Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,853 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:44 PM

What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? (3355 Views)

Aleto Eleme Bridge On East West Road Collapses (Photos) / Chidoka Osita Commends Fashola For Fixing Road After He Complained / Ikorodu Road After Rain Last Night (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by Rawani: 7:28pm On Jun 28, 2015
East-West road gulped N726bn under Jonathan

The administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan voted N725.771 billion for the East-West Road project in the Niger Delta region, checks by Daily Trust have revealed.

The funds were approved between August 2011 and December 2014 at the weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC) meetings presided over by Jonathan who hails from the benefiting region. The project is yet to be completed despite the huge funds so far expended on it.
Our correspondent reports that the 338km dual carriage East-West Road, which traverses towns in Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Cross River and Delta States, was first awarded in 2006 for N211 billion by the administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo. Critics had queried the approval of funds, describing the multi-billion naira East-West Road as a conduit pipe for corruption. The Senate Committee on Niger Delta Affairs had also, on several occasions, sought clarifications on the award of the contract.

The East-West Road was initially divided into four sections, but Jonathan’s administration late last year added a fifth section to it, covering Oron to Calabar in Cross River State. The immediate past Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Stephen Oru, had stated at the ministerial briefing at the National Press Centre, Abuja on December 11, 2014 that “The Federal Executive Council had approved Section V of the East-West Road, covering Oron to Calabar in Cross River State; a distance of about 23.09 kilometres”. The ex-minister had also disclosed that the additional section of the East-West Road would be partly funded with a loan from the China Exim Bank.

On August 18, 2011, the FEC approved N245.9 billion as augmentation sum for Sections I, II-I and II-II of the East-West Road contracted to Messrs Setraco Nigeria Limited. The contract sum of Section I (Warri-Kaiama) in Delta State was revised from N64.1bn to N112.16bn; Section II-I (Port-Harcourt-Aoada-Kaiama) in Rivers State, from N29.9bn to N48.9bn and Section II-II (Aoada-Kaiama) in Rivers/Bayelsa States, from N44.8bn to N84.759bn. A sum of N671 million was on October 24, 2012 approved for the contract for consultancy services for the engineering design of the extension of the East-West Road (Section IV) from Oron in Akwa Ibom State to Calabar in Cross River State awarded to Messrs Siraj Nigeria Limited.In 2014 alone, a total sum of N479.2 billion was approved for the project. On October 22, a sum of N165.25bn was approved for the construction of Phase I, Section V of the road from Uyo/Oron Roundabout in Akwa Ibom State to Calabar-Odukpani Road in Calabar, Cross Rivers State, awarded to Messrs China Civil Engineering & Construction Company (CCECC).

The FEC also approved N269.383 billion as “revised estimated total cost 2” for the variation of engineering construction contracts for the dualisation of the East-West Road, Section I (Warri-Kaiama) in Delta State and Section II: Subsection II-I (Port Harcourt to Aoada) in Rivers State and Subsection II-II (Aoada-Kaiama) in Rivers/Bayelsa States awarded to Messrs Setraco Nigeria Limited. On November 12, 2014, a sum of N43.9 billion was approved for the upgrading of the 15km of the Section III of the road: Port Harcourt, from Eleme Junction to Onne Port Junction in Rivers State, awarded to Messrs Reynolds Construction Nigeria Limited. The Federal Executive Council, on December 3, 2014, approved N661.33 million for engineering supervision of the construction of Section V of the road (Oron-Calabar), Phase I in Akwa Ibom/Cross River States, awarded to Messrs Siraj Nigeria Limited. The former Minister of Niger Delta, Oru, had late last year disclosed that the East-West Road, initially scheduled for completion in December 2013, had to be shifted to the first quarter of 2015 because of inadequate funding. These sums give a total of N726bn.

“Due to paucity of funds and the short dry season prevalent in the region, the inauguration of sone of the completed sections has been shifted to the first quarter of 2015”, he had said. Barely two weeks to the end of Jonathan’s administration, Oru, while addressing State House journalists after the FEC meeting of May 13, 2015, had put the completion stage of the East-West Road at 90 percent. He had said: “You’re aware the East West Road is made up of four sections. Section one is from Warri to Kaiyema, Section II-I and II-II is from Kaiyema bridge to Port Harcourt, Section II is from Port Harcourt to the beginning of Akwa Ibom and from there to Oron. And the fifth section that was introduced is from Oron through Odukpani to Calabar. Most of the old sections from I-IV have virtually been completed. The second bridge at Patani will be completed with the next one week. Section I of that road, I can say is 99 percent completed. “I travelled on it recently and it took me less than one hour to get to Port Harcourt. Section II, there is a bridge problem in one area but order than that, about 90 percent of Section II is completed. Section III has a new section which was awarded last last year to RCC between zero zero to Onne port because of a lot of challenges which were not part of the east west road project when it was started, because that section was fully developed by the time the East-West Road projected started.

“It was already dualised but with the new project is going to be three lanes. The centre of the road because of the heavy axial trucks, the shoulders of the road is below the road. That was why a new contract was awarded around October last year. So, if you put everything together, we can say 90 percent of the road is completed apart from the new section from Oron through Odukpani to Calabar which is yet to be flagged off”.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/sunday/index.php/investigation/20950-east-west-road-gulped-n726bn-under-jonathan
Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jun 28, 2015
There is progress Mate.. Done with Delta, Working on Bayelsa and Rivers now, also there is work going on in Eket down to Rivers so they will connect...

1 Like

Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jun 28, 2015
Well cant say but few i saw were pretty cool
Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by Rawani: 7:30pm On Jun 28, 2015
The 338 kilometer dual carriage east-west road is a project initiated in 2006 to transverse major towns in the Niger Delta region. The project has faced hiccups over the years leading to delays in its completion. The reasons for this delay allegedly include, untimely release of funds and incessant demands by communities on whose lands the highway is expected to transverse.

So is this project complete after the huge funds that has been spent on it? I remember Reuben Abati posted fake pictures of the progress of its construction before he was busted.

1 Like

Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by adioolayi(m): 7:31pm On Jun 28, 2015
Why you dey find the money...It's inside polithiefians foreign banks
accounts na

Money awarded have been embezzled!

2 Likes

Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by theV0ice: 7:33pm On Jun 28, 2015
The road is almost finished save for 2 bridges and some small portion in bayelsa state

i pray they finish the rest but for now, driving on it has improved a lot

6 Likes

Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by CountDracula(m): 7:34pm On Jun 28, 2015
Well... You see... We are still working on it!
Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by Rawani: 7:35pm On Jun 28, 2015
Freemanan:
There is progress Mate.. Done with Delta, Working on Bayelsa and Rivers now, also there is work going on in Eket down to Rivers so they will connect...

That's great to know, its puzzling its taking this long considering the sum of N347 billion was the original budget for the project, and so far over N700 billion has been spent on it.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jun 28, 2015
Rawani:

That's great to know, its puzzling its taking this long considering the sum of N347 billion was the original budget for the project, and so far over N700 billion has been spent on it.
Setraco is a mess Mate...
They have embezzled half the money along with some government officials.
Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by Rawani: 7:41pm On Jun 28, 2015
Freemanan:

Setraco is a mess Mate...
They have embezzled half the money along with some government officials.

They should be probed and the shortfall squeezed out of them. It's ridiculous, over 100% above budget.

1 Like

Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jun 28, 2015
Rawani:

They should be probed and the shortfall squeezed out of them. It's ridiculous, over 100% above budget.
Tony Anenih owns Setraco...
So do the maths.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by Rawani: 7:55pm On Jun 28, 2015
Freemanan:

So do the maths.

Of course you wouldn't hear TANoids call their godfather to account. This is one of the reasons we will continue to under-develop ourselves.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jun 28, 2015
Rawani:

Of course you wouldn't hear TANoids call their godfather to account. This is one of the reasons we will continue to under-develop ourselves.
What a shame

1 Like

Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by obailala(m): 8:05pm On Jun 28, 2015
After almost 10 years, the most important niger-deltan road could not be completed even by a niger -deltan president even after the contract sum was reviewed by almost 100% over the years.

I have no comments on this one because if I talk they would turn this one to politics too.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by MaziOmenuko: 8:19pm On Jun 28, 2015
Freemanan:

So do the maths.

That explains a lot. Adjustments of over 100% increase after award of contract makes you wonder if they actually do a feasibility studies before commencing on contract execution. There's always allowance for error within ±12% but when it is 100%, then a lot of water has passed under the bridge.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jun 28, 2015
MaziOmenuko:

That explains a lot. Adjustments of over 100% increase after award of contract makes you wonder if they actually do a feasibility studies before commencing on contract execution. There's always allowance for error within ±12% but when it is 100%, then a lot of water has passed under the bridge.
GBAM
Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by hansyllo(m): 8:25pm On Jun 28, 2015
Section II is from Port Harcourt to the beginning of Akwa Ibom and from there to Oron.

Eket-Oron Road isn't dualised.Gitto only scratched some part and overlay with Alsphate

2 Likes

Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by hansyllo(m): 8:27pm On Jun 28, 2015
Section II is from Port Harcourt to the beginning of Akwa Ibom and from there to Oron.

Eket-Oron Road isn't dualised.Gitto only scratched some part and overlay with Alsphate
Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by omenka(m): 8:31pm On Jun 28, 2015
theV0ice:
The road is almost finished save for 2 bridges and some small portion in bayelsa state

Wow. Good to know.
Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jun 28, 2015
You will wonder how roads, power plants, refineries were built in the 70s/80s, these things seem like rocket science for us in the 21st century

7 Likes

Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by theV0ice: 8:37pm On Jun 28, 2015
omenka:
Wow. Good to know.

I tell you bro. drove all the way from ph to lag through that road some weeks ago and it was a pleasurable ride save for some parts of bayelsa and mbiama.

How you doing? wink
Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by patrickmuf(m): 9:06pm On Jun 28, 2015
GEJ failed us big time...Any politician that's serious about leaving behind a legacy would do justice to projects of this sorts, i think some people call it signature projects...
Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by oduastates: 9:56pm On Jun 28, 2015
The western part of the road is a death trap . The contractors have stopped working . No money since Jonathan tanked the economy. The money voted for the road by Jonathan have grown wings since it was voted.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by mrvitalis(m): 10:02pm On Jun 28, 2015
I billion per kilometre when an average Road cost is blow 200 million per kilometre
Jonathan must be probed that's a must jo

4 Likes

Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by omenka(m): 10:39pm On Jun 28, 2015
theV0ice:

I tell you bro. drove all the way from ph to lag through that road some weeks ago and it was a pleasurable ride save for some parts of bayelsa and mbiama.

How you doing? wink
I'm okay oo. Doing the little we can over here to make our dear country a better place. A little bit of goodnews here and there is what motivate and keep us going.

Hope you going well..
Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by ionsman: 10:44pm On Jun 28, 2015
Freemanan:

So do the maths.
Tony anenih doesn't own setraco. Late Inu umoru does.
Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by ionsman: 10:48pm On Jun 28, 2015
theV0ice:

I guess its not the same east west road I ply almost every two months.
I am plying that road next weekend. By then I shall confirm this your big big talk.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by theV0ice: 10:55pm On Jun 28, 2015
ionsman:

I guess its not the same east west road I ply almost every two months.
I am plying that road next weekend. By then I shall confirm this your big big talk.

My friend, sheath your sword. we are not in a competition neither am i a GEJ apologist.

I told my own experience on the road. You're free to go experience yours
Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by theV0ice: 10:56pm On Jun 28, 2015
omenka:
I'm okay oo. Doing the little we can over here to make our dear country a better place. A little bit of goodnews here and there is what motivate and keep us going.

Hope you going well..

I feel you bro wink

1 Like

Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by ionsman: 10:59pm On Jun 28, 2015
theV0ice:

My friend, sheath your sword. we are not in a competition neither am i a GEJ apologist.

I told my own experience on the road. You're free to go experience yours
I never said you were a Gej apologist, did I?

Why must your thoughts revolve around politics? Na wa o
Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by atlwireles: 10:59pm On Jun 28, 2015
APC pretenders will never stop cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy N726B, you people are brain dead.
Re: What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? by rozayx5(m): 11:01pm On Jun 28, 2015
eleme to eket is ok cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Solution To The Biafra Issue / Even Though Wike Happen To Pull This Through You Will Agree With Us He Saw 99.9 / Why I Didn’t Hand Over To Osinbajo When Travelling In April —buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.