Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,866 members, 7,817,563 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

5 Health Benefits Of Crying - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 5 Health Benefits Of Crying (639 Views)

5 Health Benefits Of Fasting / Ogun Govt. Shuts 5 Health Institutions / The Woman Carrying Oxygen To Survive And The Crying Little Boy In New Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Health Benefits Of Crying by kay29000(m): 5:28pm On Jun 23, 2015
Benefits of crying? Yes, crying has its benefits. Although a lot of men see crying as something that only kids or women should do, there are a lot of benefits in the act. Read 5 of them below.

1. Releasing Your Tears Helps You Flush out Toxins.
A study performed by Dr. William H. Frey at the Saint Paul-Ramsey medical center found out that stress related tears and tears caused by physical irritation (like when you cut onions) are not one and the same. Tears that are provoked by stress helps your body rid itself of nasty chemicals that raise cortisol (the stress hormone). So, in essence, you feel a whole lot better after the emotional down-pour passes.

2. Crying Helps Deal With Depression
From going in and out of depression, I have discovered that I get out of depression faster when I take time to cry. When I leave the male ego out the door, and cry a good cry, I always feel a lot better, and am able to deal with the problems in my life afterwards. It is like, after the cry, you are like..."Okay. That is out of the way; now what?" It is like reaching the bottom of the emotional barrel, and all you can do is go is up.

3. Crying Kills Bacteria
Tears contain the fluid, lysozyme, which is also found in human milk, mucus, and saliva. This fluid can kill 90 to 95% of all bacteria in just 10 minutes.

4. Crying Helps Reduce Blood Pressure of men with High BP
There was a report that was written shortly after Princess Diana died in 1997. The report narrated that English men traditionally don't cry no matter the circumstances. It is like a taboo in English culture for a man to pour tears out of sorrow or loss of something or anything for that matter. But on the event of Princess Diana's death, that taboo was broken as it was reported that not only British women, but British men as well sobbed uncontrollably after her death. The following weeks and months that followed, the health record saw a significant drastic drop in cases of men with high BP or BP related issues. A research revealed that since it is established that sobbing reduces tension in the body and lowers BP, it explained why such cases dropped significantly because many British broke the taboo and have since then been letting tears flow if need be.

5. Tears Improves Mood
Tears can elevate our mood better than any antidepressant available. A 2008 study from the University of South Florida found crying can be self-soothing and elevate mood better than any antidepressant. The shedding of tears improved the mood of almost 90 percent of criers compared to the eight percent who reported crying made them feel worse. Individuals with anxiety or mood disorders were less likely to experience the positive effects of crying.

So, there you have it; 5 reasons to cry. As much as people like to show the world they don't cry, everybody cries, or at least feels the urge to cry. It is only crazy people that don't cry. So, the next time you feel that urge to cry, lock yourself in your room, and let those tears roll down your face; you would be doing yourself more good than harm.
Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Crying by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jun 23, 2015
True that
Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Crying by angieberry(f): 5:32pm On Jun 23, 2015
Yes crying helps me feel so much better!

1 Like

Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Crying by kay29000(m): 5:34pm On Jun 23, 2015
Yea.
Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Crying by AdeniyiA(m): 5:41pm On Jun 23, 2015
angieberry:
Yes crying helps me feel so much better!
cry cry baby ... cool
Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Crying by angieberry(f): 5:46pm On Jun 23, 2015
Na u sabi tongue
AdeniyiA:

cry cry baby ... cool
Re: 5 Health Benefits Of Crying by Yustash001(m): 5:52pm On Jun 23, 2015
People will be amazed when they ask you why you are crying and you said it's for the benefit of health...

(1) (Reply)

Any Doctor Or Pharmacist Here? Help / 7 Dangers Halitosis Poses To Ladies / Sugar Awareness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.