Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:05 AM

Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. (14565 Views)

Photos Of My Snail Farm In Edo State / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by geeud(f): 6:40am On Jun 25, 2015
I will love to embark on rearing of snails in my house as I can't find any reasonable, paying job to do now but want to do something and work for myself. I will need people into this farming to please share ideas with me and everyone interested in this line of farming too. I have done a lot of research but needs practical farmers to share their realities as well as state how to start with small capital of say #40k.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 8:30am On Jun 25, 2015
geeud:
I will love to embark on rearing of snails in my house as I can't find any reasonable, paying job to do now but want to do something and work for myself. I will need people into this farming to please share ideas with me and everyone interested in this line of farming too. I have done a lot of research but needs practical farmers to share their realities as well as state how to start with small capital of say #40k.

Snail farming doesn't need much capital in starting up one.

All you need first of all is a pen/ house for them which you can source locally e.g two tyres and a basket or you can ask someone to build for you.

Then the snails. You can buy a few from the market and in turn, those few will give birth to many more that will become your main snails.

There food mainly is watermelon, pawpaw, cabbage, vegetable leaves, etc. You can plant few vegetables around if you have the space so that you can get that one locally same with pawpaw. You can buy watermelon for less than 300 naira an you can feed them the watermelon once every week.
Cabbage: You can get the outer coverings of cabbage from the sellers without even having to pay or you can buy and store.

I think that is all.

4 Likes

Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 8:43am On Jun 25, 2015
tyres are much better,you could arrange 3 or 4 tyres ontop of each other ..it'd be much neater than using a basket and will contain more snails ...surprisingly I just started mine yesterday

Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 8:45am On Jun 25, 2015
kunlesufyan:
tyres are much better,you could arrange 3 or 4 tyres ontop of each other ..it'd be much neater than using a basket and will contain more snails ...surprisingly I just started mine yesterday

Wow... Is that a paint bucket? It looks too small for them.
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 8:53am On Jun 25, 2015
Tyres will be much better,you could place 3 or 4 ontop of each other ..it'd be much better than a basket...surprisingly I started mine yesterday ..
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 8:57am On Jun 25, 2015
Neduzze5:

Wow... Is that a paint bucket? It looks too small for them.
Nah...when I removed them from the nylon I bought them in,I put them in a bucket ...I later transfered them into the tyre
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by oluks05: 9:46am On Jun 25, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Nah...when I removed them from the nylon I bought them in,I put them in a bucket ...I later transfered them into the tyre

Pls can you post pictures of this how this tyres were arranged and the snails inside them. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Kings331(m): 10:27am On Jun 25, 2015
That's a nice choice you have made. But I will advice you not to buy ur parent stock from the open market. its better u pick from d wild urself or you pay people that can do dat for you. Then, as much as possible avoid buying anything. You can source for watermelon or any other feed source without paying for dem. U can ask direct questions if need be.

1 Like

Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 11:01am On Jun 25, 2015
Kings331:
That's a nice choice you have made. But I will advice you not to buy ur parent stock from the open market. its better u pick from d wild urself or you pay people that can do dat for you. Then, as much as possible avoid buying anything. You can source for watermelon or any other feed source without paying for dem. U can ask direct questions if need be.
Iv read about improved feed for snails,do you have any idea wat its composed of?
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by TheUnbeatable(m): 11:02am On Jun 25, 2015
@ Op:

I disagree politely with all above advices.
I have done this before successfully. I don't think I will advise you to start snailry.

Let me return later to give you some life lessons.

Sincerely.
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 11:48am On Jun 25, 2015
TheUnbeatable:
@ Op:

I disagree politely with all above advices.
I have done this before successfully. I don't think I will advise you to start snailry.

Let me return later to give you some life lessons.

Sincerely.
You've done it successfully and you won't advice her to start it
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 11:55am On Jun 25, 2015
kunlesufyan:

You've done it successfully and you won't advice her to start it

Lolz... Imagine such!!
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 11:55am On Jun 25, 2015
Kunlesufyan... I went to see my snails today and saw 12 eggs cheesy

The family will soon be increasing
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 12:28pm On Jun 25, 2015
Neduzze5:
Kunlesufyan... I went to see my snails today and saw 12 eggs cheesy

The family will soon be increasing
Nice ...In 2days..theyll hatch ,how many snails did you start with ?
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 12:36pm On Jun 25, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Nice ...In 2days..theyll hatch ,how many snails did you start with ?

2 days? I don't think so ooh.

I think it's up to 100
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 12:40pm On Jun 25, 2015
Neduzze5:

2 days? I don't think so ooh.

I think it's up to 100
Lol...my bad ...was meant to type 28 days...100 is a good no oo...I started with 75 will make it a 100 too...
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 12:49pm On Jun 25, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Lol...my bad ...was meant to type 28 days...100 is a good no oo...I started with 75 will make it a 100 too...

Did you buy yours?

I picked mine around my compound.
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 1:02pm On Jun 25, 2015
Neduzze5:

Did you buy yours?

I picked mine around my compound.
Yeah I bought them...one mudu for 6oo naira ...I bought 2 mudu and there were 75all together....ill go today and buy one more mudu so I'll round it off to 100 or more... I'll also buy native chalk ( a natural form of calcium)
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 1:04pm On Jun 25, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Yeah I bought them...one mudu for 6oo naira ...I bought 2 mudu and there were 75all together....ill go today and buy one more mudu so I'll round it off to 100 or more... I'll also buy native chalk ( a natural form of calcium)

That's cool.

I'd love to see pictures of your snail in their new home.
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 1:27pm On Jun 25, 2015
Neduzze5:

That's cool.

I'd love to see pictures of your snail in their new home.
What specie do you think this is?

Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 1:31pm On Jun 25, 2015
kunlesufyan:

What specie do you think this is?

I think this is Achatina Achatina. Not quite sure though. What do you use to cover them? Cover them, snap the pen from a little far distance.

I'm looking to change the pen for mine.
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 1:38pm On Jun 25, 2015
@Neduzze5

2 Likes

Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 3:14pm On Jun 25, 2015
kunlesufyan:
@Neduzze5

Nice environment but a place with some sort of loamy soil would be better.

Hope you swept the place properly to avoid pests, ants and other predators?
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 4:31pm On Jun 25, 2015
Neduzze5:

Nice environment but a place with some sort of loamy soil would be better.

Hope you swept the place properly to avoid pests, ants and other predators?
Yeah iv added that to the pen....and I swept it too
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 4:39pm On Jun 25, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Yeah iv added that to the pen....and I swept it too

Alright. I bought a new bucket for my snails though.

I want to start sorting them in sizes; big ones together, smaller ones together.
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 4:54pm On Jun 25, 2015
Neduzze5:

Alright. I bought a new bucket for my snails though.

I want to start sorting them in sizes; big ones together, smaller ones together.
Gbam!!! I tot of that too..it make much sense ..are you rearing them so you'll sell later or just for eating ?
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 4:58pm On Jun 25, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Gbam!!! I tot of that too..it make much sense ..are you rearing them so you'll sell later or just for eating ?

I'm rearing them for sale ooh but in a better way.
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 5:13pm On Jun 25, 2015
Neduzze5:

I'm rearing them for sale ooh but in a better way.
Nice ..I'm looking to have like 1000 snails and above ...
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 5:21pm On Jun 25, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Nice ..I'm looking to have like 1000 snails and above ...

Too small... I'm looking to have a million and above!! Wanna open a snail industry!!! cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 6:00pm On Jun 25, 2015
Neduzze5:

Too small... I'm looking to have a million and above!! Wanna open a snail industry!!! cheesy
Damn!!! Big dream ..oya na..the specie that lays plenty eggs will be good for that purpose
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 6:00pm On Jun 25, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Damn!!! Big dream ..oya na..the specie that lays plenty eggs will be good for that purpose

Yeah. I hope to have almost 1, 000 before the end of August
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by akhis: 6:23pm On Jun 25, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Do you mean u bought about 35 snails for 600? Pls where is your location and can we see the pix to know the sizes?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SONGHAI FARMS TRAINING: Let's Plan & Attend Together / Dwarf hybrid pawpaw Seed & Seedling Is Available. / Sale Of Poultry Equipment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.