay poor it is.”
I believe it is evil to not be able to provide for my family, fund my church, take a trip, grow my business and feed my dreams or even grease the palm of my colleagues.

9. "A penny saved is a penny earned."

Believe this and you will never have financial freedom. A penny saved is a penny and if you spend your life thinking about pennies you will never create financial freedom. Saving in itself is not bad, but the masses are so focused on saving that they never advance their money. No one ever got rich saving money, they just got old.

10. "Money can't buy you happiness."

Oh preacher! Get the hell out of my presence. I have never met a rich person that was trying to get happy while they were trying to get rich. These two things can’t be chased together. Money begets happiness. I can attest to this any day because I have been there too. In fact happiness comes when you get freedom. And freedom comes with more money. As a matter of fact, I have never tried looking for happiness. I have been seeking a meaningful life where I am free to do what I want to do and what I love the most. And my money gives me that freedom or meaningful life which translates to happiness.
I know many happy and unhappy people. Regardless of how much money they have. I can assure you that they still like having the freedom to spend money without constant worry. There is no way money can make you unhappy -- it’s just money.
My advice here is simple; If you are going to be unhappy, don’t be broke too.

11. "A penny for your thoughts."

How poor a mindset for God sake? It is quite destructive to think that your ideas could be traded for pennies. This also goes a long way to show how little people value their time and money. I own six businesses. They all started with ideas and were followed up with actions. The guys that created Diamond Bank, UBA, MTN, Zenith Bank, Facebook, Mr. Biggs, Tito Yoghurt, Drumsticks, Channels TV, Dangote Group and the likes all had ideas and they didn’t trade them for pennies.
Quit thinking about pennies and quit demeaning your ideas. Your possibilities are limited only by thoughts, ideas and actions. Do not and I mean DON’T Trade Your Ideas For Pennies.

12. "Rich people are selfish."

And so? Is that why you wouldn’t get rich and stop begging for money? Alright I understand your challenges. You probably were meant to be poor – And you have resolved that it’s your destiny. That’s the Mindset right?
Let me be honest, I have learnt to be selfish after getting broke many times and trying to source for funds from those who have. They never let go what they have at hand without at least expecting twice the amount in return. If you are not selfish, you will get broke like I once had.
Today, I give monies out only when I know it will bring something into my coffers. I learnt about this from my coach. And it is paying hugely, especially when you don’t know how to keep financial records. This has a protective side to your investments like ensuring that you are never broke to have to depend on anyone financially. My father got broke trying to be a “father Christmas”. My mother died struggling to be a “mother Christmas”. I had to struggle through life trying to get financial freedom without anyone asking to give a helping hand instead they prefer to come and take and drive me to broke ass again. The truth is, whether you like it or not, they will never appreciate you giving them anything. If you like surrender your whole life to them. You will still be tagged selfish. And the day you get broke, they will remind you of never ever assisting their wolflike lives. You have to be selfish so that you can take care of your own, your happiness, and your family.
It takes a bit of selfishness and self-esteem to prioritize taking care of yourself and creating financial freedom so that you don’t become a problem for others. If you don’t think enough of your own finances how are you ever going to make the difficult decisions and necessary choices for your spouse, children, community, and your future?
You better get somewhat selfish until you have something to share -- whether it is opportunity, money or wisdom. I'm sick of people saying, “If I had his money I would help so many people,” but they can’t help anyone financially, because they never focused on their own finances. They then live a life talking about what they would do, and not what they can do.

13. "The Time Is Not Convenient."

Time has never been friendly. In the words of the Apostles, “The Kingdom of God suffers violence and only the Violent takes it by force”. Generally speaking, every man suffers time, and it is only those with a purposeful violent mindset, that grabs time and utilizes it no matter what the word “convenience” could mean.
Time is insufficient anyday and anytime. Those who make judicious use of their time usually place priorities for whatever they do considering the limited time they have.
You can’t make money with a mindset that undermines “Time Management Skills”. So stop giving excuses about time and make ultimate use of the little time available while it last.

14. "It’s a Spiritual Attack."

If there is a spiritual attack preventing you from having your financial freedom, then you are definitely the spirit. So cast yourself out now.
Why would someone who knows what to do to make money and fails to do it claim that a spirit somewhere is standing in your way?
Do you know that these sets of people can have a 40 day fasting and prayers asking God to deliver them from the hands of the spirits, whereas, if they had spent just 24 hours to think through creating value for money they would have long gone from the presence of the spiritual forces?
You can only get poorer my dear friend if you don’t stop hanging in there for endless prayers and fasting. In fact, I am proposing this to pastors reading my piece. If you have a member that can stay in your church day and night fasting and praying longer than 24 hours, please chase that man out to go and look for something to do. They can’t contribute to the church. Instead, they will sap the church dry. They are the familiar evil spirits.
We need to be very sincere with ourselves. And as a pastor, if you allow a member dwell in the church for too long, it means you don’t even have contact with God. Are you running a hospital? C’mon……. This is very annoying.

15. "Haba, I Need To Succeed In One First”.

Really? Did I hear you saying that to me or yourself? Listen! Multiple streams of income is the surest way to staying rich. Someone called me one day and asked if I was the one on the Radio (Raypower FM) and I said Yes! And she said, “ahn ahn… only you? How can you run many businesses at a time and be successful? Tim, concentrate on one first na”.

Yea that’s true and I hung up. Few months later, she came asking me to let her into my Real Estate business. And I told her, “I don’t think you can manage two businesses at a time”.

It dawned on her immediately. As soon as she realized what I meant, she was embarrassed and told me it was ignorance on her path.
Now listen to this…. You can be in your best with a whole lot of businesses in your hand. Just find a way to manage it all. These businesses have seasons just like every man’s life.

“A time to sell and a time with no sales”.

When pepper is not selling, and salt is selling, at least you won’t go home broke. So why get stalked with one business when you know you can explore various management skills to handle the very numerous businesses you want to have?

The fact is if you are already rich, you need to up your game and start thinking the way the super wealthy do. If not, maybe it's time to change the way you think about money.

Any rich person will tell you anyone can get rich. Any wealthy person will tell you the same. Get rid of the mindsets that have stood as obstacles to your financial freedom.

Get your friends, family and associates on the same page with you. Remember, you are surrounded by limited thinking – 80 percent of Nigerians Are Unemployed. http://www.informationng.com/2014/06/80-of-nigerian-youths-are-unemployed-cbn-official.html and 112.5 million Nigerians live in poverty http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/112-5-million-nigerians-live-in-poverty-nbs/

Obviously it means a large number of Nigerians have the wrong information. And it is also a very huge market. So go all out and create value so they can pay you.

www.marketingwithtrumphills.com

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Let These 15 Mindsets Stand As Obstacles To Your Financial Freedom by mysyto(m): 6:50pm On Jun 13, 2015
thump up bro.....
Re: Don't Let These 15 Mindsets Stand As Obstacles To Your Financial Freedom by adexsimply(m): 6:57pm On Jun 13, 2015
Nice points. cool
Re: Don't Let These 15 Mindsets Stand As Obstacles To Your Financial Freedom by Alimtoheeb(m): 7:19pm On Jun 13, 2015
Thanks for this great and helping writeup...........gonna make judicious use of it when d time comes.
Re: Don't Let These 15 Mindsets Stand As Obstacles To Your Financial Freedom by Kutunban: 12:22pm On Jun 14, 2015
Wow! That's an intelligent write up, most folks have the mentalities mentioned by the OP but it takes good coaching and training to change the mindset of some people. Keep it up OP.
Re: Don't Let These 15 Mindsets Stand As Obstacles To Your Financial Freedom by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jun 14, 2015
Nice tips. Came at the right time. Thanks.
Re: Don't Let These 15 Mindsets Stand As Obstacles To Your Financial Freedom by Acme77: 6:53pm On Jun 14, 2015
thanks

(1) (Reply)

.............. / The Power Sector In Nigeria: Legal Prospects, Issues And Challenges. / Naira Crashes To All Time Low Against US Dollar Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.