Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,025 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:22 AM

12 Things You Never Knew About Setting Up A Strong Password - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 12 Things You Never Knew About Setting Up A Strong Password (1263 Views)

26 Facts You Never Knew About Twitter / What You Never Knew About The Original Creators Of Whatsapp / 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do (2) (3) (4)

12 Things You Never Knew About Setting Up A Strong Password by Chillinmasoul(m): 3:15pm On Jun 22, 2015

You and I know that passwords such as "12345", "1dec1995", "1121995", "ilovedad", "ilovemum" e.t.c, are the easiest password you could ever setup. If you are still stuck at using such old patterns of password then you are in for a serious hack in by password hackers.

[size=17pt]12 Things You Never Knew About Setting Up A Strong Password[/size]

Here are 12 Don't that will help you build a much more secure, stronger and reliable password.

How to Protect Your Password.

1. Do not write down your password, memorize it. In particular, don’t write it down and leave it anywhere.

2. Do not place passwords in an unencrypted file or note!

3. Do not give or share your password, in particular to someone claiming to be from computer support or a vendor unless you are sure they are who they say they are.

4. Do not let anyone watch or spy you while you enter your password.

5. Do not enter your password on a computer you don’t trust.

6. Do not over use a particular password over a long period of time, use the password for a limited time and ensure to change it periodically.

7. Do not use related passwords for systems controlled by different organizations such as your facebook, twitter and instagram to share similar passwords.

8. Do not save password in an unprotected directory, email, drive or file. None of those storage means are bigger and more secured than the head.

How To set Up A Strong Password

9. Do not use words that are in a dictionary, names, animals, friends or any personal information (for example, your birthday, favourite stuffs or phone number). Some people derives their passwords from phone numbers, birthdays and so on making it very easy to guess. Look at point two (10 & 11) on how a typical password should be.

10. Do not use simple patterns, learn to always avoid simple patterns. Instead, use a password that consist of UPPER and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols. eg "%ZyX10@ly". People will really find this hard to guess, so follow this method. Just be a little more creative with this, See example, coined this one from my name "fR@^K\iN".

11. Do not use short and simple passwords, make certain that your password is at least eight characters long, if possible add more! Some logins requires you to enter a password about 8 characters long which is very acceptable, the longer the better. It becomes very difficult to guess passwords that are as long as a sentence. Eg, "iLove2Eat@lwa¥$". An 8-character password may be fine for a few days of protection, but a 12-character password is generally thought to be long enough to provide protection for a maximum of 90 days. A 15-character password is often considered good protection for up to a year.

12. Do not use new password that is similar to old, when you have chosen a new password, you have to make certain that it is not related to your old/previous passwords.

Also read [size=15pt]how to unlock an android phone after forgetting its lock pattern or password.[/size]

In conclusion;
Passwords can be uniquely protected and strong if you avoid all this "do not" points listed above, use a strong password that will make password hackers to hand you an accolade for being the most secured and inaccessible password ever. Funny right? Just make your password as strong as the samples highlighted in points 10 and 11.

Information's is power, what does it cost you to share this article using the share icon below.

View [size=15pt]Source[/size]
Re: 12 Things You Never Knew About Setting Up A Strong Password by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jun 22, 2015
Nice piece

Re: 12 Things You Never Knew About Setting Up A Strong Password by amani337(m): 3:45pm On Jun 22, 2015
lol,I use 2468 and no one guessed I would use such simple password.

4 de record if u always forget ur password try changing it to incorrect, u no why.

Re: 12 Things You Never Knew About Setting Up A Strong Password by israel770(m): 4:18pm On Jun 22, 2015
I Simply Use My Lost Phone Number Check My Signature

Re: 12 Things You Never Knew About Setting Up A Strong Password by Obaiyski(m): 4:19pm On Jun 22, 2015
Nice.. But this oga saby how to protect him pin grin

Re: 12 Things You Never Knew About Setting Up A Strong Password by Whizpeter(m): 8:12pm On Jun 22, 2015
Well now I know..

Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet - Have You Seen This Device? / Android Lollipop Available For Infinix Hot , Hot Note And Zero 2 / Opinion: ZTE Nubia Z7 4G Phablet Is A Cracker