Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,557 members, 7,837,148 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Drops 4 Ways Women Can Promote Feminism - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Drops 4 Ways Women Can Promote Feminism (984 Views)

Ngozi Ezeonu's Son, Chidera Ezeonu Pictured / Peter Okoye Meets Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala In Maryland, USA (Photo) / Ngozi Nwosu: “I Will Marry When It Is Right Time” — 53 Year Old Veteran Actress (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Drops 4 Ways Women Can Promote Feminism by ImanuelJannah(m): 5:57pm On Jun 25, 2015
In her usual style, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie just dropped some awesome feminist knowledge.

In a speech given at Wellesley College’s Commencement ceremony on May 29, the award-winning author discussed feminism, male privilege and daring to speak your mind.

Adichie said that she understood from a young age that the world did not cater to women they way it does men.

Huffington Post reports that Adichie then told her audience of young female graduates a number of ways the can promote feminism and take the world by storm as follows:

1.Write television shows in which female strength is not depicted as remarkable but merely normal. Teach your students to see that vulnerability is a human rather than a female trait.

2.Commission magazine articles that teach men how to keep a woman happy. Because there are already too many articles that tell women how to keep a man happy.

3.Campaign and agitate for paid paternity leave everywhere.

4.Hire more women where there are few. But remember that a woman you hire doesn’t have to be exceptionally good. Like a majority of the men who get hired, she just needs to be good enough.

She concluded the address on a beautiful and poignant note, telling the young women that the most important thing in the world is love — but remembering to give love and take love is key. “Now girls are often raised to see love only as giving. Women are praised for their love when that love is an act of giving. But to love is to give and to take,” she said. “Please love by giving and by taking. Give and be given. If you are only giving and not taking, you’ll know. You’ll know from that small and true voice inside you that we females are so often socialized to silence.”

Adichie finished her speech, telling the crowd: “Don’t silence that voice. Dare to take.“

http://freshestgist.com/index.php/2015/06/25/chimamanda-ngozi-adichie-drops-4-ways-women-can-promote-feminism/

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Drops 4 Ways Women Can Promote Feminism by INTROVERT(f): 5:59pm On Jun 25, 2015
I support this... grin grin grin
grin

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Drops 4 Ways Women Can Promote Feminism by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jun 25, 2015
Fair enough!

The only issue is that women love to be praised for anything they do. If she works and is a mom she wants to be praised for that. But if we just make it look ordinary and not hype women or better yet praise them as much as we praise men, I think it's fair enough.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Drops 4 Ways Women Can Promote Feminism by ice25(f): 6:05pm On Jun 25, 2015
grin I kinda love that paid paternity leave stuff

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Drops 4 Ways Women Can Promote Feminism by Whizzcute(m): 6:30pm On Jun 25, 2015

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Drops 4 Ways Women Can Promote Feminism by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jun 25, 2015
ice25:
grin I kinda love that paid paternity leave stuff

hmm

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Drops 4 Ways Women Can Promote Feminism by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jun 25, 2015
Me likey kiss
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Drops 4 Ways Women Can Promote Feminism by 2dice(m): 7:48pm On Jun 25, 2015
Lmfao ... Some people go tey for their Papa House eeehn

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Drops 4 Ways Women Can Promote Feminism by lanaVello1(m): 11:31pm On Jun 25, 2015
Gender equality is one hell of an illusion joorh

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Drops 4 Ways Women Can Promote Feminism by Nobody: 1:27am On Jun 26, 2015
Cc Victoriabee

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Drops 4 Ways Women Can Promote Feminism by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jun 26, 2015
vote4lekinz:
Cc Victoriabee
I have actually read it, and she's spot on.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Drops 4 Ways Women Can Promote Feminism by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jun 26, 2015
VictoriaBee:

I have actually read it, and she's spot on.
am Helping your ministry

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Kim Kardashian Does Not Look A Day Old Pregnant Atall....do You Agree??? / See Celebrity Kids That Make $141 Every Munite. / 6 Nigerian Footballers And Their Adorable Sons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.