Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,608 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. (45922 Views)

National Assembly Moves To Invoke The Constitution Over Buhari's Health / What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform / What The Nigerian Constitution Says About Deploying Troops To Foreign Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by frisky2good(m): 12:21pm On Jun 29, 2015
Although I have not been able to confirm if the passport being circulated online by that website that is now practically synonymous with blackmail is genuine, I will base my argument on the assumption that "IF IT HAPPENS TO BE TRUE". My reason is simple: If it is found to be false, No case. It is only if the passport is confirmed to be genuine that we need to waste time deliberating on what the constitution says about the matter.

Now, what makes an individual a bonafide citizen of this country?
According to the constitution (section 25),

25. (1) The following persons are citizens of Nigeria by birth-namely-

(a) every person born in Nigeria before the date of independence, either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents belongs or belonged to a community indigenous to Nigeria;

Provided that a person shall not become a citizen of Nigeria by virtue of this section if neither of his parents nor any of his grandparents was born in Nigeria.

(b) every person born in Nigeria after the date of independence either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria; and

(c) every person born outside Nigeria either of whose parents is a citizen of Nigeria.

There are other criteria but let me stop here. Now, I do not know where Bukky was born but I know his parents were born here in Nigeria so he's a Nigerian ...........right?

Ok, let's continue.

What makes a man with a British passport become a Non-Nigerian? The constitution has the answer.

28. (1) Subject to the other provisions of this section, a person shall forfeit forthwith his Nigerian citizenship if, not being a citizen of Nigeria by birth, he acquires or retains the citizenship or nationality of a country, other than Nigeria, of which he is not a citizen by birth.

Please read this sentence very well because in this case if Bukky was either born in Nigeria or Uk, this section does not nullify his Nigerian citizenship.

Having established that Mr. Saraki is a bonafide Nigerian citizen, let's go to chapter IV (NATIONAL ASSEMBLY)

Qualifications for Membership of National Assembly and Right of Attendance

(1) Subject to the provisions of section 66 of this Constitution, a person shall be qualified for election as a member of:

(a) the Senate, if he is a citizen of Nigeria and has attained the age of 35 years

And what (concerning citizenship) disqualifies an individual?

(1) No person shall be qualified for election to the Senate or the House of Representatives if:

(a) subject to the provisions of section 28 of this Constitution, he has voluntarily acquired the citizenship of a country other than Nigeria or, except in such cases as may be prescribed by the National Assembly, has made a declaration of allegiance to such a country;

Since we have established that Saraki is a Nigerian citizen by virtue of his satisfying the provisions of section 28 of the constitution of the Federal republic of Nigeria, I conclude based on the facts available that Saraki is qualified for the position of Senate president.

102 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by madridguy(m): 12:23pm On Jun 29, 2015
APC should allow peace to reign for the betterment of common man.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by tswitch: 12:31pm On Jun 29, 2015
Tinubu sponsored campaign!
*hisses and walks out of thread*

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by aare07(m): 12:38pm On Jun 29, 2015
Saraki is a guru when it comes to political calculus, while Tinubu is a guru when it comes arithmetic.
Therefore, 51 Tinubus( That is, APC senators) is equal to 1 Saraki( Senate President).

Abubakar Bukola Saraki, keep standing on the Political rock of gilbrater .

86 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by tinuolababy(f): 1:14pm On Jun 29, 2015
People should please leave Tinubu alone.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by Ephemmm: 1:50pm On Jun 29, 2015
tswitch:

Even when it is glaring that the writer vindicates Saraki, Tinubu is still the one chasing you until you finally ended up in Otuoke! This is surprising....

See lazy brain inside the skull of lazy being tongue tongue tongue

61 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jun 29, 2015
tswitch:

read beforr u comment...I know it's long, just try

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by Ama80(f): 2:17pm On Jun 29, 2015
Whn you think it's over,something else pops up.nig politics is as mysterious n confusing as God's creation.i giv up.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jun 29, 2015
Abubakar Saraki is going down as Senate President with this heavy breeze from National politics of APC. grin

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by koladebrainiac(m): 2:36pm On Jun 29, 2015
let me read before it makes front page
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jun 29, 2015
It's an APC affair grin

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by Koolmexxi(m): 3:54pm On Jun 29, 2015
See grown men (don't really know about the "grown" ) hurling insults over an issue dat has nothing to do with either of them.... These politicians are simply after their interests and so long as it is/isn't protected, they make u believe what they want..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jun 29, 2015
Please who has seen Buhari's certificate?

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by haywire1: 3:56pm On Jun 29, 2015
Okk

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jun 29, 2015
We all know Sahara reporters are just being petty. Going after saraki cos their pay master said so. Even if they were right, why bring it up nw? I mean this man has been a governor and held several other government offices...

well,it's hausa Vs yoruba this tym around, lets see how it goes

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by deebsman1(m): 3:58pm On Jun 29, 2015
bull crap, he's a Nigerian #stillteamTinubusupporter
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by ademoladeji(m): 3:59pm On Jun 29, 2015
Where the passport dey nau?

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by sKeetz(m): 3:59pm On Jun 29, 2015
I know this things are truth but do you know the basic things are not what you say but God is able and he can do many things for us and I will advise that you make a plan not to do whatever in life but dont judge my brother cause God sees everything. He has not lived if he has not been here for a while but I think y'all should just chill and appreciate the fact that I did not do as I had planned. I truly believe that God Himself brought you down from the glorious heavens above to be forever my angel. I dont like this that happen. I will make sure I appoint myself the governor before I become the president. What God has joined together, let no man put asunder in earth or even in hell. So help me God!!
Re: Saraki's Citizenship Saga: What The Constitution Says. by iykedare(m): 3:59pm On Jun 29, 2015
We didn't vote for all these wahala.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bashir El-Rufaiā€¸ Reacts To Obasanjo's Letter To Buhari; Insults Reno Omokri / Catriona Laing Joins the BeLikeNgoziChallenge / APC Governor Caught On Video Receiving $5m Bribes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.