Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,424 members, 7,815,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Should There Be Deaf Doctors? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Should There Be Deaf Doctors? (644 Views)

See The Team Of Doctors Attending To A Gorilla Giving Birth In A Zoo(Photos) / Doctors Invade UBTH Accounts Department To Enforce Their Salary Payment - Pics / A Deaf Final Year Pharmacy Student Who Needs Surgery Urgently To Graduate!....#s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should There Be Deaf Doctors? by chuks87(m): 8:13am On Jun 27, 2015
i asked dis question back on facebook and i was astonished on the kind of criticisms i received which fortunately, wasn't posted directly on my facebook wall, but in all honesty should there really be a deaf doctor? pls dnt get infuriated by it, it is a normal question anyone with you inclusive could ask and not based on self pity or otherwise...if you can query any of our friends close to us, they will tell u that we (the deaf) enjoy watching movies, playing music, sing, make n receive phone calls! (i knw u ll ask how is that possible?,)
now, back to the matter should there really be a deaf doctor? pls, take time to ready my comprehension and "answer d question that follows"....
i checked in at an ENT (Ear, Nose, and throat) clinic for a doctor appointment... i ran into an old friend who is deaf n dumb. been ASL deficient, i had quickly recount d few basic ASL (American Sign language) i learnt from watching the movie "Switched @ Birth" and manage to muster the few basic ASl like "how u" "hope all good "nice to met ya" .... he smiled (though in my mind i guess he was only mocking me) @ d end of every single gestures i made and i was lucky not to step on his toes, thinking i am gay, wen i signed "i love you" in place of "been a while, missed you"...to cut short d epistle, he left and i made way for my doctor's office...
Along the way, a lady who we noticed earlier that have been rushed in on emergency and now on drip gesticulated @ me to come. with her other free hand, she started mesmerizing me with her ASL grammar like Hon Patrick obiagbon murdering english , moving her hands up, down, left and right like a sunday school choirmaster and i was like waoh ...easy...hold on...i quickly grabbed a nearby pencil on the desk and use the back of my printed report to make her write as i feel i gotta need a human subtitle machine to enable me decipher what she tryna say via her hands....
why trying to write with her non-dominant left hand the tip of the person broke and we were stuck wt no where.
from d look of her face, i understand that she wanna tell me something and it is an emergency and neither of her siblings could help matters either...
left wt no choice, i had to made her go through additional stress by making her to sign every sentence letter by letter! and from there i was able to deduce that though she was admitted on epileptic grounds, she is also pregnant and so d nurse should know d kind of drugs to administer so as not to harm and her unborn baby and as well complicate her health issue. while, i was still compiling d hand speaking language, d nurse has already ready her syringe for injection but after telling her (the Nurse), she had to terminate operation and an alternative medical care was provided...
after i left i began to wonder... why no deaf doctors? Doctors who can speak their "language, communicate and understand them effectively rather than rely on basic symptoms and deductions.
so should der b deaf doctors?
Re: Should There Be Deaf Doctors? by Beesluv: 8:20am On Jun 27, 2015
Hmm, doctors should include talking fingers or sign language in the course
Re: Should There Be Deaf Doctors? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 28, 2015
YES I THINK AND I KNOW SO
Re: Should There Be Deaf Doctors? by chuks87(m): 9:43pm On Jun 28, 2015
Beesluv:
Hmm, doctors should include talking fingers or sign language in the course
y nt appointed a deaf doctor in dis scenario... i.e as an assistance....

(1) (Reply)

Fact!! More Muscle Burn More Calories / Yes Industry Is Crammed With Plenty Of Penile / Doctors, Why Injecting Via Limbs Instead Of The Conventional Buttock Method

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.