Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,812 members, 7,813,680 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert (97776 Views)

What You Should Know About Building Foundations / Ask Me Any Question On Building Construction Project! / Types Of Foundations In Building Construction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by algorithmz(m): 10:50am On Jun 26, 2015
Op what is the most cost effective means of correcting cracks in buildings also how is the flow of moisture in buildings corrected.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Eragablessen(m): 10:51am On Jun 26, 2015
Bless you op for a demanding thread like this. I've bought a land but plans to start my building by Feb. 2016.
The structures i hope should include 3 bedrooms, 2bathrooms and toilet each, 1 living room/kitchen, 1 dining room, small utility room and a gym room. I also want a "p.o.p" bent on the living room. Please do you have any idea on how i should go with the plans so as not to avoid architectural errors Thanks.
Modified, its going to be a flat pls...
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by semitunde: 10:52am On Jun 26, 2015
opalu:
There is a vital aspect of using inadequate foundation. The determination of the type of foundation a building requires is done by the Structural designs matched with the Soil Investigation/tests. The Structural Engineer through his Analysis estimates the entire loads that is coming on the foundation at various points. Where the foundation required is raft, he determines the depth that will be both SAFE and COST EFFECTIVE. But in a conflict between safety and Cost, the safety takes precedence or else the architect is called in to redesign the building to make it smaller/lighter.
Last year, I did an entire structural designs for an estate at Elegushi in lekki. And the Owner insisted I reduce the raft to 750mm depth. But based on my designs, 750 depth will fail. So I didn't. By the time they the foundations were done to my standard, as soon as the ground floor slabs were completed, heavy rain fell and the ground floor of many estates around the site were submerged, all the ground floor of all his own estate were not flooded.
That was when he knew I did a good job for him.
Apart from flooding, the ability of the foundation to carry the dead and imposed loads for at least 100 years is what is critical.

You didn't state your own design depth and the no of storeys of the building or type of building. This would have helped more in forming a discussion.

Why didn't you reduce to 750mm as the client wanted? Is it because the building cannot be designed with such depth? Or because you need the building to be above the flood level as you say?

What parameters did you use to design the foundation to take care of the flood? Can you take us through the process?

Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by eminemkayc: 10:53am On Jun 26, 2015
This should be done before laying of reinforcement. Reason being that when casting is done, the wet concrete usually slip through those holes thereby weakening the lower part of the slab which is subjected to tensile stress. But due to the leakage of the concrete at that bottom, what plasterers usually do is to fill it with mortar before plastering suffix of slab. But don't forget that the reinforcement were exposed before. So structurally, the bottom reinforcement is nonexistent. So when there are tensile forces, the slab cannot withstand them and what do you get? CRACKS!!! Then your fine POP starts cracking, blocks starts detaching at first floor and even crack etc.

The bottom fibres of a reinforced concrete crossection, in this instance, a slab (solid slab i presume in your write-up), are NOT ALWAYS subjected to tensile stresses. Where cantilevers (or continious one-way panels) exists in the structure, you have hogging moments resulting to tensile bending stresses at the top as well.

Concerning foundation types, aside soil index and shear strength characteristics which are key to the design and selection of a foundation either for a static/rotating industrial equipment or building foundation, another consideration which you didn't mention is underlying soil settlement, both total and differential. Information extracted from geotechnical probe report which would include oedometer tests are key to the calculation and prediction of the consolidation settlement of an underlying cohesive strata and confirm if they are within permissible limits.

You have written well all the same.

5 Likes

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by tgmservice: 10:57am On Jun 26, 2015
Get a logo for free for your new business startup contact me @ www.tgmwebservices.com wats up - 08170736942 pls patronize me its absolutely free
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by manwonder: 10:57am On Jun 26, 2015
OP, God bless you for creating this thread. I had just created a thread on foundation and structural issues 3 days ago, wherein I was seeking professional advice on my building project as I didn't just want to rely on my bricklayer's information.

I'm about constructing a 3-bedroom flat en-suite on a half-plot of land located in an area where plaster sand (called Dagbolu) had been excavated. However, my concern is how to go about the foundation, as I noticed that the the area that my bricklayer had dug became water-logged and almost got washed off as soon as it rained, which gives me the impression that the foundation would need more reinforcement than normal.

Therefore, I need to know the following:

a.) How to go about laying the foundation

b.) What materials would be needed in laying the foundation

c.) How much it would cost to lay the foundation according the method(s) suggested in (a) above and considering the materials suggested in (b) above

d.) How much the whole construction from foundation to roofing would cost considering the nature of the land and the building plan

Please find below pictures of the little work done on the land, as well as the building plan. The land is located in Oluodo area in Ikorodu, Lagos.

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by 400billionman: 10:57am On Jun 26, 2015
Sircomeference:
whatsapp/call me for your fastrack jumia deliveries: 08163817293 | Jumia Sales Consultant

If I slap you ehn, even buhari will not save you..

Carry your baggage elsewhere..

3 Likes

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by manwonder: 10:58am On Jun 26, 2015
more

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by 400billionman: 10:58am On Jun 26, 2015
ghettodreamz:

What a question cheesy

BTW, Aso Rock was built by Mr WHO.

You mean Dr WHO or Willy Willy ?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by manwonder: 10:59am On Jun 26, 2015
... and even more

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by adebahyor: 11:00am On Jun 26, 2015
Good update bro.

I need your advice in choosing the type of tiles to use in my just completed house.

I have a 4 bedroom apartment which am yet to tile because am yet to conclude on the type of tile to use.

wooden or ceramics considering i have two kids already.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by 400billionman: 11:01am On Jun 26, 2015
Goahead:
How much is a bag of cement sef?

N1,900 . Cement traders are tired of rape by manufacturers..

N1830 Ex depot..
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by 400billionman: 11:04am On Jun 26, 2015
Eragablessen:
Bless you op for a demanding thread like this. I've bought a land but plans to start my building by Feb. 2016.
The structures i hope should include 3 bedrooms, 2bathrooms and toilet each, 1 living room/kitchen, 1 dining room, small utility room and a gym room. I also want a "p.o.p" bent on the living room. Please do you have any idea on how i should go with the plans so as not to avoid architectural errors Thanks.
Modified, its going to be a flat pls...

Use a good builder nah..

You cannot build yourself without requisite experience.. Location ?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by eminemkayc: 11:05am On Jun 26, 2015
You didn't state your own design depth and the no of storeys of the building or type of building. This would have helped more in forming a discussion.

Why didn't you reduce to 750mm as the client wanted? Is it because the building cannot be designed with such depth? Or because you need the building to be above the flood level as you say?

What parameters did you use to design the foundation to take care of the flood? Can you take us through the process?

I cannot precisely hold brief for the original poster, however, raft foundations (beam-raft in the poster's instance, i presume) are generally used where poor cohesive/organic soils are encountered, loads from superstructure are not too heavy and settlement (consolidation and creep) are to be controlled. The 750mm firstly, i guess, should be the depth of the raft's ground beam. Secondly, the increase in depth away from 750mm, definitely, is not as a result of the in-ability of a 750mm deep beam to resist bending and shear stresses as a result of loads from the raft but should be as a result of the ground water conditions, which the engineer (op) anticipates would rise above its present condition.

3 Likes

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by pure2012soul(m): 11:08am On Jun 26, 2015
ghettodreamz:

T for Thread
Can I get an answer to my question?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by 400billionman: 11:09am On Jun 26, 2015
manwonder:
more

Why not build in dryseason ? Print out these pictures and keep them to inform the builder of where he is about to build on. Hollow blocks filled with mortar will do a good job for that foundation..

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by ghettodreamz(m): 11:09am On Jun 26, 2015
pure2012soul:

Can I get an answer to my question?
In that case, Google is your friend. smiley

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by TYTAN(m): 11:10am On Jun 26, 2015
@ Opalu: good work. i have just plastered my 3bedroom twin duplex and after a while i stated noticing tiny cracks here and there on the walls. i inquired from the structural engineer what could have caused the cracks, he said the house have just began to settle. can you please give a candid opinion on this. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by desunit(m): 11:13am On Jun 26, 2015
Op! A four storey building with a sound foundation about 20 years old now, recently had a problem with the drainage system. Each time it rained it gets flooded (water will fill the whole compound) am curious if the flooding will have any negative effect on the foundation.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by ziego(m): 11:13am On Jun 26, 2015
ghettodreamz:

What a question cheesy

BTW, Aso Rock was built by Mr WHO.

shocked [color=#006600][/color]
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Eragablessen(m): 11:16am On Jun 26, 2015
400billionman:

Use a good builder nah..

You cannot build yourself without requisite experience.. Location ?

It's Niger state. Besides, all i need is guidelines. I read where you advice the poster above me to build in dry season, could you shed more lights on that pls?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by stanisbaratheon: 11:18am On Jun 26, 2015
following as a civil engineer ....nice

2 Likes

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Nobody: 11:24am On Jun 26, 2015
Following

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by emmanuelsone: 11:28am On Jun 26, 2015
Another GMNSE here also found the thread interesting and educative!
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by gramme01(m): 11:29am On Jun 26, 2015
Please, I am a Civil Engineering student seeking Industrial Training Placement.

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by bosunjohns(m): 11:32am On Jun 26, 2015
opalu:
I have been involved in the structural corrections of more than 1,250 buildings that were wrongly built in the past 10 years.
In all, I have discovered the major reasons why buildings fail structurally are
1. Lack of professionals on the project. The some sub reasons that owners give are that they don't have money to pay them since their charges are avoidable. And also that they themselves have ideas about buildings etc. When there are no professionals on the project, such project will not have the necessary CORRECT designs/drawings. Such projects won't have the right professionals Supervising the Construction Process.
2. Another major reason for Structural failure and foundation issues is the use of substandard materials. These include reinforcements, Sharp sands, Granites, Cement even Water etc. So many Rebars being used can easily cut or rust. Water that contains impurities is not safe for concrete a since those impurities attack the concrete. (Chemistry 101). A Man wanted quote one day and I gave him. But he went for one desperate Contractor who used filling sand to cast concrete! After 6 months, the suspended slab (decking) started vibrating like water bed. I was also called upon and i corrected it at a cost 3 times the cost to build a solid slab. In addition, using the same size of granite (coarse aggregate ) can weaken the concrete.
3. Another reason for failure in buildings is the use of wrong methodology in construction. For instance there is a method whereby wet concrete is vibrated in order to expel voids and holes inside. If you are using pole vibrator, it has to be poked into it left in there for brief interval and removed and poked somewhere else. Some quack roadside casters just use stick to shook here and there or hit here and there. Even if the vibrating machine is used wrongly, it will trap voids. Every construction work has best practice that if not followed, the result will be bad. Another example is that when a carpenter lays the 1x12 for first floor slab, every hole between the planks must be covered with well sliced cement bags nailed with tiny nails. This should be done before laying of reinforcement. Reason being that when casting is done, the wet concrete usually slip through those holes thereby weakening the lower part of the slab which is subjected to tensile stress. But due to the leakage of the concrete at that bottom, what plasterers usually do is to fill it with mortar before plastering suffix of slab. But don't forget that the reinforcement were exposed before. So structurally, the bottom reinforcement is nonexistent. So when there are tensile forces, the slab cannot withstand them and what do you get? CRACKS!!! Then your fine POP starts cracking, blocks starts detaching at first floor and even crack etc.

Let me stop and await your questions.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 11:42am On Jun 26, 2015
TYTAN:
@ Opalu: good work. i have just plastered my 3bedroom twin duplex and after a while i stated noticing tiny cracks here and there on the walls. i inquired from the structural engineer what could have caused the cracks, he said the house have just began to settle. can you please give a candid opinion on this. Thank you

There are different reasons for buildings to settle.
One is the answer the Engineer gave you. Every building settles even if it was built on pile foundation. However settlement must be uniform (monolithic) and must be within acceptable limits. That is it should be very very small and not noticeable. If the building settles differentially you get 'non-uniform' cracks.

Another reason for cracks is plaster cracks. When poor quality plaster sand is used, there will be thread -like cracks on the walls.

The 3rd reason for cracks is the breakage of blocks done by plumbers and electrical conduits. If these long breakages are not filled with strong mortar or weak concrete, then you get major cracks that make it look as if the building is failing at foundation

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by ddugeri(m): 11:45am On Jun 26, 2015
Goahead:
#20 grin
Goahead:
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by stanisbaratheon: 11:47am On Jun 26, 2015
eminemkayc:

I cannot precisely hold brief for the original poster, however, raft foundations (beam-raft in the poster's instance, i presume) are generally used where poor cohesive/organic soils are encountered, loads from superstructure are not too heavy and settlement (consolidation and creep) are to be controlled. The 750mm firstly, i guess, should be the depth of the raft's ground beam. Secondly, the increase in depth away from 750mm, definitely, is not as a result of the in-ability of a 750mm deep beam to resist bending and shear stresses as a result of loads from the raft but should be as a result of the ground water conditions, which the engineer (op) anticipates would rise above its present condition.

good write ups from you...i just read those
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by money121(m): 11:47am On Jun 26, 2015
Nice one @op.. Greet job...
I love dis thread...

Note: for builders and engrs owner of building...
Please dont forget to contact me...
For your roofing sheet...

Stone coated roofing tiles with 50yrs warranty..

Latest quality stone coated roofing tiles from DS Rooftile, South Korea. #2,700 per square meter.
Call/whatsapp 08085310359
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by TYTAN(m): 11:54am On Jun 26, 2015
Thanks Opalu, the cracks are virtualy tiny so may be i should go with the structural engineer explaination.

There are different reasons for buildings to settle.
One is the answer the Engineer gave you. Every building settles even if it was built on pile foundation. However settlement must be uniform (monolithic) and must be within acceptable limits. That is it should be very very small and not noticeable. If the building settles differentially you get 'non-uniform' cracks.

Another reason for cracks is plaster cracks. When poor quality plaster sand is used, there will be thread -like cracks on the walls.

The 3rd reason for cracks is the breakage of blocks done by plumbers and electrical conduits. If these long breakages are not filled with strong mortar or weak concrete, then you get major cracks that make it look as if the building is failing at foundation [/quote]
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by omitooguns(m): 12:09pm On Jun 26, 2015
Use norm strip...dept of 1m and width of 0.675m.

pure2012soul:
I intend putting up a 4 bedroom bungalow on a plot that measures 100x100. It's on a rocky but flat land. The design includes a laundry room, a pantry attached ti the kitchen and all rooms ensuite. Also, there's provision for a walk-in closet in the master bedroom. What sort of foundation should I go for and the likely cost implication?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Contact Us For Your Electrical/mechanical(Plumbing) Design And Installation / Abandoned Home Of Aleister Crowley: Satanist & Wickedest Man In The World / Latest Promo Price For Stone Coated Roof Sheets

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.