Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,099 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:26 AM

Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) (4485 Views)

Did Jesus Ever Speak In Tongues?? / Joys Oyedepo: "I Am Crazy, i'm Not A Walking Replica Of My Mother" / Oyedepo & Kumuyi Meet At Abuja Stadium To Pray For Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by Nobody: 10:07am On Jun 14, 2015
I was reading a book by Bishop David Oyedepo titled The Healing Balm. In one of the chapters, Oyedepo said believers are not meant to fall sick because Jesus didn't fall sick.

But there is a passage in the bible that confirms or suggests that Jesus was most of the time unwell. Read Isaiah 53:1-12. In this passage, it is even revealed that Jesus was so ugly and sick almost all the time that men thought he was afflicted by God.
Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by delishpot: 10:10am On Jun 14, 2015
Na so all these modern day preachers dey decieve people. Christianity does not mean one wont face affliction at all. The ones who are healthy and strong are not better than those who suffer afflictions. We can only pray and ask to be blessed health wise and all.

He is missleading believers. I hope people dont fall for that ish sha.
Some pastors can frustrate people sha. They make peoples situation worse instead of encouraging them through difficult times. I know 100% a pastor who preaches this same ish, but the day he fell sick, I and a brother had to sneak him to the hospital. It happened in 2006. No be dem say dem say o, I was there as God is my withness. I was there when he got his injections. He went for 3 days and completed his therapy. Meanwhile, a brother from the same fellowship was sick and was not encouraged to go for treatment. He so believed that his papa got healed by faith and that he will also tap into his papas annointing and get his healing. God have mercy on mankind.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by Nobody: 10:11am On Jun 14, 2015
Interesting.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by Nobody: 10:23am On Jun 14, 2015
delishpot:
Na so all these modern day preachers dey decieve people. Christianity does not mean one wont face affliction at all. The ones who are healthy and strong are not better than those who suffer afflictions. We can only pray and ask to be blessed health wise and all.

He is missleading believers. I hope people dont fall for that ish sha.
Some pastors can frustrate people sha. They make peoples situation worse instead of encouraging them through difficult times. I know 100% a pastor who preaches this same ish, but the day he fell sick, I and a brother had to sneak him to the hospital. It happened in 2006. No be dem say dem say o, I was there as God is my withness. I was there when he got his injections. He went for 3 days and completed his therapy. Meanwhile, a brother from the same fellowship was sick and was not encouraged to go for treatment. He so believed that his papa got healed by faith and that he will also tap into his papas annointing and get his healing. God have mercy on mankind.

Exactly, bro. And most of these Christians are too lazy to help themselves. Imagine, my girlfriend almost broke up with me cos I dared to challenge her bishop, in spite of showing her the bible verses.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by delishpot: 10:25am On Jun 14, 2015
hifaif:

Exactly, bro. And most of these Christians are too lazy to help themselves. Imagine, my girlfriend almost broke up with me cos I dared to challenge her bishop.

Haba, She nor get work. That is how many Nigerians behave. They can eat their Daddy GO's fresh shit if he says to do so. They dont fear God but they fear man.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by pinkiberry(m): 10:30am On Jun 14, 2015
no cos he is God.

2 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by Nobody: 10:52am On Jun 14, 2015
pinkiberry:
no cos he is God.

Really? So why was he hungry after fasting for 40 days? Why did he bleed when he was nailed. Why did he die? If he could do all these things, why couldn't he be sick?

Please, read the bible verses provided in the OP?
Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by Nobody: 10:55am On Jun 14, 2015
Oyedepo is full of shit, he knows nothing about christianity. angry
Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by EricSmallz(m): 11:12am On Jun 14, 2015
My people perish 4 Lack of Knowledge.. Jesus indeed never felt sick.. That Bible verse was what Isaiah Said to Jerusalem and Judea about how Jesus surfered becos of our sins... The Bible is not a story book. U need the Holy Spirit to interpret the wordings to U. Dnt construe it like an Ordinary book... Why even looking 4 A man of Gods Error? Be Positive and conscious of what u say.. God Is Perfect... Avoid His Wrath. God Bless

2 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jun 14, 2015
EricSmallz:
My people perish 4 Lack of Knowledge.. Jesus indeed never felt sick.. That Bible verse was what Isaiah Said to Jerusalem and Judea about how Jesus surfered becos of our sins... The Bible is not a story book. U need the Holy Spirit to interpret the wordings to U. Dnt construe it like an Ordinary book... Why even looking 4 A man of Gods Error? Be Positive and conscious of what u say.. God Is Perfect... Avoid His Wrath. God Bless

Oyedepo said Jesus never fell sick. Isaiah confirmed that he was sickly. You can't twist that scripture, Sir.

And why shouldn't I challenge Oyedepo? To you, he is a man of God, to me, he is just another businessman.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jun 14, 2015
Jagoon:
Oyedepo is full of shit, he knows nothing about christianity. angry

Exactly.

1 Like

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jun 14, 2015
hifaif:

Oyedepo said Jesus never fell sick. Isaiah confirmed that he was sickly. You can't twist that scripture, Sir.

And why shouldn't I challenge Oyedepo? To you, he is a man of God, to me, he is just another businessman.

I just checked the isaiah verse, it didn't use the word sickly rather "weak/pain" which means something entirely different

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by HCpaul(m): 12:53pm On Jun 14, 2015
hifaif:

There is nothing wrong in becoming a businessman, even as a saint, bishop, prophet, and apostles.

Have you not heard or read where Jesus said that he is busy doing his father's bussiness.

Business is life.

1 Like

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jun 14, 2015
HCpaul:

There is nothing wrong in becoming a businessman, even as a saint, bishop, prophet, and apostles.

Have you not heard or read where Jesus said that he is busy doing his father's bussiness.

Business is life.

Jesus father's business was not about making money from his followers and reaping them off like oyedepo does, his Father's business was about giving hope to and helping the poor and the needy.
Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by Maximus85(m): 1:10pm On Jun 14, 2015
hifaif:
I was reading a book by Bishop David Oyedepo titled The Healing Balm. In one of the chapters, Oyedepo said believers are not meant to fall sick because Jesus didn't fall sick.

But there is a passage in the bible that confirms or suggests that Jesus was most of the time unwell. Read Isaiah 53:1-12. In this passage, it is even revealed that Jesus was so ugly and sick almost all the time that men thought he was afflicted by God.

Bro, the reason we fall sick and die is because we inherited sin so we are sinners, imperfect.

Jesus on the other hand is not a sinner. He is perfect and so, he can't fall sick though he may be tired and exhausted. That the Bible called him ugly and sick means he suffered soooo much.
Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by EricSmallz(m): 1:19pm On Jun 14, 2015
hifaif:

... Go and Read NLT BIBLE
Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by Goshen360(m): 1:47pm On Jun 14, 2015
hifaif:

You and Oyedepo are wrong!

You are wrong in the sense that, Christ never was sick in his body. The passage you quoted described The Suffering of the Messiah by the way of the Cross. It has nothing to do with physical sickness in the body.

Oyedepo on the other hand; A Christian can fall sick due to many reasons (malnutrition, infection etc) even though healing is already available in the finished works of Christ and in His blood.

2 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jun 14, 2015
EricSmallz:

What a tangled web Christians weave! The suffering servant can NEVER be the Messiah. The OP raises questions that are far more in-depth than is apparent. Oh, and any book that requires spirit interpretation is not worth the paper it is printed on. What is required is clarity and common sense.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by sdavirus: 9:12am On Jun 15, 2015
Unfortunately, the OP is more interested in Oyedepo knowing nothing about the Bible, than enlightening. In your quest to show that you are superior in knowledge to Oyedepo and other Christians, you have just insinuated that he is not a man of God....If he is a fake, it's left to God to judge him, but if he's truly God's servant, then the judgement of God would certainly be on your life, cos you shouldn't forget what God said about idle words. You guys should build each other up, rather than tear yourselves down. Muslims, atheists, see stuff like this and just shake their heads.

2 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jun 15, 2015
sdavirus:
Unfortunately, the OP is more interested in Oyedepo knowing nothing about the Bible, than enlightening. In your quest to show that you are superior in knowledge to Oyedepo and other Christians, you have just insinuated that he is not a man of God....If he is a fake, it's left to God to judge him, but if he's truly God's servant, then the judgement of God would certainly be on your life, cos you shouldn't forget what God said about idle words. You guys should build each other up, rather than tear yourselves down. Muslims, atheists, see stuff like this and just shake their heads.

I am not a Christian. I was a Muslim before I became a Secular Humanist. But I studied Church History.

Oyedepo blundered and I pointed it out so that those who worship him can see that he is just a man like them.

2 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jun 15, 2015
Goshen360:

You and Oyedepo are wrong!

You are wrong in the sense that, Christ never was sick in his body. The passage you quoted described The Suffering of the Messiah by the way of the Cross. It has nothing to do with physical sickness in the body.

Oyedepo on the other hand; A Christian can fall sick due to many reasons (malnutrition, infection etc) even though healing is already available in the finished works of Christ and in His blood.

Once, even Jesus confirmed that people always told him to heal himself. I will look for the verse.
Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by NnaNna4(m): 6:17pm On Jun 15, 2015
ISAIAH 53: 1- 12

1 Who has believed our message
and to whom has the arm of the
LORD been revealed?

2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

3 He was despised and rejected by mankind,
a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
Like one from whom people hide their faces he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.

4 Surely he took up our pain
and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God, stricken by him, and afflicted.

5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
and by his wounds we are healed.

6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to our own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed and afflicted,
yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.

8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away.
Yet who of his generation protested?
For he was cut off from the land of the living;
for the transgression of my people he was punished.

9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
nor was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it was the LORD’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the LORD makes his life an offering for sin,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand.

11 After he has suffered,he will see the light of life and be satisfied ; by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many,
and he will bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,
and he will divide the spoils with the strong,
because he poured out his life unto death,
and was numbered with the transgressors.
For he bore the sin of many,
and made intercession for the transgressors.
Read Isaiah 53
Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by Image123(m): 11:17pm On Jun 15, 2015
hifaif:

Sure, believers are not meant to fall sick, just like believers are not meant to sin, or be poor, or be defeated by satan, or lacking faith, or discouraged, or careless, or prayerless. That is God's ultimate plan and we can have the Kingdom of Heaven or at least a taste of the powers here on earth. There is no denial that many believers, even in the Bible, are sick, sin, poor, defeated, lacking faith, discouraged, careless and prayerless. However, it can be unto you according to your faith, trust in God, and revelation.
Did Jesus live a sickly, defeated life? Certainly not. Was Jesus overcome by sickness, i'm sure He was not. Was Jesus ever sick? i am not sure but i do not rule it out. Why? Because He lived here on earth with the human nature and feelings, and went through what we gop through, and He overcame.
Heb 4:15 For we have not a high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
So, He did take upon Himself the likeness of men, and BARE our sicknesses. If He bare our sicknesses, then definitely He was sick on the cross if not any other place. But does the Bible say that Jesus was most of the time unwell? No, it does not. Isaiah 52 ending and then 53 is a picture of the time of His Passion, which was just a couple of days. Jesus did not live for a couple of days on earth, He was here well over 30 years.

Isa 52:14 As many were astonished at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men:
This refers to how much He suffered and was disfigured worse than a common thief by the soldiers and others who smote and beat Him, and mocked and scorned Him before He was eventually crucified. The change and look was so much different from the Lord of glory that He is. His visage was that marred.

Isa 53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
Isa 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

This passage and the rest of the chapter clearly refers to His crucifixion saga. Else, in the same vein, if one interprets one phrase to mean His entire life or almost all the time, then in parallel the rest of the passage should be equally interpreted in the same context. But we all know that Jesus was not despised and rejected almost all the time. He was not in grief or sorrow all the time. He did not bear our griefs and sorrows, neither was He wounded for transgressions almost all the time. It was at the time around His passion.

2 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by jcross19: 7:40am On Jun 16, 2015
hifaif:

heyah, is that your problem? Let me explain a bit to in isaiah 53 vs 4 -5 says : surely he hath. Borne our griefs,and carried our sorrow: yet we did esteem him stricken,smitten of God , and afflicted. 5)but he was wounded for our transgressions,he was bruised for our iniquities : the chastisement of our peace of our peace was upon him and with his stripes we are healed. Most of those words are figurative and to be clear to you another name of sickness in bible is SIN if you don't know and why they portrayed him in that verse he has to carried our burden and burden include sin, sick, affliction, death,and many more in all through his pain we receive salvation. Well let me tell you one thing 26 years now I have not fell sick after saved from coma if you like believe or not but the truth is say what about a perfect spirit in human flesh?

1 Like

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by Nobody: 9:31am On Jun 16, 2015
jcross19:
heyah, is that your problem? Let me explain a bit to in isaiah 53 vs 4 -5 says : surely he hath. Borne our griefs,and carried our sorrow: yet we did esteem him stricken,smitten of God , and afflicted. 5)but he was wounded for our transgressions,he was bruised for our iniquities : the chastisement of our peace of our peace was upon him and with his stripes we are healed. Most of those words are figurative and to be clear to you another name of sickness in bible is SIN if you don't know and why they portrayed him in that verse he has to carried our burden and burden include sin, sick, affliction, death,and many more in all through his pain we receive salvation. Well let me tell you one thing 26 years now I have not fell sick after saved from coma if you like believe or not but the truth is say what about a perfect spirit in human flesh?

Oh really? You have not fallen sick in 26 years because you have been sinless for 26 years, right? Since you think sin is sickness. Are you trying to tell me that you have been SINLESS for 26 years?

1 Like

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by trafters: 12:23pm On Jun 16, 2015
My question is this, how does Oyedepo or anyone know without a shadow of doubt that Jesus never fell ill at anytime in his lifetime? Is it just because he should not fall sick because he is God or because it was not written in the bible? The truth is that there are many things about Jesus that were not written in the bible, for example, there was no record of him having a bath, urinating or defeating. There was no record of his general sleeping positions or if he ever had a wet dream. This then begs the question, did he ever do all these things? He probably did them all and even more but they are not written in the bible.
Now if you claim he cannot be sick because he is God then I will say he should not poo poo because he is God but that of course is almost untrue.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by trafters: 12:25pm On Jun 16, 2015
jcross19:

My father in law has not fallen ill in the last 40 years and he is not a practicing Christian.

3 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by jcross19: 2:24pm On Jun 16, 2015
hifaif:

Oh really? You have not fallen sick in 26 years because you have been sinless for 26 years, right? Since you think sin is sickness. Are you trying to tell me that you have been SINLESS for 26 years?
I was a bad boy, I mean bad boy but now I have only giving my life to christ not less than 3years now. Am only trying to tell you that as an imperfect being I am , I was not sick over 26years compare to perfect spirit in human body. Sin affect your spirit and make your spirit sick.

1 Like

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by jcross19: 2:28pm On Jun 16, 2015
trafters:

My father in law has not fallen ill in the last 40 years and he is not a practicing Christian.
if your father in-law have not fell sick over 40 years then is possible for jesus stay without sickness for 33years and jesus is a healer of all kind of sickness.

2 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by trafters: 12:31am On Jun 21, 2015
jcross19:
if your father in-law have not fell sick over 40 years then is possible for jesus stay without sickness for 33years and jesus is a healer of all kind of sickness.

It's not impossible that Jesus never fell ill but that is in the realm of speculation. It makes no difference wether you are a great healer or Mr. Nobody, your body's defence system decides wether you will fall Ill. It was never written in the bible that Jesus fell ill the same way it was never written that he went to the toilet or had his bath naked

1 Like

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by francizy(m): 7:13am On Jun 21, 2015
So according to Mr. Private Jets, if a Christian should fall sick, then the person is not a believer? What about Deeper Life G.O who fell sick sometimes last year or so? Now according to Mr. 4privateJets, the GO of Deeper Life is an unbeliever? I even regard that Deeper Life GO more than him because Deeper Life preaches more of morality than prosperity and tithe payments.

2 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) by kinglekan: 8:23am On Jun 21, 2015
hifaif:

I am not a Christian. I was a Muslim before I became a Secular Humanist. But I studied Church History.

Oyedepo blundered and I pointed it out so that those who worship him can see that he is just a man like them.

First off, you said you were reading his book titled "Healing Balm". Mind if I ask you why you were reading it?

Were you truly searching for knowledge, or were you reading it to pass away time or was it just to find loop holes just to raise an argument with your gf?

Secondly I am very sure you are aware that the statement "Christians ARE NOT MEANT to fall sick" and "Christians CANNOT fall sick" do not convey the same meaning.

Thirdly the scripture you quoted (Isaiah 53:1-12), you actually quoted out of context. Isaiah spoke in prophetic terms and he made reference to the sufferings of Christ from the point of his arrest. (Read the TLB translation for a better understanding)

You don't even seem to be too sure of what you posted cause you said "...it CONFIRMS or SUGGEST.....".

So why do you feel the need to convince people to believe in what you posted?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Christianity, Idolatory And Worship Of Four "Fake" Jesus / 31st Night With Pastor Chris Oyakhilome / Can The Devil Understand Us When We Speak In Tongues?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.