Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,797 members, 7,827,943 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

Former Agric Minister: His Fertilizer Scam And Farmer's Phone Deal'' By Bamidele - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Former Agric Minister: His Fertilizer Scam And Farmer's Phone Deal'' By Bamidele (1025 Views)

The Vestiges Of Kaduna Mafia Must Not Kill Aisha Buhari - Bamidele Ademola / Fayose Prostrates To Greet Bamidele Olumilua As He Visits Him At Home(pix / Fayose Kneels Before Bamidele Olumilua, A Former Ondo State Governor (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Former Agric Minister: His Fertilizer Scam And Farmer's Phone Deal'' By Bamidele by Francis5: 8:32pm On Jul 01, 2015
Agric Minister: His fertilizer scam and farmer's phone deal by Bamidele Ademola-Olateju

My farming story was hatched in the United States. With the help of Dr. Henry Fadamiro of Auburn University, a man I barely knew, I was connected to a breed of Nigerian academics I had long considered extinct. These young Turks: Dr. Innocent Okuku at Notore, Dr. Joe Anikwe formerly of CRIN now at UNILAG gave me all the support I needed. Joe did all the foot work and research for me. He used his extensive network of field men to give me - a beginner farmer facing 200 acres of near virgin land on the Ogun State Agric corridor the contacts I needed.

Ogun state AgroServices in 2011 my first farming season, did a spectacular job. I leased a bulldozer from their preferred provider through them. These field men are just "ordinary" rockers whose wealth of experience came handy. My topsoil was undisturbed. These men; Mr. Lawal, Mr. Odunjo, Mr. Saanu, Mr. Olatoye did a good job assisting me find my footing.

The first scandalous thing I noticed is about 24 new tractors from a certain grant given to Ogun state rotting away under the vagaries of weather elements. The tractors were not distributed to farmers nor were they taken advantage of by the state AgroServices. Worst, AgroServices had only 3 tractors servicing the entire state. One in Abeokuta, one in Ilaro and another one at Ota, with the Ota one the best of the three. I lost count the number of times their tractor has broken down in my farm during ploughing, harrowing or whenever we use the boom sprayer.

Fertilizers. In 2011' all I had to was apply to the state through AgroServices. I was able to buy enough Urea, Superphosphate and NPK without paying anyone a bribe. Ogun state had enough and the outgoing administration of Gbenga Daniel made a lot of "business" selling to our Northern business " farmers".

2012, Dr. Joe came to me one day telling me about the new fertilizer regime of vouchers designed to eliminate "business farmers" and middle men. He extolled Dr. Adesina and we reasoned if it worked, fertilizers will be cheaper and more accessible to us. A week after, we went to AgroServices for enquiries on the new fertilizer regime. First of all we were told to apply on letter heads. How many farmers do you know who can boast knowing what a letter head is? My farm being a LLC applied and we heard nothing till date. No farmer I know was able to get a single fertilizer bag all through 2012. In 2011, I was bitter I could not get Muriate of potash in Nigeria. In 2012, I was lucky I got cow dung and poultry droppings. I would have been toast!

I know the number of grants I would have had access to had I established my farm in the United States. Each time I run into problems with diseases, I send photographs to researchers and horticulturists in the United States. I became an iPad enabled farmer. Sometimes I stay glued to a certain spot on my farm where there is "network" to send pictures and notes and await reply. These researchers respond immediately and their services are free. With pests, Joe comes handy. Gboyega Atayero always at hand to visit and lend his experience.

In 2011, I did not need the help of Dr. Okuku from Notore. I need him now than ever, if I want to farm again. Dr. Adesina has managed to achieve spectacular failure more than any Agric minister in Nigerian history. He ranks high up there with Diezani as superintendent of looters and fundraiser in chief of the P.D.P. What is the Federal Ministry of Agric responsible for when there are state equivalents? It has become a bureaucratic racket designed to access federal gravy for the "senior choppers". I feel a lot of shame, when celebrated academics fail woefully in their expertise on appointment to high office where they are expected to transform and create a vision for years to come.

Do you wonder why we are where we are? Our leaders are cannibals. They actively conspire to throw monkey wrench into creative initiatives of non-stealing hard working Nigerians. I have wondered if I would have been alive today had I taken a loan to finance my dream. Now I know what the banks know and why they won't lend you a dime for a startup. They know an entrepreneur in Nigeria has 99% failure rate. The only surprise for me in this farmers phone deal is that Dr. Adesina despite his bonafides achieved the simultaneous distinction of being a village fool and a stupid cheat. Sad!

https://www.facebook.com/bamidele.ademolaolateju/posts/10151184582040810?pnref=story

1 Like

Re: Former Agric Minister: His Fertilizer Scam And Farmer's Phone Deal'' By Bamidele by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jul 01, 2015
tot they said this man was the best in GeJ cabinet?
Re: Former Agric Minister: His Fertilizer Scam And Farmer's Phone Deal'' By Bamidele by Emekamex(m): 8:34pm On Jul 01, 2015
IMO the former agric minister tried his best
Re: Former Agric Minister: His Fertilizer Scam And Farmer's Phone Deal'' By Bamidele by jimohibrahim(m): 8:34pm On Jul 01, 2015
I thought as much
Re: Former Agric Minister: His Fertilizer Scam And Farmer's Phone Deal'' By Bamidele by ganye1: 8:48pm On Jul 01, 2015
Adesina with his e-wallet and phones for farmers is one of the big scams of Jonathan's administration. I have seen farmers who got allocations of two bags per farmer but I have never seen any farmer who has gotten his multi-billion naira phones.

1 Like

Re: Former Agric Minister: His Fertilizer Scam And Farmer's Phone Deal'' By Bamidele by oduastates: 9:08pm On Jul 01, 2015
Neyoor:
tot they said this man was the best in GeJ cabinet?
Another one of the Harvard types who come to bamboozled the village fools in Nigeria.
The guy was a spectacular failure regardless of how they want to sugarcoat his record .
All he did was shuffle money to big billionaire farmers . Farming is their own way of collecting rents . The smallholders saw nothing and have never seen anything .
I do not celebrate mediocrity regardless of whether he is a fellow Yoruba or not.
I celebrate vision and people taking the initiative.
Olateru is right . Apart from the few research centres like the vertinary institute in VOM,IITA ,what exactly is the job of the federal government in replicating the job of the states.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Borno Governor Refers To BH Casualties As "Only" Seven - Channels / As Ondo Rolls Out Kaadi Igbe Ayo, Smartcard For Digitalised Service Delivery / BREAKING: S/east Grinds To Halt As Prisoner Transfer Saga Rages On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.