Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,539 members, 7,812,678 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:24 PM

How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? (8371 Views)

Somebody's Living Room Flooded In Lekki After The Rain (Photo) / Important Things To Remember When Choosing A House Floor Plan / The DIY Drawing Of My Floor Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by tegoguy(m): 2:52pm On Jun 21, 2015
I am building 4 apartments and I need your feedback. Do you think it is acceptable to design an open kitchen/living room floor plan? With this plan the kitchen is included with the living room with out walls. The kitchen, dining area, and living area are basically contained within the same room. The advantages to this is you can incorporate alot of style into the space. Its also a great way to showcase your high end materials and appliances. We spend considerable amounts of time in the kitchen and under this scheme you can still work in the kitchen while interacting with your family/guests. It is a common and popular design where I live overseas and many people will not consider a property if it wasnt an open layout. My brother thinks its a bad idea because the odors of cooking would permeate the living space (install an exhaust fan), The tenant may have a cook and desire privacy, its hard to keep clean. It would increase the operational costs of air conditioning to keep cool. Keep in mind my brother and myself both have open layouts in our houses and wouldnt have it any other way. Do you think this is a good design for the African market. Your thoughts?

Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by Emmanuel247(m): 3:32pm On Jun 21, 2015
Wetin dey Vex me be say ma ba3 don LOW
Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by tushbobo(m): 4:01pm On Jun 21, 2015
Open plans are modern and classy but these are not common in Africa. Some reasons for this is the kitchen smell diffusing into the living room, our culture which had the kitchen outside the building historically,lack of appreciation for open plans etc
I think its good for the African market but the end user's preference is to be considered foremost.
Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by tegoguy(m): 4:09pm On Jun 21, 2015
I agree with you but I think it can work. I have included open layouts for 2 of the units. As a test one unit will be convertible, meaning I can always brick and enclose it traditionally. The other unit will forever be an open floor plan. I would just reduce the rent or use the space for short term vacation rental. I personally love the concept and I think a potential tenant would like it once they visit and realize what is going on. I dont plan to change the African tradition, but I think this is acceptable.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by snakebeat: 4:28pm On Jun 21, 2015
Environment is a crucial factor when it comes to architecture.
Dis kind of open design encourage free flow architecture, america architecture. It's less complex and simple. Though it's good to explore new ideas, I wouldn't advise this in nigeria, considering weather & other factors.

There should be a partition wall btw kitchen and d living room. If at all u still want to introduce it in ur design, d open space can include dining & kitchen, d living room should be excluded. D weather here is hot. D kind of kitchen activities we practice is gonna detract from d congenial atmosphere of d living room, consider steam & d likes.
Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by tegoguy(m): 4:59pm On Jun 21, 2015
So the consensus thus far is this is a bad idea?
Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by kiez: 5:18pm On Jun 21, 2015
My advise:

Create a barrier between the kitchen and living area...but use "half wall and half glass" or something of the sort...

That way, you can still give the effect of an open feel/flow where the occupants in the kitchen can still interact with the folks in the living room. It also goves the feeling of segregation between both areas (i.e. kitchen separated from the living room).

What do you think?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by tegoguy(m): 6:44pm On Jun 21, 2015
Do you think people will avoid the open concept as if it was damaged or designed by a mad person?
Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 02, 2015
Even if I have 10 housemaids, it is my wifes duty to cook my meal (call me a male chauvinist pig if you must) and the cooking/eating time may be the major time as a family. I don't want her stuck in some enclosed room by herself.

A whole house fan located near the kitchen will take care of dispatching any unsavory small and can be powered by its own dedicated solar energy source.

The biggest challenge for us will be cleaning ness. Since the kitchen will be in direct view of guests and in the entertainment zone then it has to be spotless. And that's where the housemaids comes in.
Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by tegoguy(m): 4:36pm On Feb 12, 2016
UPDATE...I went ahead with the semi open plan.pics post soon.
Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by tegoguy(m): 7:44am On May 15, 2016
the workers have dubbed the place as the "american house". not sure if i should be impress or insulted.
Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by twinskenny(m): 7:53am On May 15, 2016
tegoguy:
the workers have dubbed the place as the "american house". not sure if i should be impress or insulted.
I think it's a good idea
Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by erico2k2(m): 9:42pm On May 15, 2016
tegoguy:
I am building 4 apartments and I need your feedback. Do you think it is acceptable to design an open kitchen/living room floor plan? With this plan the kitchen is included with the living room with out walls. The kitchen, dining area, and living area are basically contained within the same room. The advantages to this is you can incorporate alot of style into the space. Its also a great way to showcase your high end materials and appliances. We spend considerable amounts of time in the kitchen and under this scheme you can still work in the kitchen while interacting with your family/guests. It is a common and popular design where I live overseas and many people will not consider a property if it wasnt an open layout. My brother thinks its a bad idea because the odors of cooking would permeate the living space (install an exhaust fan), The tenant may have a cook and desire privacy, its hard to keep clean. It would increase the operational costs of air conditioning to keep cool. Keep in mind my brother and myself both have open layouts in our houses and wouldnt have it any other way. Do you think this is a good design for the African market. Your thoughts?
In 9ja, try cooking ogbono where you have to bleach the palm oil and see waht happens to ur guest in the living room lol

1 Like

Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by msogunro: 10:50pm On May 15, 2016
erico2k2:

In 9ja, try cooking ogbono where you have to bleach the palm oil and see waht happens to ur guest in the living room lol

I gave zero considerations to my visitors when designing my house. how much money will they give me to build it? if they don't like any smells coming from the kitchen they can go home and rest.

Open floor plans look great and also help with cross ventilation. It's a must for us.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by tegoguy(m): 10:56pm On May 15, 2016
thanks for the reaffirmination, i did, in fact, include a semi open plan. it pt the place on market. (fingers crossed)

Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by msogunro: 11:44pm On May 15, 2016
tegoguy:
thanks for the reaffirmination, i did, in fact, include a semi open plan. it pt the place on market. (fingers crossed)

It's your house and money. Do what you want.

Why do you have a pass through window next to the opening? Why not extend the opening?
Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by dotman201: 12:08am On May 16, 2016
its a good idea.. I think it needs to be backed up with an outdoor kitchen for theft and steamy delicacies. This will be a fancy one for breakfast, eggs and light dishes. But the banga soup will be made in the outdoor kitchen....
erico2k2:

https://www./float-glass-finished-product-oladotun-olusola?published=u
Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by Nobody: 1:09am On May 16, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Even if I have 10 housemaids, it is my wifes duty to cook my meal (call me a male chauvinist pig if you must) and the cooking/eating time may be the major time as a family. I don't want her stuck in some enclosed room by herself.

A whole house fan located near the kitchen will take care of dispatching any unsavory small and can be powered by its own dedicated solar energy source.

The biggest challenge for us will be cleaning ness. Since the kitchen will be in direct view of guests and in the entertainment zone then it has to be spotless. And that's where the housemaids comes in.

Upon further consideration..read..Madam putting her foot down..I made the following changes.

I enclosed the kitchen though it will have a pass through, a rather large one that can be opened when were not cooking "ogbono" soup grin

That being said, there are vast open space of openness as can be seen in the attached floorplan. The courtyard will also have large sliding doors that will bring the outside in.

Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by msogunro: 1:38am On May 16, 2016
dotman201:
its a good idea.. I think it needs to be backed up with an outdoor kitchen for theft and steamy delicacies. This will be a fancy one for breakfast, eggs and light dishes. But the banga soup will be made in the outdoor kitchen....

In my opinion, an outdoor kitchen is not necessary. Get a ducted range hood to vent the air to the outside. It helps a lot.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by Nobody: 1:45am On May 16, 2016
msogunro:

In my opinion, an outdoor kitchen is not necessary. Get a ducted range hood to vent the air to the outside. It helps a lot.

Yes, not necessary, but if the space allows for it then why not. I'll be having one in the courtyard, eventually.

Some may consider indoor toilet to be an unnecessary expense grin
Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by Memejem: 2:56am On May 16, 2016
Barn doors for kitchens would be great from those days when you want to have your kitchen displayed to display it's beauty. Creates an atmosphere of openness. But can be closed for privacy when cooking "ethnic dishes".

I love barn doors. I would like to have them installed in my project. Does anyone know people who do such in nigeria, or a company?
Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by babalose: 8:48am On May 16, 2016
I considered it for a while but I realized that most western countries where open plan is adopted, they don't really spend so much time in the kitchen and they are in the habit of ordering food. On average it takes westerners less than 30minutes for them to make a meal. They don't cook the things we cook neither do they follow the same cooking process like heating of palm oil or pounding yam etc.
I also noticed that Indians who spend so much time in the kitchen like us don't favour open plan kitchen. We have different processes of cooking which must be factored in to make the house conformable for the residents.
If you are considering extractor, what if there is no light. It can work for short lets.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by erico2k2(m): 10:43am On May 16, 2016
msogunro:

I gave zero considerations to my visitors when designing my house. how much money will they give me to build it? if they don't like any smells coming from the kitchen they can go home and rest.

Open floor plans look great and also help with cross ventilation. It's a must for us.
Ok .but I dnt think it suits our environment as Nigerians. The open plan kitchen concept is just to save space
In other news try Boil kpomo and see if ur led tv nor absorb moisture grin

1 Like

Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by erico2k2(m): 10:45am On May 16, 2016
dotman201:

Now U have spoken. If not Ambode and the Oba where going to hear about this grin
Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by TCD: 9:07pm On Jun 17, 2021
Any new thoughts about this?
This is 2021, Ill love to know what people feel.

I am consoderinv doing an open plan for a shortlet property.
Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by socialmedia012: 10:55am On Apr 05, 2023
Wow, What a Excellent post. I really found this to much informatics. It is what i was searching for.I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info.Thanks homefocus
Re: How Do You Guys Feel About An Open Kitchen/living Room Floor Plan? by Jarchi(m): 6:15pm On Jan 15

° Brodaman, Open plan can work in Nigeria. Koreans do open plans and they cook more dishes than us, they even eat their meat on fire.
Just get range hood or exhaust, air conditioning is a must not fan, have a well ventilated room well lighted and you're good to go.
The plan I saw might not work for the open plan, the sitting should have access to the kitchen not through the dinning.
Just make sure your roof is high to reduce the heat. Light and ventilate the kitchen wall well, town planning self will regulate that self. °
***Jarchi***

(1) (Reply)

Invest In Tigerkenn Homes Ltd Property Development Partnership / Wonderful fully equipped 4 bedrooms semi detached duplex for sale at ikeja / From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.