Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:01 PM

Remote Sensing Or Meterology, Which Has Better Job Oppportunities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Remote Sensing Or Meterology, Which Has Better Job Oppportunities (1789 Views)

Remote Sensing And GIS / Gis And Remote Sensing In FUTA / Question On Remote Sensing And GIS. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remote Sensing Or Meterology, Which Has Better Job Oppportunities by 1Cor10vs26(m): 9:18am On Jun 26, 2015
Hi, am a 2nd year student of Geography in a university of technology. Am to choose between meterology and remote sensing in my 3rd year and i've been unable to decide which is better so far; advice on job opportunities, how marketable these fields are and chances of furthering education after graduation would be highly appreciated
Re: Remote Sensing Or Meterology, Which Has Better Job Oppportunities by missdebs(f): 9:54am On Jun 26, 2015
bros, choose the one you have passion for, as far as i'm concerned there is no job out there
Re: Remote Sensing Or Meterology, Which Has Better Job Oppportunities by 1Cor10vs26(m): 12:00am On Jun 28, 2015
to be sincere i hae passion for none, i didnt apply for the course. it was given to me by the school sad
Re: Remote Sensing Or Meterology, Which Has Better Job Oppportunities by Nobody: 7:55am On Jun 28, 2015
1Cor10vs26:
Hi, am a 2nd year student of Geography in a university of technology. Am to choose between meterology and remote sensing in my 3rd year and i've been unable to decide which is better so far; advice on job opportunities, how marketable these fields are and chances of furthering education after graduation would be highly appreciated

Generally speaking, you need to be conversant with both fields of study, i.e, remote sensing and meteorology, as both are interconnected. However, it is important to keep in mind that remote sensing is a very basic aspect of geography that could be used to understand meteorology better. You'd quite agree with me that there's an aspect of remote sensing known as "atmospheric remote sensing"- the use of remote sensors in studying atmospheric conditions/processes. Hence, in terms of which is better than the other, I'll say none. I'd rather you be more interested in the more fundamental field which I believe in this regard is remote sensing.

In relation to job opportunities and how marketable these fields are, it depends on the part of the world you are in. As missdebs rightly opined, choose that which you are passionate about. To add to that especially in the context of being in Nigeria, I'd suggest that you choose remote sensing. I believe you must have heard about (or have been introduced) to G.I.S., a rapidly evolving geographical field that is not only gaining acceptance worldwide but also a very good source of income should you understand the "nuts and bolts" of the applications involved. Asides oil and gas firms requiring G.I.S. applications, a broad scope of organizations and industries also find such applications very useful. Examples include banks, ministries, military establishments, meteorological centres and so on. Remote sensing has a huge role to play in making G.I.S. even more robust. So, the point being made is that remote sensing (especially when combined with G.I.S.) is quite marketable.

In terms of furthering your education after graduation, of course, you may choose to further your studies if you so wish. I am well aware there are seasoned lecturers specializing in the aforementioned study areas spread around the country and overseas. However, your not being passionate about either course calls for reflection. You'd have to get that natural motivation to keep you going no matter the circumstances. If you can't find it, then it inevitably means that you're wasting your resources (i.e., time and money) studying such course. However, if you find it, use it to your advantage and get the best out of it in terms of emerging with not just a very good grade but strong practical knowledge. While the role of the good grade's to position you better for both job and scholarship opportunities, I believe you understand what the practical knowledge does. Again, keep in mind that you need to understand the theory behind every concept as well. This will facilitate your understanding of the practical aspects. Left for me to decide, I'd choose remote sensing over meteorology and ensure that I understand the basics excellently.

1 Like

Re: Remote Sensing Or Meterology, Which Has Better Job Oppportunities by 1Cor10vs26(m): 12:23am On Aug 08, 2015
Wow, thanks a lot guys. This was really helpful
Re: Remote Sensing Or Meterology, Which Has Better Job Oppportunities by emak1991: 8:03pm On May 10, 2020
My work.I'm a GIS (Geographic information system analyst). I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,snap and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index).etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.thanks and God bless.
Re: Remote Sensing Or Meterology, Which Has Better Job Oppportunities by akin1991: 8:59am On Jan 08, 2021
Get d best GIS (Geographic information system) training..u will ive d opportunity to learn different things like NDWI(normalized difference water index),NDVI (Normalized difference vegetation index),Time mapping, 3d mapping, georeferencing,digitizing,Geocoding,watershed delineation, stream extraction, digitizing in google earth, image classification, land cover mapping, land change modeler and celulla automata/Markov chain for land cover forecast/prediction, creation of web map(Qgis2web),map publishing (Qgis cloud),preparation of data,buffering analysis, service area analysis, cost path,location allocation analysis, contour mapping etc..... U will also have d opportunity to use different GIS software's such as ArcGis,Qgis,surfer,idrisi terrset,Global mapper,smartGIS, SAS planet,map puzzle etc... Online training 7k, physical training 40k.call 08106244065
Re: Remote Sensing Or Meterology, Which Has Better Job Oppportunities by akin1991: 7:02pm On Jan 20, 2021
Get d best GIS (Geographic information system) training..u will ive d opportunity to learn different things like NDWI(normalized difference water index),NDVI (Normalized difference vegetation index),Time mapping, 3d mapping, georeferencing,digitizing,Geocoding,watershed delineation, stream extraction, digitizing in google earth, image classification, land cover mapping, land change modeler and celulla automata/Markov chain for land cover forecast/prediction, creation of web map(Qgis2web),map publishing (Qgis cloud),preparation of data,buffering analysis, service area analysis, cost path,location allocation analysis, contour mapping etc..... U will also have d opportunity to use different GIS software's such as ArcGis,Qgis,surfer,idrisi terrset,Global mapper,smartGIS, SAS planet,map puzzle etc... Online training 12k, physical training 40k.Call 08106244065
Re: Remote Sensing Or Meterology, Which Has Better Job Oppportunities by akin1991: 2:05pm On Feb 17, 2021
Get d best GIS (Geographic information system) training in Geospatial science enterprise. You will ive d opportunity to learn different things like NDWI(normalized difference water index),NDVI (Normalized difference vegetation index),Time mapping, 3d mapping, georeferencing,digitizing,Geocoding,watershed delineation, stream extraction, digitizing in google earth, image classification, land cover mapping, land change modeler and celulla automata/Markov chain for land cover forecast/prediction, creation of web map(Qgis2web),map publishing (Qgis cloud),preparation of data,buffering analysis, service area analysis, cost path,location allocation analysis, contour mapping etc..... U will also have d opportunity to use different GIS software's such as ArcGis,Qgis,surfer,idrisi terrset,Global mapper,smartGIS, SAS planet,map puzzle etc... Online training 12k, physical training 40k.call 08106244065

(1) (Reply)

9 Countries That Pay The Highest Minimum Wages / A Book Review Of The Media Writer - Godspower Udoh / Will Your Burn Your Certificates For Just 50 Million Dollars?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.