Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,955 members, 7,828,364 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss (12311 Views)

Families Need Homes... How Feasible Is It For Most Nigerian Families to Own One? / No Reception Registry Wedding / How Feasible Is Flexible Working In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:58pm On Jun 18, 2015
April07:

Will it? Tell me more cheesy

Even if it's midnight, people will come for their rice and meat lol

1 Like

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by bellong: 10:42pm On Jun 18, 2015
Ewuro1:
Bellong is an expertise in this area.

BELLONGGGGG!!!!

grin grin grin grin grin angry

@OP,

For a start, where will the wedding take place, Lagos or outside?
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by timilehing(m): 4:56am On Jun 19, 2015
lolaredvelvet:

shocked What! And you wanna get married? Pls get urself together before thinking of bringing a wife nd kids into the equation.
Madame, the fact that I said I don't have 1k right now doesn't mean I don't have any savings. It's just I do not have any account/money set aside or dedicated for wedding right now

2 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by timilehing(m): 5:05am On Jun 19, 2015
pinkiberry:
dear u need a wedding organizer. 500k should be enough to make a decent. I know a person that spent only 100k in his wedding. its not abt how expensive d wedding is. its abt life after wedding.
I know and that's why I created this thread. Analyse how the 500k will be enough. Put everything into division. That's what I need
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by greatgod2012(f): 5:24am On Jun 19, 2015
Good one @op!
People are becoming wiser on daily basis.
We now know that the end of wedding ceremony is the beginning of marriage!

Debt-free and stress-free wedding ceremonies is what every intending couples need to consider for the benefit of each other.
The "koko" is the marriage itself!

Good comments so far, except few!

4 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Nobody: 8:08am On Jun 19, 2015
timilehing:
Madame, the fact that I said I don't have 1k right now doesn't mean I don't have any savings. It's just I do not have any account/money set aside or dedicated for wedding right now

Well, I sincerely do wish all goes well with your marital plans. A reception-less wedding is definitely do-able. People would talk sha but remember man is never satisfied. They would still complain about one thing or another even if you spend your last dime to throw a lavish wedding. Goodluck! smiley

1 Like

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by khatea: 8:55am On Jun 19, 2015
timilehing:
I know and that's why I created this thread. Analyse how the 500k will be enough. Put everything into division. That's what I need

Oko-iyawo! check my breakdown post on previous page and commence ur plans #gudluck#
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by timilehing(m): 9:32am On Jun 19, 2015
khatea:

Oko-iyawo! check my breakdown post on previous page and commence ur plans #gudluck#
Thanks but restricting attendance to some people is a no-go area. I just don't understand why I have to book a hall & decorate it just to feed my guests when they can collect the package & devour it at home or wherever they're going
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by bellong: 9:45am On Jun 19, 2015
^^^ where will it take place?
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by timilehing(m): 12:47pm On Jun 19, 2015
bellong:
^^^ where will it take place?
Ilorin
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by bellong: 1:17pm On Jun 19, 2015
timilehing:
Ilorin

Which church in Ilorin?

That is one of the cheapest places to organise a wedding. I had my wedding in Ilorin.

If the church has a hall with seating capacity, liaise with the pastor of the church to conduct the wedding in the hall rather than the church auditorium. This will be easier for you to entertain your guest in their immediately after the joining ceremony.

Buy your cow at Kara market along Ajasse-ipo road or the one at oke-oyi. Get the bag of rice, pepper etc from this market around Baboko.

buy drinks directly from cocacola depot, you can arrange that they ice it for you.

Organise your friends/relatives to take charge of the serving making sure that everybody present gets food and drink. Here, coordination and orderliness are key to make stuff go round.

Get to know what your parents inlaw are contributing to the wedding (ideally, the bride's family takes care of the reception with contribution from you). Have a meeting with your family especially parents to inform them of your limited budget and they should be ready to take care of excess invitees on their part.

After the wedding, book a three night at Bishop smith guest house or any other hotel and go directly from the wedding to the place. Don't go home as some visitors will throng your house and you will have to entertain them which is additional cost on your part.

If you have any other question, you can ask. It is doable and the 500k is enough if your inlaw are in agreement with you.

Meanwhile, don't fix wedding during fuel scarcity period, else you ruin your own budget. I wish you well.

2 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jun 19, 2015
Thought I was the only one on this.

Will be getting married soonest,but am not planning to take it to the extreme in terms of spending.

Op,thank you,am here to learn.

1 Like

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by timilehing(m): 4:03pm On Jun 19, 2015
bellong:

Which church in Ilorin?

That is one of the cheapest places to organise a wedding. I had my wedding in Ilorin.

If the church has a hall with seating capacity, liaise with the pastor of the church to conduct the wedding in the hall rather than the church auditorium. This will be easier for you to entertain your guest in their immediately after the joining ceremony.

Buy your cow at Kara market along Ajasse-ipo road or the one at oke-oyi. Get the bag of rice, pepper etc from this market around Baboko.

buy drinks directly from cocacola depot, you can arrange that they ice it for you.

Organise your friends/relatives to take charge of the serving making sure that everybody present gets food and drink. Here, coordination and orderliness are key to make stuff go round.

Get to know what your parents inlaw are contributing to the wedding (ideally, the bride's family takes care of the reception with contribution from you). Have a meeting with your family especially parents to inform them of your limited budget and they should be ready to take care of excess invitees on their part.

After the wedding, book a three night at Bishop smith guest house or any other hotel and go directly from the wedding to the place. Don't go home as some visitors will throng your house and you will have to entertain them which is additional cost on your part.

If you have any other question, you can ask. It is doable and the 500k is enough if your inlaw are in agreement with you.

Meanwhile, don't fix wedding during fuel scarcity period, else you ruin your own budget. I wish you well.
Thanks alot
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by timilehing(m): 8:13pm On Jan 14, 2016
Revived!
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Intelligentdude(m): 9:14pm On Jan 14, 2016
Nice Ideas
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Mcoldsoja(m): 10:09am On Jan 31, 2016
bellong:

Which church in Ilorin?

[b][/b]Meanwhile, don't fix wedding during fuel scarcity period, else you ruin your own budget. I wish you well.

How he wan know wen fuel go scarce? Abi timilehing yu be omniscient?

1 Like

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by timilehing(m): 10:51am On Jan 31, 2016
Mcoldsoja:

Me I'm not God o
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Mcoldsoja(m): 3:45pm On Jan 31, 2016
timilehing:
Me I'm not God o

Abi o!

Anyway, concerning the topic, my fiance and I are planning towards our wedding and our cost-cutting measure is to have the church wedding
in the morning then the traditional in the afternoon on the same day.
The church wedding would be devoid of all the 'pomp and pageantry' of bridal train et al (If possible, just a vestry wedding) while the traditional will serve as reception as there would be food to eat in the ceremony.
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by bellong: 7:02pm On Jan 31, 2016
Mcoldsoja:

Is that the only thing you saw in the post?
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by herboshedhe(f): 8:40pm On Jan 31, 2016
khatea:
#myopinion# 500k is very okay for a wedding even wt reception. See below:

1. 30 guests is enough

2. U can get a small hall (preferably a guest house hall/reception hall) @ 30k or less
Or even free (if U would buy drinks from dem). Remember U'l get free chairs and tables there, U'l also enjoy their power supply U know #lolz. U might also be lucky to meet a standing musician there whom U'l just tip to act as Ur MC and music provider for d day. No one shld b given more than 100naira drink o #sosweet##talkingfromexperience#

3. Get ur church decorating unit to use d church's materials(b sure U v spoken wt dem to know d color of decorating materials dey v for ur color of d day to match wt d available decor) after wc U dash dem 10k for d assistance.

4. Get a family friend who can cook/ a caterer who can pack a plate of food(jollof,fried rice & meat)/ (pounded yam & efo riro wt meat) @ 500 each. It shld b delicious enuf nao(at least Iya obioma plate of food at 250 is very ok & too much for me to consume at a sitting sef.

5. Get a camera man(a friend can do dis tho) with 50k or less

6. Get Ur wears and essential wedding needs wt d rest

7. Look for sum1 who can help with a 2 or 3 -tier cake for 20k

8. Engagement and all dis shld b a day thing.

I hope dis helps U much #best of luck ahead#

Send me a PM if U are in need of a good wedding planner. Ur wedding success is my concern
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by herboshedhe(f): 8:44pm On Jan 31, 2016
[quote author=Mcoldsoja post=42494064]

Abi o!

Anyway, concerning the topic, my fiance and I are planning towards our wedding and our cost-cutting measure is to have the church wedding
in the morning then the traditional in the afternoon on the same day.
The church wedding would be devoid of all the 'pomp and pageantry' of bridal train et al (If possible, just a vestry wedding) while the traditional will serve as reception as there would be food to eat in the ceremony.[/quote
]
Your head dey theregrin

1 Like

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Neverquit(f): 1:20am On Feb 01, 2016
timilehing, here's what we did:

The ceremony took place in IB. Having a small ceremony was out of the question because of the large number of families and friends. Our parents wanted 100% or nothing, but they were not ready to contribute significantly. We were also not ready to spend money to feed people that do not really care about us. So, we needed to reach a compromise.

We insisted on the parents footing the bill for the engagement/trad. Less than 300k was spent. No need for hall or decoration because the party was at our house. The guests had enough variety to eat & drink. They had fun. The trad was on a weekday. You can get a small hall though. Another headache we avoided was no aso ebi, we picked colors instead.

A week after (also on a weekday), the parents, us, and our siblings went to the pastor's office for the joining. Afterwards, we went to a fine buka for lunch. After lunch everybody went their separate ways.

Not having a wedding reception saved us a bundle. No need for wedding dress, suit, accessories, decoration, cake, dj, etc.

The above can only be possible if both parties (you and the wife) are reasonable and can stand your ground with your families.

Hubby and I were not ready to waste our 'blood, sweat, and tears' on a day's ceremony. People will complain regardless on how much was spent, so why bother.

The end.

6 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Waladade4luv(m): 2:03am On Feb 01, 2016
Bro we share the same vision oh the only difference is that my bride to be wouldn't listen and won't agree no matter how much you try and convince her
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by ogawisdom(m): 8:20am On Feb 01, 2016
Neverquit:
timilehing, here's what we did:

The ceremony took place in IB. Having a small ceremony was out of the question because of the large number of families and friends. Our parents wanted 100% or nothing, but they were not ready to contribute significantly. We were also not ready to spend money to feed people that do not really care about us. So, we needed to reach a compromise.

We insisted on the parents footing the bill for the engagement/trad. Less than 300k was spent. No need for hall or decoration because the party was at our house. The guests had enough variety to eat & drink. They had fun. The trad was on a weekday. You can get a small hall though. Another headache we avoided was no aso ebi, we picked colors instead.

A week after (also on a weekday), the parents, us, and our siblings went to the pastor's office for the joining. Afterwards, we went to a fine buka for lunch. After lunch everybody went their separate ways.

Not having a wedding reception saved us a bundle. No need for wedding dress, suit, accessories, decoration, cake, dj, etc.

The above can only be possible if both parties (you and the wife) are reasonable and can stand your ground with your families.

Hubby and I were not ready to waste our 'blood, sweat, and tears' on a day's ceremony. People will complain regardless on how much was spent, so why bother.

The end.

Extreme budget after una don go other ppl wedding enjoy finish grin

1 Like

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by timilehing(m): 1:27pm On Feb 01, 2016
@Neverquit I have no problem with what you did, I'm glad you understand the importance of money management. I'll be hoping bae agrees to something similar
Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Neverquit(f): 4:12pm On Feb 01, 2016
What you wrote is not a good combo. Y'all need to look into the future. Please don't bite more than you can chew so as not to regret it.

Please, stand your ground. Be persuasive. Because if after the ceremony and money is not coming in steadily, you will regret the money that was wasted and you might even take it out on her. She sef may start to act funny.

Waladade4luv:
Bro we share the same vision oh the only difference is that my bride to be wouldn't listen and won't agree no matter how much you try and convince her

2 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by Neverquit(f): 4:22pm On Feb 01, 2016
grin

We are smiling now...no regrets.

We took this drastic decision because:

- We were not ready to waste money.
- We heard horror stories from friends that went all out.
- Whether you spend $1m or $100, peeps go still complain.

Ps: it wasn't too extreme though, the trad was well attended. grin

ogawisdom:

Extreme budget after una don go other ppl wedding enjoy finish grin

1 Like

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by MzBee63: 11:24am On Mar 24, 2016
timilehing:
Fellow Nairalanders and husband/wife to be, I'm hoping to get married next year by God's Grace and I've been thinking of several ways to reduce irrelevant expenses. The only big one that can take the load off my neck is having a No Reception Wedding.

Well, it's not like guests will not be entertained or well wishers will be left hungry at the occasion. I've really thought of having everything food, drinks and maybe cake parked inside a customized nylon and handed to all guests immediately after finishing with church part (which is the actual occasion) Though the church part may be a bit longer cos time will be given for dancing and some other things since there won't be a reception.
Hall, decorations and Band will cost about 250-300k. I can't really afford to be showing off the money I don't have in this kind of economy.
All help is needed here and this might just be helpful to others in my shoe.

I'm hoping to round up everything @300k or far less self. I don't want money to delay my marriage. Thanks

Aminat508, pinkiberry, sinaj, misspicy, babyosisi, sexymoma

cc: lalasticlala. I'll appreciate if you can move it to front page

**Edited** from 500k to 300k
Honestly, it's encouraging to see this. I thought I was the only one on earth feeling this way.
Way to go!

1 Like

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by MzBee63: 11:42am On Mar 24, 2016
HELLO Timi, so when is your wedding?
Anyways, my Bobo and I quite agree to a low-budget wedding and below are our options:
1. Wedding in the morning, trad in the evening
I don't really like this

2.Trad in the morning, wedding in the evening.
Me, I like this one.
@trad, no food involved. I went to a wedding lately where trad was in the morning, and they served yam and fish stew with bottled water... It was classy.
Plus people are usually few in the morning.
Then in the evening, after the church wedding, takeaway packs of food I'm small paper bag which the guest will pick on the way out.

3. No trad
Evening church wedding, guests pick up their packs on the way out.
This honestly, is my best of all
No need for hall, and I'll just make sure everything about the wedding is quality, it'll be memorable.

We have some cash for the wedding really, but we'd rather invest it into mortgage housing.
And I don't want money to keep me from getting married this year, lest we fall into sin. We've been courting for 3yrs and my body don full. #JustSaying

1 Like

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by timilehing(m): 1:38am On Mar 25, 2016
@MzBee63, the wedding should take place this year by God's grace.

1 Like

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by AmuDimpka: 12:58am On Apr 02, 2016
You even tried ...me I just drove to church my friend drove in his car my best man while my wife was driven to church by her sister ..we wedded and went home

No cake no crowd no beer

I am happily married ..thts the bottom line

2 Likes

Re: A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss by AmuDimpka: 1:08am On Apr 02, 2016
bellong:

Which church in Ilorin?

500k is too much ..you can buy your wife a small car with that

Just buy a suit your wife rent a gown.. Don't print card ..tell your family members only ..very few of your friend

Don't rent hall..wed in church or registry they are cheaper and more legal

Buy a bag of rice
Go to abbatoir buy like 40k meat
If you are expecting like 30 people which is too much buy beer and malt 5 Crete's

100k your good

Safe the rest ...advise from a married man ...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are Mothers Better Parents Than Fathers?. / End of Part 1 / My Wife's 22yrs Old Niece Is Seriously Tempting Me . (she Like's Being Nude)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.