Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:34 AM

Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? (8950 Views)

"No Oil From Niger Delta If North Sabotages Osinbajo" – Militants / NNPC To Pipe Crude Oil From Niger Republic To Kaduna / South Africa To Stop Buying Crude Oil From Nigeria, Opens Talks With Iran (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by onyfrank: 11:54pm On Jun 18, 2015
i heard it in radio biafra that Nigeria spent billions of naira importing palm oil from Malaysia. Instead of investing in and promoting the region that has palm trees down ss/se. How true?
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by delishpot: 12:09am On Jun 19, 2015
For real? shocked I hope its not true ooo
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by cjrane: 12:15am On Jun 19, 2015
Malaysia and Indonesia even make better grade palm oil now than Naija.

It's a mark of how useless we are as a nation fighting over crude oil while neglecting other resources which could make Nigeria equally rich

Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by tpiadotcom: 12:20am On Jun 19, 2015
cjrane:

That's the packaging you're looking at ( processed for export).

1 Like

Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by cjrane: 12:29am On Jun 19, 2015
tpiadotcom:

That's the packaging you're looking at ( processed for export).

Hehehehe.... Sorry, its same quality palm oil eaten in Malaysia is same exact quality exported.Its light, unsaturated,cholesterol free and healthy for consumption

In Nigeria, our cheating culture make our people to sell bottom saturated residue as oil. That bottom part is only good enough for making Dudu -Osun soap and not for human consumption as we do in Nigeria

Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by tpiadotcom: 12:33am On Jun 19, 2015
cjrane:

Hehehehe.... Sorry, its same quality palm oil eaten in Malaysia is same exact quality exported.Its light, unsaturated,cholesterol free and healthy for consumption

In Nigeria, our cheating culture make our people to sell bottom saturated residue as oil. That bottom part is only good enough for making Dudu -Osun soap and not for human consumption as we do in Nigeria

If oyinbos tell you the thicker part can be used in cooking, will you be happier?

However, I agree moderation is necessary for any type of food.
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by cjrane: 12:53am On Jun 19, 2015
tpiadotcom:

If oyinbos tell you the thicker part can be used in cooking, will you be happier?

However, I agree moderation is necessary for any type of food.

When i was younger, people in the villages used to curse greedy palm oil makers that didn't refine their oil and just sold the bottom of oil to people. Then gradually, it was becoming acceptable to have residue as half of the bottle. Today, they just don't care and they make the residue to be 100%.

It is not about oyibo. Our fore fathers NEVER ate roasted yam with red oil that could not flow out of the container at room temperature. That is why they lived so long, because they avoided the cholesterol part of the oil which kills.
You can very well just eat only animal fat and blubber instead of the meat claiming it is oyibo that "said" eating pure fat is bad. Your denial does not stop the fat from destroying your body slowly if you dare to eat only fat and not meat

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by tpiadotcom: 1:36am On Jun 19, 2015
^cholesterol is an animal fat based product, madam. It is not found in plant derivatives which include palm oil.

there are areas where the palm fruit itself is used in cooking, and even as a child, i sometimes ate cooked palm fruits which hadnt even had the oil processed from them yet.

so where does your thick/light theory come in, given the fact that thick or light palm oil still has to be heated to a thinner constituency?

as i pointed out before, the key to healthy eating is moderation and awareness of what goes into your mouth, olive oil for example has grades, same with palm oil, no need to run down one grade with false and alarmist info, rather, you should seek to educate people on why they should use the lighter grade rather than the thick one.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by tpiadotcom: 1:39am On Jun 19, 2015
cjrane:

When i was younger . . . Then gradually, it was becoming acceptable to have residue as half of the bottle. Today, they just don't care and they make the residue to be 100%.

well, that might have happened in your area, dunno.

what i do know is if you can "see through" 100% of the bottle, then you're being shortchanged, is the general consensus.

stop spoiling people's business abeg, its too common here. undecided

It is not about oyibo. Our fore fathers NEVER ate roasted yam with red oil that could not flow out of the container at room temperature. That is why they lived so long, because they avoided the cholesterol part of the oil which kills.
I can very well just eat only animal fat and blubber instead of the meat claiming it is oyibo that "said" eating pure fat is bad. My denial does not stop the fat from destroying my body slowly if I dare to eat only fat and not meat

as far as i know, roast yam heats the palm oil to a thinner texture, whether thick or light.

if the roast yam is cold (?) then you use the light one.

however, regular exercise is just as important as diet when eating healthy, is it not?
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by tpiadotcom: 1:40am On Jun 19, 2015
this is palm oil soup from the se:

source:google.
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by tpiadotcom: 1:53am On Jun 19, 2015
cjrane:
. . . . . .

Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by tpiadotcom: 1:55am On Jun 19, 2015
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by tpiadotcom: 1:59am On Jun 19, 2015
however, going oil less is also not a bad idea:

Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by EasternPride: 2:35am On Jun 19, 2015
Yes oh, zoo imports palm oil, the last ship carrying imported palm oil docked apapa wharf last weekend, it i such a pity.

I remember the other LGA besides mine in Abia has a big oil processing mill, Alison Madueke built, unfortunately the govt allowed to go out of business, with no hope of resuscitation, rather the billion of naira that could have been used to pump into it is used to import from Malaysia and Indonesia.

"Madness, mad people, mad mad people" - in Directors voice.

And it's over 10 years now the zoo have been importing palm oil.

3 Likes

Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by delishpot: 3:31am On Jun 19, 2015
tpiadotcom:
^cholesterol is an animal fat based product, madam. It is not found in plant derivatives which include palm oil.

there are areas where the palm fruit itself is used in cooking, and even as a child, i sometimes ate cooked palm fruits which hadnt even had the oil processed from them yet.

so where does your thick/light theory come in, given the fact that thick or light palm oil still has to be heated to a thinner constituency?

as i pointed out before, the key to healthy eating is moderation and awareness of what goes into your mouth, olive oil for example has grades, same with palm oil, no need to run down one grade with false and alarmist info, rather, you should seek to educate people on why they should use the lighter grade rather than the thick one.

plants contain cholesterol too though not as high as that of animal. But you are right, moderation is the best. Besides, I never heard about people wanting to buy top oil only sha. Even as a child, Adults around will not buy palm oil that is top only. There is no way palm oil will "sleep" that it wont flow out the bottle after a good shake.
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by tpiadotcom: 5:45am On Jun 19, 2015
EasternPride:
zoo.

where is that?
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by tpiadotcom: 5:46am On Jun 19, 2015
delishpot:

plants contain cholesterol too though not as high as that of animal.

true
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 6:00am On Jun 19, 2015
cjrane:

It's a mark of how useless we are as a nation fighting over crude oil while neglecting other resources which could make Nigeria equally rich

It looks too transluscent, hence it's not thick enough.
I can't eat white yam with this. Did you say it's better quality?
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by EasternPride: 10:02am On Jun 19, 2015
tpiadotcom:

where is that?

Zoological Republic of Nigger Area.
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by tpiadotcom: 10:07am On Jun 19, 2015
EasternPride:

my lineage.

is that how you describe your area?
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by EasternPride: 10:14am On Jun 19, 2015
tpiadotcom:

is that how you describe your area?

Typical ignorant baboon, always showing self-pity.
No wonder your "Nigeria my country" is importing palm oil, from a country that came here, took the palm seeds and went home to take it serious.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by MzJackBaueress(f): 10:18am On Jun 19, 2015
I have seen and used imported vegetable oil. I have never seen or used imported palm oil except the one my sister sent to me from Ivory Coast which is well processed than the one we use in Nigeria.

Since this news is coming from Radio Biafra,I refuse to believe.
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by tpiadotcom: 10:20am On Jun 19, 2015
EasternPride:

i am a Typical ignorant baboon, always showing self-pity.

No wonder I type like an i.diot.
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by EasternPride: 10:21am On Jun 19, 2015
tpiadotcom:

Hahaha. Baboon cheesy
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by EasternPride: 10:22am On Jun 19, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
I have seen and used imported vegetable oil. I have never seen or used imported palm oil except the one my sister sent to me from Ivory Coast which is well processed than the one we use in Nigeria.

Since this news is coming from Radio Biafra,I refuse to believe.

But a ship carrying imported palm oil came in last week, and it was reported in one of the dailies.
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by EasternPride: 10:24am On Jun 19, 2015
MARCH 18, 2015
NIGERIA IMPORTS N313.97BN PALM OIL IN FIVE YEARS
by BAYO AKOMOLAFE

Nigeria imported 2,370,000 metric tons of palm oil valued at N313.97 billion ($1,569, 888,000) in the last five years through the nation’s seaports. The commodity, which is being sold at $662.4 in the global market, was shipped to the country between 2010 and 2014. Data obtained from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) revealed that in 2010, some 435,000 metric tons were ferried through the port.
Also in 2011, it was 440,000 metric tons; 2012 – 470,000 metric tons; 2013 – 500,000 metric tons and 2014 – 525,000 metric tons. As at 2014, Nigeria produced only 930,000 metric tons per annum, while the annual consumption of the commodity in the country is 1.5 million metric tons yearly.
The country’s production began to decline in 1976 when the demand was greater than supply. Between 1950s and 1960s, USDA data explained that Nigeria was the largest producer of crude oil palm in the world with a market share of 43 per cent. It supplied 645,000metric tons of palm oil, across the global market annually, but the reverse has been the case in the last seven years.
Producers of noodles, vegetable oil, biscuits, chips, margarines, shortenings, cereals, baked stuff, washing detergents and cosmetics had to rely on imported crude palm oil for their business. Early this year, there was a report by the Guaranty Trust Bank Plc (GTBank) in its 2015 macroeconomic outlook that the Federal Government may limit palm oil importation into the country.
The report noted that significant drop in Nigeria’s revenue as a result of the slide in crude oil prices may compel the Federal Government to impose further restrictions on certain agricultural products such as nuts and rubber goods.
But data by the USDA has revealed that the country may import 550,000 metric tons in 2015. Despite the revelation by the report, Lagos Port Complex has taken delivery of 23,200 metric tons of the commodity from two vessels this year.
MV Champion Spirit discharged 5,000 metric tons at the Apapa Bulk terminal Limited of the Lagos Port Complex, while Alo MV Sira offloaded 18,200 tons in the same terminal. It was learnt that palm oil importers at the Lekki Free Trade Zone in Lagos had been enjoying 75 per cent duty waivers from government over the years at the expense of local palm oil farmers. Annual palm oil export from Malaysia and Indonesia, the largest producers, is valued at $50 billion in the global market.

http://news.najiriya.com/2015/03/18/nigeria-imports-n313-97bn-palm-oil-in-five-years/
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by EasternPride: 10:25am On Jun 19, 2015
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by tpiadotcom: 10:25am On Jun 19, 2015
EasternPride:

Hahaha. I am a Baboon cheesy
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by abagoro(m): 10:29am On Jun 19, 2015
That is true my brother. The reason is because our oil is more expensive. Most of the importers are large scale palm oil users that produce vegetable oil through bleaching. That is why the "nkwu" program by Rochas Okorocha should be accepted in all Southern States. On the contrary many people are fighting government and saying he is wicked and wants graduates to farm. I wonder why many of us see farming as a low class profession.
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by MzJackBaueress(f): 10:31am On Jun 19, 2015
EasternPride:

But a ship carrying imported palm oil came in last week, and it was reported in one of the dailies.
Really? That means the importation just started.

Well it doesn't stop me from buying palm oil straight from my village. Freshly processed palm oil. cheesy cheesy
Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by EasternPride: 10:42am On Jun 19, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Really? That means the importation just started.

Well it doesn't stop me from buying palm oil straight from my village. Freshly processed palm oil. cheesy cheesy

See from this article it says five years, remember the five years here is the ones the media reported, but it has gone on for over a decade.

EasternPride:
MARCH 18, 2015
NIGERIA IMPORTS N313.97BN PALM OIL IN FIVE YEARS.
http://news.najiriya.com/2015/03/18/nigeria-imports-n313-97bn-palm-oil-in-five-years/

I remember Nnamdi Kalu said that 11 years ago, when he brought a proposal and nice presentation to a firm that deals on palm oil in the U.K.
The firm accepted his idea but told him point blank that Nigeria imports palm oil, he said he dragged the issue until they brought proof.

Imagine the scenario, but come to a typical village in the East, palm trees are everywhere.

It's such a shame, really.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia? by MzJackBaueress(f): 10:47am On Jun 19, 2015
EasternPride:

See from this article it says five years, remember the five years here is the ones the media reported, but it has gone on for over a decade.

I remember Nnamdi Kalu said that 11 years ago, when he brought a proposal and nice presentation to a firm that deals on palm oil in the U.K.
The firm accepted his idea but told him point blank that Nigeria imports palm oil, he said he dragged the issue until they brought proof.

Imagine the scenario, but come to a typical village in the East, palm trees are everywhere.

It's such a shame, really.
Nigeria has enough palm oil to go round. I wonder why importation of palm oil should be allowed. If toothpick can be imported,am not surprised at the importation of palm oil.

So sad!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Southern Kaduna Killings: Reps Summon Service Chiefs, Police IG... / What John Zibiri Said About Nigeria. Is It True? / Akwa Ibom Government To Share Free Fuel, Food, Air Freshners To Eligible Voters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.