Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,474 members, 7,850,635 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:30 AM

Career Advise Pls - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Advise Pls (739 Views)

Advise Pls. My Job Opportunity After Studying Mathematics In School / Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. / Career Advise- Ican / Cibn/cimuk/ Icsan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Advise Pls by 24spicy: 4:02pm On Feb 28, 2009
Hi guys. Advise pls. I hav a Bachelors and Masters Degree in chemical engineering. but i hav been in the telecomm industry for the past three years. i also hav a CCNA certification. My problem is in deciding on a career path. i dont know whether i should pursue a career in Telecomms maybe wit a masters in Network Engineering or a career in chemical engineering maybe with a PHD. i am really confused. All i really want is to b a success in watever i do. pls i need ur honest opinion, guidance and counselling. i hav the fear that wit a degree in Chemical Engineering, i might not go far in the Telecomm Industry and also since i dont hav work experience with Chemical Engineering, i might find it hard getting into the Oil and Gas industry.
Pls i need ur honest guidance. Thank u and God Bless.
Re: Career Advise Pls by MT: 7:09pm On Feb 28, 2009
I am happy for you because you have to make a decision between "two good choices". I will try to make my contribution as concise as possible.

I will start by asking you if you feel "happy" as well as "fulfilled" in the telecom sector. These 2 quoted words will ultimately decide where your career paths will swing. If you are fulfilled with it, go ahead and get as many qualifications as possible, you will be ok at the end of the day.

However, if you are into telecomms because you could not secure a job with your chemical engineering certificate, and you are still in love with Chemical Engineering, try and switch towards obtaining further qualification in Chemical Engineering. Dont worry that you do not have experience in it, it will get to a point when everything will fall into places.

Lastly, there is a big difference in being RICH and being FULFILLED. Go for the one that will make you fulfilled as a person!.

I hope you find this useful wink
Re: Career Advise Pls by 24spicy: 11:45am On Mar 01, 2009
Thanks MT, i found ur contribution very useful. I think i find d telecomm industry interesting, i cant say i am fulfiled yet.
More contributions will b highly appreciated pls.
Re: Career Advise Pls by Mustay(m): 1:15am On Mar 03, 2009
I listened to a documentary on "what's the use of studying a course when you would eventually not work in your field of study?". These days, what you study doesn't get to be your professional career path. If you find Telecoms interesting, pursue your career there. You would never know what position or industry you would become a top hierarchy in, the two could come in handy and peers would you think You're a genius. 2 heads are better than one.
Re: Career Advise Pls by AjanleKoko: 8:33am On Mar 03, 2009
Whereabouts exactly do you work in the telecoms industry?
I am a Bsc MSc Electrical and Electronic Engineering, and I work in GSM.
Trust me, I'm in the minority. The vast majority of people who work in GSM and are doing very well, did not study anything remotely related to telecoms.
I'm talking core telecom o, not Sales, Marketing, or Customer Care. The bulk of people who made the cross over when GSM started, came from the IT industry, and they were not telecom professionals per se.
Telecom has lots of training and development opportunities, I suggest you take advantage of them.

Peace
Re: Career Advise Pls by Mustay(m): 2:41pm On Mar 04, 2009
AjanleKoko:

Telecom has lots of training and development opportunities, I suggest you take advantage of them.

exactly

(1) (Reply)

Urgent Help And Advice / Professional Advice Needed Urgently / Pls And Pls, A 400 Level Geology Student Is In Need Of 6 Month It Placement.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.