Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,473 members, 7,843,449 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 05:12 AM

8 Easy Steps To Overcome Anxiety - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 8 Easy Steps To Overcome Anxiety (505 Views)

How To Overcome Anxiety Disorder / 8 Easy Steps To More Miracle Bust Sales / 8 Easy Steps To Overcome Anxiety (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

8 Easy Steps To Overcome Anxiety by Lazymanhead(m): 7:41am On Jun 29, 2015
“Some people’s write up are just freaking orgasmic, they are very stimulating too. When you read them, after just going half way, you won’t have a choice than begging yourself to take actions.”

The above was exactly what I wrote in my diary. I was reading a book, then all of sudden I felt blood rushing from my veins, pumping straight and going all the way into my head. At least, that was how I felt. I could feel it; it was as ticklish as it was painful.

I have had experiences like these many times before now, either while working on a project or reading a book.

But I had also mistaken it for a good sign, sign of inspiration or the competence of this writer. They are good, I always thought.

At first, when I started having these experiences, it used to be the propeller to work. I’d leave the reading I was doing and dive in straight to my work mode.

But what I failed to realize was that, anytime this feeling came, I was always unable to do anything. The next thing I find myself doing is constantly shaking and abandoning whatever I was doing.

I did some researches on google as well as talking to people. I was eventually asked to see a health practitioner.

What I saw was alarming!

I was actually suffering from adrenaline surge.

Here is what I found out about adrenaline surge during my research: It’s the evolution of your fight/flight response designed specifically to warn you that there is a danger present and prepare you to react to it.

Being anxious isn’t good for anyone. It prevents you from being productive. No one, I repeat, no one, no matter what profession, will perform optimally, under anxiety. We all need to be clear headed to perform at our best.

If this sounds like what you are familiar with, and you have mistaken it for a sign of energy and being ready, well I am here to tell you that it is bad.

If you disagree, think again, when was the last time you were productive under a state like this. It is called nervousness, anxiety and every bad thing you could imagine.

The bottom line is, you need to find how to make sure it doesn’t happen again or more often.

It didn’t stop for me overnight. But it eventually stopped.

The following are what I did wrongly, and then stopped, you should stop doing them too, if they look like your story:

1. High Expectation: James Altucher once said, “If you have no expectations, it’s amazing how you get to exceed those expectations.” anxiety is what you get when you place so much expectation on yourself or a project. So, expect less.

2. Fear of failure: you need to identify the fear of failure. Better still; learn how to be comfortable with whatever the outcome of a project, book or whatever it might be. Be aware you might fail or succeed. This would place less stretch on you.

3. Result or gain of a project: of course, we all expect something from work or whatever that task we embark on. But when our eyes are fixed on gains or profit we tend to make from work, it also accompanies with it the fear of not making those gains.

Here is an anecdote, anytime I place a bet on a match, my eyes and mind is not only always on the profit I’m set to make, I’m also scared of losing. When I do, I am cold, hot and everything.

4. Working in an unconcomfortable environment: look here, I know the whole story about stepping out of your comfort zone and embracing what makes you uncomfortable. If you are not ready for it, avoid it altogether. What’s the point of being in an uncomfortable environment if it’s going to make you less productive?

5. Avoid setting an unrealistic deadline: there are lots of self help books and blogs out there, with the aim to help you get more out of your day. They tell you to set an unreasonable deadline, so that you can keep pushing yourself, even when your body says no.

Deadlines are good if they are reasonable and realistic. Again, what’s the point if all it does is make you a wire of nerve and anxiety? Even if you eventually achieve your target, what about your health?

6. Reduce your caffeine and alcohol intake: am equally guilty of this, in order to keep my brain charged and stop me from sleeping while working, my desk is always with a cup of coffee. As one finishes, I am making another one. Caffeine is a great stimulant no doubt, but it pumps your adrenaline and it doesn’t help during the time of stress.

The following are what I started doing and I hope you do them too:

1. Recognition: the first step to solving any problem is being aware and able to identify what it is exactly. Like me, I thought it to be a sign of productivity. You know, the pumping of adrenaline and charges.

At first, it led me to work, until I was longer able to do the work itself. Then I knew I needed help.

2. Practice meditation: I am not expert at it yet. No one really, is an expert. But I know the following about it, for those reasons, you should consider it:

Deep breathing- in and out
Mental and body calmness
Awareness of self
Increased emotional stability
You might consider reading more about it online.

3. Take a break from work: take a break from work or leaving it altogether can be helpful so sometimes. You might decide to leave everything and come back the next day.

4. Write in your diary: when Im experiencing anxiety either while working on my desk or anywhere, I simply bring out my journal pad to write the experience. I did this for long; even before I found out I was having an adrenaline surge. Writing can be therapeutic and relaxant. Of course, it has turned to this article.

5. Do something non relating to the work you are doing: if you experience this at your desk, try changing your work environment. You might try rearranging your office. Make it seem less like of a working environment. A working environment gives you that constant reminder that you should be working.

6. Exercise regularly: If you feel your adrenaline levels rising, go get some exercise. Putting the adrenaline you feel to good use by going on a run can keep you from experiencing overwhelming feelings of stress. Try to exercise for 30 minutes at least three to five times a week

7. Sleep, sleep and sleep: many people brag about their ability to sleep less. To them, it’s a sign, they are productive, but to be real here, they not. I sleep for nothing less than 8 hours straight and I am super productive. No one perform well except those with bipolar diseases and I doubt you are one. So, sleep, sleep, and sleep.

8. Single task: our society is productivity obsessed. You see everyone write on their CV, “ability to multi-task and work under pressure”. The truth is, no one really works or perform well under pressure.

So take out those other jobs and the do the more pressing ones. Tell yourself you won’t go to the other less pressing ones until you are done with the one at hand.

http://tolabenadem.com/index.php/2015/06/29/8-easy-steps-to-overcome-anxiety/

(1) (Reply)

Fake Drugs In Circulation, Beware!! (pic) / Fertility; What Age Should You Start Trying For Babies / Diet234 Founder's Interview At TVC Africa On Health Matters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.