Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,752 members, 7,820,593 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

The Ukaan Language. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ukaan Language. (2337 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ukaan Language. by Temital(f): 12:05pm On Jun 24, 2015
Good morning nairalanders. Please I need clarification on this. Yesterday I was surfing the net as usual and then typed 'What is Umo in Akoko?' and the search results I got made me hunger for more. I discovered from various research(mostly by foreigners.) that in Akoko alone are different languages and dialects of the Yoruba language. One of such language is 'Ukaan'. According to the theses 'Ukaan' is a language spoken in Auga, Ishe, Kakumo and anyaran of Ondo and edo States(Akoko North in Ondo and Akoko-edo in Edo). Aside that 'Ukaan has its own dialects like ligau, Isheu etc.

I am from Auga in Ondo (my father's place, while my mum is from Ikare, both in Akoko North-East). My Dad's language is very different from my mum's. You just have to learn it to understand while that of my mum is much easier. Once you understand Yoruba, you can get everything they say. It was in our of those papers that I saw the different classification of Akoko North. Ikare was grouped under Yoruboid and they are a dialect of Yoruba while Auga was grouped under Ukaan and their dialect is ligau or Igau. My mum once told me Auga should have been under Edo instead of Ondo.
So now the question is are the Ukaans Yoruba, Edo or they a tribe on their own?

Onye Maryam means Maryam's mother in Ukaan.

Please help me out! [i]Good morning nairalanders. Please I need clarification on this. Yesterday I was surfing the net as usual and then typed 'What is Umo in Akoko?' and the search results I got made me hunger for more. I discovered from various research(mostly by foreigners.) that in Akoko alone are different languages and dialects of the Yoruba language. One of such language is 'Ukaan'. According to the theses 'Ukaan' is a language spoken in Auga, Ishe, Kakumo and anyaran of Ondo and edo States(Akoko North in Ondo and Akoko-edo in Edo). Aside that 'Ukaan has its own dialects like ligau, Isheu etc.

I am from Auga in Ondo (my father's place, while my mum is from Ikare, both in Akoko North-East). My Dad's language is very different from my mum's. You just have to learn it to understand while that of my mum is much easier. Once you understand Yoruba, you can get everything they say. It was in our of those papers that I saw the different classification of Akoko North. Ikare was grouped under Yoruboid and they are a dialect of Yoruba while Auga was grouped under Ukaan and their dialect is ligau or Igau. My mum once told me Auga should have been under Edo instead of Ondo.

Please help me out! [/i]Good morning nairalanders. Please I need clarification on this. Yesterday I was surfing the net as usual and then typed 'What is Umo in Akoko?' and the search results I got made me hunger for more. I discovered from various research(mostly by foreigners.) that in Akoko alone are different languages and dialects of the Yoruba language. One of such language is 'Ukaan'. According to the theses 'Ukaan' is a language spoken in Auga, Ishe, Kakumo and anyaran of Ondo and edo States(Akoko North in Ondo and Akoko-edo in Edo). Aside that 'Ukaan has its own dialects like ligau, Isheu etc.

Please help me out!
Re: The Ukaan Language. by scholes0(m): 1:39pm On Jun 24, 2015
They are an unaffiliated Akoko people who historically are send to be descended from the Benue-Congo languages that had interactions with Yoruba, proto-Edo, Nupoid (Today However, they would describe themselves as Yoruba)
Under the Defoid language family, there are two major groups. The Akokoid group (Arigidi, Erusu, Ese, Oke Agbe, Igashi, Ajowa Etc) and the Yoruboid group (Igala, Yoruba, Itsekiri, Ede Ife Etc). Ukaan is neither of these roups and exist in its own category of UKAAN
The Akoko Area (Ondo and Edo states) is a tower of Babel, where you will find a language in every square mile.. Today, mostly speak Yoruba.

So to your question, they were historically neither Yoruba nor Edo, but today, They are seen as Yoruba ... sort of.
I think you get it now?
Re: The Ukaan Language. by Temital(f): 2:59pm On Jun 24, 2015
scholes0:
They are an unaffiliated Akoko people who historically had interactions with Yoruba, Edo and Ebira people (Today However, they would describe themselves as Yoruba)
Under the Defoid language family, there are two major groups. The Akokoid group (Arigidi, Erusu, Ese, Oke Agbe, Igashi, Ajowa Etc) and the Yoruboid group (Igala, Yoruba, Itsekiri, Ede Ife, Ede Ketu, Etc) ... I think Ukaan falls under the Akokoid cluster.
The Akoko Area (Ondo and Edo states) is a tower of Babel, where you will find a language in every square mile..... Today, most speak Yoruba.

So to your question, they were historically neither Yoruba nor Edo, but today, They are seen as Yoruba ... sort of.
I think you get it now?

Yea, thank you..
Re: The Ukaan Language. by StarFlux: 7:28pm On Jun 24, 2015
Could anyone post something in Ukaan? (Greetings or something of the sort).
Re: The Ukaan Language. by Temital(f): 8:11pm On Jun 24, 2015
StarFlux:
Could anyone post something in Ukaan? (Greetings or something of the sort).

Umo - weldone (or something)
Mabai - Come and eat (I'm not sure)
Feti baro - Leave there or leave that place.

Can't remember the rest..

1 Like

Re: The Ukaan Language. by StarFlux: 11:22pm On Jun 27, 2015
Temital:

Umo - weldone (or something)
Mabai - Come and eat (I'm not sure)
Feti baro - Leave there or leave that place.

Can't remember the rest..
Nice one. Thank you!
Re: The Ukaan Language. by mandarin: 4:22pm On Jun 28, 2015
scholes0:
They are an unaffiliated Akoko people who historically had interactions with Yoruba, Edo and Ebira people (Today However, they would describe themselves as Yoruba)
Under the Defoid language family, there are two major groups. The Akokoid group (Arigidi, Erusu, Ese, Oke Agbe, Igashi, Ajowa Etc) and the Yoruboid group (Igala, Yoruba, Itsekiri, Ede Ife, Ede Ketu, Etc) ... I think Ukaan falls under the Akokoid cluster.
The Akoko Area (Ondo and Edo states) is a tower of Babel, where you will find a language in every square mile..... Today, most speak Yoruba.

I think you get it now?

its historically deeper than this. You need to understand the impact of the Oyo empire, not all part of what is now Yoruba land had equal influence of the empire. Those places with deeper influence speaks a variety of dialect that are closer to the capital Oyo but have you thought about the Ilaje, Ekiti, Ijesa, Yagba, Akokos, Owo etc , all these were autonomous kingdoms and Oyo which is the variant dialect spoken today is not the common language of the people.
One thing that is common to all from Yoruba to Edo to Igala, Itsekiri and even ijaw is Ife. All were under ife kingdom and their varieties of dialect have the oldest lexicons of the Yoruba language. The truth also is the mix around Ondo state today, Bini empire had impacts of them as well up to Ekiti , Owo, Ondo and so on. The truth is, Ife, Oyo, Bini have all impacted the entire Yoruba, Edo, Delta, Kogi up to Onitsha.The last 560 years changed the whole landscape, its all a related groups up to Bariba, and Gbagyi
Re: The Ukaan Language. by lawani: 9:32pm On Jan 05, 2016
I think Yoruboid languages are a blend of Igboid language and Kemitic Egyptian with touches from Edoid, Akokoid, Nupe and etc but I believe the language is basically Igboid and Kemitic Egyptian. How that came to be is a mystery. It is akin to how Britain came to be speaking a Germanic language when the people are over 70 percent genetically Celtic. A huge population of Kemitic Egyptian mixed with an aboriginal population in the Yoruboid area and imposed their language. These people also have remnants among the Wolof and etc going by the language but the bulk of them settled in the Yoruboid areas apparently, going by the language. Some Awos among the Yoruba know an ancient language. This language should be studied to see how it is similar to the Akokoid, Igboid and Edoid groups. There is an old language classification of ede ife or defoid consisting of Yoruba, Akoko and some others but it has been relegated in favour of YEAI, Yoruboid, Edoid, Akokoid, Igboid as they are all equally related according to linguists but I think Yoruboid and Igboid are more related, possibly because I am more exposed to Igbo. I also believe all those language including even the strange Ijoid are legitimate ancient Ife languages. It is also possible that the whole Yoruba were originally Akokoid before the Egyptians came. An Awo was saying the old Yoruba word for house was Arigidi and this name occurs only in Akoko today. How we got so different languages within so little distances will never be explained easily I believe. The origin of language is perplexing and headache inducing.
Re: The Ukaan Language. by Temital(f): 6:18pm On Feb 06, 2016
lawani:
I think Yoruboid languages are a blend of Igboid language and Kemitic Egyptian with touches from Edoid, Akokoid, Nupe and etc but I believe the language is basically Igboid and Kemitic Egyptian. How that came to be is a mystery. It is akin to how Britain came to be speaking a Germanic language when the people are over 70 percent genetically Celtic. A huge population of Kemitic Egyptian mixed with an aboriginal population in the Yoruboid area and imposed their language. These people also have remnants among the Wolof and etc going by the language but the bulk of them settled in the Yoruboid areas apparently, going by the language. Some Awos among the Yoruba know an ancient language. This language should be studied to see how it is similar to the Akokoid, Igboid and Edoid groups. There is an old language classification of ede ife or defoid consisting of Yoruba, Akoko and some others but it has been relegated in favour of YEAI, Yoruboid, Edoid, Akokoid, Igboid as they are all equally related according to linguists but I think Yoruboid and Igboid are more related, possibly because I am more exposed to Igbo. I also believe all those language including even the strange Ijoid are legitimate ancient Ife languages. It is also possible that the whole Yoruba were originally Akokoid before the Egyptians came. An Awo was saying the old Yoruba word for house was Arigidi and this name occurs only in Akoko today. How we got so different languages within so little distances will never be explained easily I believe. The origin of language is perplexing and headache inducing.
Okay, thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Adult Education Lesson Center In Lagos / Osu Caste System Had Been Banned In Igboland-influencial Traditional Ruler / 13 Food Superstitions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.