Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,846 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:33 AM

Common Day To Day Grammatical Blunder In English Language - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Day To Day Grammatical Blunder In English Language (749 Views)

13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance / 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid / National Board For Technical Education Signpost With Public Grammatical Blunder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Day To Day Grammatical Blunder In English Language by mrbillz(m): 5:51pm On Jun 15, 2015
-Don't say "I'm going to come late"; say
"I will be late."
(except where you are going to is
'come late')
-Don't say "I'm angry with you"; say "I'm
angry at you". (it's just like being mad at someone or
looking at someone)
-Don't say "I'm looking for
employment"; say "I'm seeking
employment".
(employment is not missing, you just want to be hired)
-Don't say "take"; say "have it".
(it's just the right word to use)
-Don't say "how has been your day?";
say "how is your day?"
('is' in the sentence expresses continuity) Feel free to add yours and let others learn. "learning is like sailing an ocean no one has seen it whole"

1 Like

Re: Common Day To Day Grammatical Blunder In English Language by PhunsukhWangdu(m): 6:51pm On Jun 15, 2015
Don't say " I'll write you or I'll send you " unless you want to write the word 'you' or you want to send the word 'you'

You should say instead: I'll write to you or I'll send to you
Re: Common Day To Day Grammatical Blunder In English Language by MythAngel: 8:46pm On Jun 15, 2015
Well! Appreciated . But I should tell you that: trying to restructure your spoken English in such a society , in which there is a blur line between structurally correct and the crued, will only make others see you as being too formal and would resent your fine effort. In brief, we don't live in a sane society. In no way should it hinder those who believe in doing things in the most appropriate manner .
Re: Common Day To Day Grammatical Blunder In English Language by mrbillz(m): 9:00pm On Jun 15, 2015
PhunsukhWangdu:
Don't say " I'll write you or I'll send you " unless you want to write the word 'you' or you want to send the word 'you'

You should say instead: I'll write to you or I'll send to you
nice one from you bro
Re: Common Day To Day Grammatical Blunder In English Language by mrbillz(m): 9:03pm On Jun 15, 2015
MythAngel:
Well! Appreciated . But I should tell you that: trying to restructure your spoken English in such a society , in which there is a blur line between structurally correct and the crued, will only make others see you as being too formal and would resent your fine effort. In brief, we don't live in a sane society. In no way should it hinder those who believe in doing things in the most appropriate manner .
I acknowledge that bro! We can only get better
Re: Common Day To Day Grammatical Blunder In English Language by peculiarabacus(m): 11:44pm On Jun 15, 2015
mrbillz:
-Don't say "I'm going to come late"; say
"I will be late."
(except where you are going to is
'come late')
-Don't say "I'm angry with you"; say "I'm
angry at you". (it's just like being mad at someone or
looking at someone)
-Don't say "I'm looking for
employment"; say "I'm seeking for
employment".
(employment is not missing, you just want to be hired)
-Don't say "take"; say "have it".
(it's just the right word to use)
-Don't say "how has been your day?";
say "how is your day?"
('is' in the sentence expresses continuity) Feel free to add yours and let others learn. "learning is like sailing an ocean no one has seen it whole"
Seek does not take FOR as it preposition.....I am seeking for employment(wrong)
I am seeking employment
Re: Common Day To Day Grammatical Blunder In English Language by mrbillz(m): 1:45am On Jun 16, 2015
peculiarabacus:
Seek does not take FOR as it preposition.....I am seeking for employment(wrong) I am seeking employment
thanks for the correction sir

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Know Your School Post Ume Date / Final Year Bsc/hnd/ond And Msc Project Topics And Materials In Accountancy / Important Post UTME Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.