Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,441 members, 7,819,631 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? (3643 Views)

What Certification Can I Do As An Engineer? / An Engineer Needs An Advice / 10 Good Reasons Why You Should Marry An Engineer (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? by Chiscomax(m): 10:31am On Jun 27, 2015
there is this this professional body for.mechanical Engineers which is internationally recognized. By standards, an engineering graduate can not be called an engineer just because he has obtained a degree in Engineering. Just like you can have the title "Engr" attached to your Name as a title after joining professional bodies like COREN and NSE, I would like to know of being a member of ImechE would also make you an engineer.

To the professionals on the house, please I need your advice. I am a student of Mechanical Engineering from FUTO. thanks a lot in advance.
Re: Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? by delishpot: 10:34am On Jun 27, 2015
Chiscomax:
there is this this professional body for.mechanical Engineers which is internationally recognized. By standards, an engineering graduate can not be called an engineer just because he has obtained a degree in Engineering. Just like you can have the title "Engr" attached to your Name as a title after joining professional bodies like COREN and NSE, I would like to know of being a member of ImechE would also make you an engineer.

To the professionals on the house, please I need your advice. I am a student of Mechanical Engineering from FUTO. thanks a lot in advance.

Na them pay your school fees? So person papa train am finish for engineering school, he graduate at due course and then some mofos go say you still cant answer the title of wetin you burn night oil for?
Una get to fight that stupid heirachy jor. Dem dey use una chop.
Re: Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? by Chiscomax(m): 10:49am On Jun 27, 2015
[quote author=delishpot post=35202818]

Na them pay your school fees? So person

I am still a student... the engineers in shell,chevron etc should go ahead and fight angry
Re: Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? by delishpot: 10:51am On Jun 27, 2015
[quote author=Chiscomax post=35203278][/quote]

Yes, they should. That stupid rule makes no sense. You deserve to be called an Engineer if you study the course and you are knowledgeable in that field. Its your sweat and you must enjoy it.
Re: Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jun 27, 2015
No, ImechE alone can't give you that title. . You have to join society of Engineers, pay your dues, get some yrs of engineering experience, write some papers, join COREN, et al

ImechE is just an international professional body, joining them may give you the needed exposure..

1 Like

Re: Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? by davide470(m): 2:45pm On Jun 27, 2015
MarvellousGod:
No, ImechE alone can't give you that title. . You have to join society of Engineers, pay your dues, get some yrs of engineering experience, write some papers, join COREN, et al

ImechE is just an international professional body, joining them may give you the needed exposure..
I can see our husband is doing well.. wink
Re: Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jun 27, 2015
davide470:
I can see our husband is doing well.. wink
wink wink smiley
Re: Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? by Chiscomax(m): 4:24pm On Jun 27, 2015
MarvellousGod:

thank you very much. what field are u into?

1 Like

Re: Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jun 27, 2015
Chiscomax:

Good Question and I will break it down for you.

Titles are only as relevant as the countries that recognise them. If you are called an Engineer in Nigeria (maybe after registration with COREN) it does not mean anything outside the shores of this country. You have to prove yourself in order to be recognised. What projects have you completed? What papers have you written? What researches have you completed and how have you contributed to the advancement of Engineering?

For Nigeria, I believe registration with COREN will get you the recognition (that at least you can use the title and you have met some basic requirements to be called an Engineer).

Internationally, the story is different. Registration with The IET, IMechE, IChemE, ICE or any other engineering body is the first step. You will have to demonstrate competence and go through an interview before you are awarded the CEng (Chartered Engineer) title. That's in the UK. Europe, USA, Canada and Australia have their own equivalents.

If you go through the IET, you can become an International Engineer (meaning that your recognition as an engineer will cut across several countries - the big boys).

Below is a list of some of the 'big boy' countries as the professional bodies that will certify you as an Engineer.

The current listing of signatory countries and institutions are as follows:
Australia (The Institution of Engineers Australia);
Canada (The Canadian Council of Professional Engineers);
Ireland (The Institution of Engineers Ireland);
Hong Kong China (The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers);
Japan (The Institution of Professional Engineers, Japan);
Korea (The Korean Professional Engineers Association);
Malaysia (The Board of Engineers Malaysia);
New Zealand (The Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand);
South Africa (The Engineering Council of South Africa);
United Kingdom (Engineering Council);
United States (The US Council for International Engineering Practice).

Hope it helps.

Any more questions, give me a shout.

1 Like

Re: Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? by Chiscomax(m): 6:42pm On Jun 27, 2015
4Horsemen:

Good Question and I will break it down for you.

Titles are only as relevant as the countries that recognise them. If you are called an Engineer in Nigeria (maybe after registration with COREN) it does not mean anything outside the shores of this country. You have to prove yourself in order to be recognised. What projects have you completed? What papers have you written? What researches have you completed and how have you contributed to the advancement of Engineering?

For Nigeria, I believe registration with COREN will get you the recognition (that at least you can use the title and you have met some basic requirements to be called an Engineer).

Internationally, the story is different. Registration with The IET, IMechE, IChemE, ICE or any other engineering body is the first step. You will have to demonstrate competence and go through an interview before you are awarded the CEng (Chartered Engineer) title. That's in the UK. Europe, USA, Canada and Australia have their own equivalents.

If you go through the IET, you can become an International Engineer (meaning that your recognition as an engineer will cut across several countries - the big boys).

Below is a list of some of the 'big boy' countries as the professional bodies that will certify you as an Engineer.

The current listing of signatory countries and institutions are as follows:
Australia (The Institution of Engineers Australia);
Canada (The Canadian Council of Professional Engineers);
Ireland (The Institution of Engineers Ireland);
Hong Kong China (The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers);
Japan (The Institution of Professional Engineers, Japan);
Korea (The Korean Professional Engineers Association);
Malaysia (The Board of Engineers Malaysia);
New Zealand (The Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand);
South Africa (The Engineering Council of South Africa);
United Kingdom (Engineering Council);
United States (The US Council for International Engineering Practice).

Hope it helps.

Any more questions, give me a shout.

I am very glad about your response. thank you very much. it seems you are in the field already. please, what is chartered Engineering?

1 Like

Re: Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jun 27, 2015
Being a Chartered Engineer simply means that you have fulfilled the requirements to be referred to as an engineer. So people have that trust that they are dealing with a competent person.
Re: Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? by Chiscomax(m): 10:28pm On Jun 27, 2015
4Horsemen:
Being a Chartered Engineer simply means that you have fulfilled the requirements to be referred to as an engineer. So people have that trust that they are dealing with a competent person.

I love your knowledge and I would like to add you up on facebook. do you mind?
Re: Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? by Chiscomax(m): 10:34pm On Jun 27, 2015
this post is quite educative and beneficial to potential Mechanical Engineers/ Engineers in general. it would be profitable if it hits the front page so that fellow students like myself studying engineering can learn.

cc: lalasticlala

I know hitting the 'take to front page' botton is cost free. Thanks in advance
Re: Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? by Frankeruks: 12:06pm On Nov 01, 2016
I am a final year Mechanical Engineering student of FUPRE. I am an AFFILIATE Member of IMechE, UK. I am glad to see this post.
I joined IMechE because it is my desire to be an internationally recognized Engineer, where competency, problem solving ability, project management, human management, and technological innovation is really required to become a Chattered or Incorporated Engineer.
One thing is that, once you are a Member of international engineering bodies like IMechE, it becomes very easy to become a member of COREN or NSE, because you must have already fulfilled greater requirements at this stage. And you are thereby exposed to greater opportunities globally in the Engineering Profession.
you can read more about IMechE on their official website at www.imeche.org

(1) (Reply)

Acca Or Cfa: What Do You Advise? / Where To Get Acca Study Materials For Free / Youth Unemployment: A New Global Crisis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.