Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,849 members, 7,817,514 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:34 PM

A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) (108056 Views)

The Head Of Goat That Caused Accident In Anambra Was Cut Off (Photos) / Lagos Slum Where Residents Live With Snakes, Crocodiles (photos) / Accident Involving A Jeep At China Town In Lagos (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Armaggedon: 5:08pm On Jun 19, 2015
solonazzy:

Pls python is also a snake..... Dnt confuse us here... Perhaps non-venomous u shuld say
python is also a snake no doubt. But as far as i know, snake as a general name does not include python in Igboland. Eke (python) is not known to be a type of agwo (snake).
If you see a python and call it a snake, by the time pple leave what they are doing to chase it only to discover its a python, you would've become the confusionist not me.
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by sunshine1974(m): 5:11pm On Jun 19, 2015
Protector and guard? Yet not worshipped. U need spiritual brain cleansing
chival:
I am from idemili LG which comprises towns where the python is the recognized totem. I do not condone the practise or support it but I'd like to correct some misconceptions.

1. Not all snakes are revered in Idemili. Only the python (eke) is.
2. The python is the people's totem and not a god. It is not worshipped but revered and believed to be a protector/guardian.
3. The snakes come and go freely like the OP observed, even in my own village/family home, and I believe this largely because pythons are non venomous snakes and secondly, they have come to exist peacefully over so many years with people of the area so neither the python nor the people regard each other as a threat.

2 Likes

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by BobUg28(m): 5:13pm On Jun 19, 2015
remember007:
I really don't know but I love the place

grin grin grin You really love the place abi? Lol.
I love it too.

Naughty Lucky032. Rotfmao
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by femolala001(m): 5:35pm On Jun 19, 2015
Imanuelle:
remember007

Typing in all caps is wrong and can get you fired from your job.

Learn.

@Topic; the lord knows if I spend a night in such village, it'll be in my car, all locked up with just enough space for oxygen.

Mi o raye orishirishi
Lol! This response is funny. I am not surprised with wat the OP posted. I served in ebonyi state, and we were told in camp that there are a lot of snakes in IVO lga and ihiagu and abakiliki.. So we have been told not to kill any snake incase we see any. We were told that if anyone kills a snake, then the person must be ready to give it a befiting final burial ceremony. That's funny abi? But that's the fact, that was the major reason why I redeployed back to lagos.. I hate snakes like anything!
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by lucky032(m): 5:41pm On Jun 19, 2015
frakdon:
rapu Ife di na enu.............hahahahaha

You never can tell
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Wizkoko(m): 5:51pm On Jun 19, 2015
are those the pictures or are you just posting an example?
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jun 19, 2015
lucky032:

when next you come,i'm gonna teach you how to speak ibo ok.do you mind?
odim-ma
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jun 19, 2015
bamite:
You have really nice boobs
bucho gracias
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jun 19, 2015
darlenese:

Is that why u have to post in caps
but I already apologized,.forgive me biko
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by boss1310(m): 5:57pm On Jun 19, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
its not Sunita. The movie you're talking about is NAGIN
yea thats d name
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 19, 2015
darlenese:

Is that why u have to post in caps
but I already apologized..forgive me biko
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by agrovick(m): 5:57pm On Jun 19, 2015
fr3do:

Anioma is a collection of Igbo sub-groups that are mostly concentrated in present day Delta state, other anioma territories are Igbanke (edo), Ndoni (rivers), Onitsha (anambra). But Anioma most times refer to Delta North.
Thanks, time for serious prayers, i hate snakes
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by guyX(m): 5:58pm On Jun 19, 2015
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by rosy4u(f): 6:01pm On Jun 19, 2015
jaybee104:
d first time u c it, how are u gonna be like in d next 3seconds?
FAINT ......
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by tonychristopher: 6:03pm On Jun 19, 2015
we do not do oro here in anambra it is in lagos that they do oro whenever balee or oba dies looking for heads..here in anambra kings are not that powerful the are just custodians of culture...the real power rest in umunna(kinsmen nor kingsmen)

So there is no need for human sacrifice....

hensben:
but human can be use for sacrifices.

1 Like

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by tonychristopher: 6:11pm On Jun 19, 2015
ANACONDA AINT POSIONOUS BUT THEY ARE DEADLY AND THEY ARE ALL CALLED CONSTRICTOR AND CAN BE VERY DEADLY..BUT THEY DO NOT KILL HERE IN ANAMBRA

LET ME GIVE YOU A GIST..WHEN A CHILD IS BORN, THE CONSTRICTOR COMES AND VISIT THE NEW BORN BABY THEN, BUT DUE TO WESTERNIZATION THIS IS STOPPING BUT I WANT IT TO CONTINUE...IT IS CULTURAL PRESERVING...IT IS NOT WORSHIPPING BUT WE ASSUME THAT THESE BIG SNAKES SERVES AS GUIDIAN AND PURE BLOOD WONT KILL IT

NOTE THAT SOME VILLAGES IN IGBO LAND HAVE OTHER ANIMALS THEY DO NOT KILL...MBAUKWU NEAR AWKA DO NOT KILL TORTIOSE, THERE YOU WILL SEE TORTIOSE ANYHOW AND SOME PLACES DO NOT KILL MONKEYS AND THESE ANIMAL ABOUNDS

WE JUST CANT KILL EVERY ANIMAL COS WE DID NOT CREATE IT...WE TRY TO FIND BALANCE BETWEEN MODERNITY AND NATURE AND WE ARE DOING THAT EXCEEDINGLY WELL

ARE YOU NOT IMPRESSED WITH IGBO CULTURE

Jaypea98:

Okay apart from anaconda what other snakes do u kill/not kill?
Would i be right if i said the reason you don't kill then is because they aren't poisonous.Have you had any encounter with poisonous ones ?
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by tonychristopher: 6:14pm On Jun 19, 2015
Why do we have nut cases and perverts from Yoruba...no wonder the cases of rape and human part selling is high there, you are a good case

pls stop this conversation...we aint of same league

sicko
GodMode:

because f:ucking igbo women means they don't want their generation to be igbos gringringrin same goes for igbo men that love yoruba p:ussiesgrin

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by eaglechild: 6:17pm On Jun 19, 2015
chival:
I am from idemili LG which comprises towns where the python is the recognized totem. I do not condone the practise or support it but I'd like to correct some misconceptions.

1. Not all snakes are revered in Idemili. Only the python (eke) is.
2. The python is the people's totem and not a god. It is not worshipped but revered and believed to be a protector/guardian.
3. The snakes come and go freely like the OP observed, even in my own village/family home, and I believe this largely because pythons are non venomous snakes and secondly, they have come to exist peacefully over so many years with people of the area so neither the python nor the people regard each other as a threat.
You are spot on.

Pythons are non venomous
The species of python found in Anambra is harmless to humans.
It is not the large boa constrictor (heck even the larger python species hardly pose a threat to humans because of their relatively sluggish nature).
Burmese pythons which grow to much larger sizes are popular pets in many parts of the developed world.

It think the positive side of this practice is conservation and control of rodent population which the pythons prey on. I don't care for the fetish aspect and many towns no longer practice the burial rites aspect but they have gotten so used to not killing the pythons.

Presently with increasing emigration into Anambra towns, the python population has been on the decline as many nonindigenes kill it for food or out of fear.
I personally think they should be left alone not because of any fetish reasons but because it is a good conservation practice and they keep the rodent population in check.

3 Likes

Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jun 19, 2015
femolala001:

Lol! This response is funny. I am not surprised with wat the OP posted. I served in ebonyi state, and we were told in camp that there are a lot of snakes in IVO lga and ihiagu and abakiliki.. So we have been told not to kill any snake incase we see any. We were told that if anyone kills a snake, then the person must be ready to give it a befiting final burial ceremony. That's funny abi? But that's the fact, that was the major reason why I redeployed back to lagos.. I hate snakes like anything!

One of my favorite programs on discovery world is 'i was bitten' not like its fun, but the chills.

Stories of what venoms can cause and how people get paralyzed and have their internal organs melt at a single strike from a snake, merely 3drops.

I can't ever imagine being friends with a snake.

Its abnormal.
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by chival(f): 6:53pm On Jun 19, 2015
sunshine1974:
Protector and guard? Yet not worshipped. U need spiritual brain cleansing

The police protect you (or at least they claim to). Guard dogs protect and guard you. Do you worship either, dullard?
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by dazzler16(f): 6:54pm On Jun 19, 2015
Scary Stuff. I can't bring myself to stay in a place like that. shocked
mrking3:
@OP! Even if you dont post pictures some of us wouldnt doubt you! Coz i know a place in IMO state where this culture is being practiced. If you eventual kill these snakes you'll have to give it a befitting burial just like normal Human being. So what you posted isnt weird. Just incase, it didnt work out, munch the pic then upload it one after the other via your native browser. Next time before you put up some sensitive topics try and be sure you have the photos in handdy! Nairaland is a place where if they dont see images whether Graphic or mild, they would say "Idontbelieveit" but the same hypocrites will still be the one to rebuke you when you take pictures of accident scene. They would say rather than take the victim to hospital or quench a Burning. Petrol tanker, you're busy taking pictures. If one dont take pictures, how would people get to hear the news or believe the story? Thats nairaland for you!! Happy posting!
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by chival(f): 6:59pm On Jun 19, 2015
VenusBetty:
not venomous but dont they swallow?

These ones swallow rodents and the likes. The larger pythons of the constrictor family are different from these.
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by femolala001(m): 7:08pm On Jun 19, 2015
Imanuelle:

One of my favorite programs on discovery world is 'i was bitten' not like its fun, but the chills.

Stories of what venoms can cause and how people get paralyzed and have their internal organs melt at a single strike from a snake, merely 3drops.

I can't ever imagine being friends with a snake.

Its abnormal.
Most reason why I tune to Natgeo wild mostly is because of snakes.. I like the documentaries on snakes but I fear snakes a lot!
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by darediamond(m): 7:17pm On Jun 19, 2015
grin sugar;
gbens2000:
Oboi see meat,damn imagine dis one inside pepper soup and 5liters of palm wine.chai na only me waka com grin.thank GOD its Friday.
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by solonazzy: 7:45pm On Jun 19, 2015
Armaggedon:
python is also a snake no doubt. But as far as i know, snake as a general name does not include python in Igboland. Eke (python) is not known to be a type of agwo (snake).
If you see a python and call it a snake, by the time pple leave what they are doing to chase it only to discover its a python, you would've become the confusionist not me.
Lemme nt argue as u have specified in ignore land....only u ppl frm Dr can understand Wat u r saying...
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Hammefeez: 7:50pm On Jun 19, 2015
God know the best sha!
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by Chibex50(f): 8:08pm On Jun 19, 2015
I hate snakes i my life ooo, i can rmb wen i went to visit my mums granny far back wen i was a kid, saw dis same snake called EKE creeping in d wall, imagine wen we told granny abt d snake, all she could say is dey dnt kill it since it doesn't bite, sayin it used to be der protector far back...
She just begged the EKE to pls leave d place dat her children are playing, and scared too.. To my surprise dis snake just turned back nd started leaving,, odikwa risky
God Bless My Villa Ndiowu
God Bless Anambra state
God bless Naija
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by lucky032(m): 8:23pm On Jun 19, 2015
remember007:
odim-ma
lol!i will make your coming to agukwu again remarkable for you
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by mcdreeezy: 8:25pm On Jun 19, 2015
All reptiles are disgusting to me especially snakes. I don't mind if they all go extinct.
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by VickyRotex(f): 8:39pm On Jun 19, 2015
MistadeRegal:

Mmmm......But did I sound like boiling up?
Yes, that's the way you sounded. undecided
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by eaglechild: 9:40pm On Jun 19, 2015
Python regius is the species found in Anambra.

Python regius is a nonvenomous python species
found in Africa . This is the smallest of the African
pythons and is popular in the pet trade, largely due
to its typically docile temperament.

It is also known as royal
python or ball python . The name "ball python"
refers to the animal's tendency to curl into a ball
when stressed or frightened.
In captivity, they are considered good
pets, with their relatively small size and placid
nature making them easy to handle. Captive bred
adults rarely bite unless severely threatened.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_regius
Re: A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured) by chibecanglobal(m): 10:48pm On Jun 19, 2015
NeduLuiZ:
Religion the greatest scam
God knows I would smash the head of that ugly serpent angry
That is one of the most harmless animals in our ecosystem.
There is nothing like religion scamming you here.
That animal is one of the most beautiful gifts of nature.
if you doubt me go and enquire about the vaalu of a well cured python skin in an Italian or French fashion shop out there.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

This Is The Oyedepo Hangar They Plan To Demolish / Nigerian Living In Mexico. Ask Me Any Question About Life Here / Best Country To Relocate With My Family Apart From Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.