Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,054 members, 7,835,558 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

Jethro Visits Moses: A Story Of True Humility - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jethro Visits Moses: A Story Of True Humility (962 Views)

Nigerian Lady Visits Jesus' Birthplace & Tomb (Photos) / Pastor Adeboye Wants To Sleep In Kirikiri Prison As He Visits Inmates (Pics) / Let Us Talk About True Humility (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Jethro Visits Moses: A Story Of True Humility by MaxWellStores(m): 12:05pm On Jun 22, 2015
Jethro Visits Moses
A Story of True Humility
(Exodus 18:1-27)

It has often been said that, the most difficult set of people to advise are those who are exposed to too much information.

The story of Jethro’s visit to Moses not only teaches us of the importance of division of labour; its effectiveness and benefits, but, it shows us a very rare spiritual virtue not much seen around in our time.

Jethro was Moses’ father in-law (Exo 18:1), and a priest of Midian. He had heard of the many great things God had wrought for Moses and the people of Israel and decided to come along with Moses' wife and two of his sons for a congratulatory visit.

When he met his son in-law, Moses, the two men caught up on old times, and Moses, narrated to his father in-law all that happened to him after he left them (Jethro, his wife and kids back at Midian). Jethro, excited and overwhelmed with joy, offered up sacrifices to God.

Now, on the next day, Moses was settling disputes among the people, and he was kept busy from morning till night. When Jethro saw everything that Moses had to do in a day, he was moved to ask, “What is all this you are doing for the people? Why are you doing this all alone, with people standing here from morning till night to consult you?”

It was glaring that Moses was really over burdened by the task, yet, he had no in clique as to what had to be done to effectively and efficiently remedy it. But, Jethro had the perfect solution.

17. Then Jethro said, “You are not doing this right.
18. You will wear yourself out and these people as well. This is too much for you to do alone.
19. Now let me give you some good advice, and God will be with you. It is right for you to represent the people before God and bring their disputes to him.
20. You should teach them God's commands and explain to them how they should live and what they should do.
21. But in addition, you should choose some capable men and appoint them as leaders of the people: leaders of thousands, hundreds, fifties, and tens. They must be God-fearing men who can be trusted and who cannot be bribed.
22. Let them serve as judges for the people on a permanent basis. They can bring all the difficult cases to you, but they themselves can decide all the smaller disputes. That will make it easier for you, as they share your burden.
23. If you do this, as God commands, you will not wear yourself out, and all these people can go home with their disputes settled”.
(Exodus 18:17-23 GoodNews Translation)

The following are the points I’m trying to establish;

Moses was raised up as a prince in the house of Pharaoh. He was exposed to all kinds of knowledge. Later on in his life, he encountered God, and was further exposed to more information. In fact, it could be said that he was the smartest man at the time. Yet, as all "knowing" as he was, Moses could not able to efficiently and effectively manage a simple task as creating Dispute Courts that would have levels: minor, medium and heavy cases.

Lesson 1: No man has full knowledge in all things.

Now, after Jethro had asked Moses those questions (Exodus 18:14), Moses replied him by saying, “I must do this because the people come to me to learn God’s will (Exodus 18:15-16). Jethro, then replied by sharing his thoughts with his son in-law (Exodus 18:17-23).
This pleased Moses and he thanked his father in-law. Interestingly, Moses did apply the counsel of his father in-law (Exodus 18:24-26).

Lesson 2: Always welcome counsel from godly people, those with the Word in their spirit, and in their mouth.

Two questions came to mind when I read Exodus chapter 18:

(a) What made Moses accept Jethro’s advice?
(b) Was it that the idea felt "cool", and presented an excellent escape route to the cumbersome task at hand?

Well, Philippians 4:8 satisfactorily, answered my questions.

8 For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them].

Lesson 3: Run every idea, thought and action by God's Word. If they fulfill the conditions by which God expects us to think and act, then, it is safe to implement.

Moses didn’t get offended by Jethro’s questions and answers. He didn’t try to make an argument to point out clearly to his father in-law, that he was the one “over qualified for the job. After all, he did have several personal face-to-face encounters with God. “If God had wanted me to recruit judges, He would have instructed me to do so!” I’m sure this would have been many people’s response to Jethro. Thank God it wasn’t Moses’.

Little wonder Moses was called the meekest man at the time. With all the knowledge and testimonies as a result of following the Lord God’s commands, he still took the advice of a priest. Moses was a man of God; a prophet, and he superseded the title of high priest, let alone a priest.

Now, just imagine taking advice from a junior colleague on a matter as sensitive as Moses' task; but Moses did.

Humility, is therefore defined as the willful submission of one’s “status” of the mind, and the opening up of one’s spirit to receive guidance.

By “status” of the mind, I mean, knowledge already stored up in a person’s mind. This information tends to give one a feeling of superiority. This is what I mean by status of the mind.

So, when next a brother or sister in Church, or your immediate sphere offers up to share a thought or two with you, do well not to consider the status of your mind before listening. Rather, employ the 3 lessons revealed in the story of Jethro and Moses.

Remember: “the meek (humble) shall inherit the earth…” GOD BLESS YOU!

(1) (Reply)

ISIS Reportedly Gives Away Sex Slaves As 'prizes' In Koran Contest / Who Is The Real Devil Jehovah Or Lucifer / Fact Or Fiction:the World Comes To An End On Sunday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.