Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,991 members, 7,821,454 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Estako Names And Meanings - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Estako Names And Meanings (64317 Views)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Estako Names And Meanings by Ekumeke: 1:41am On Apr 03, 2013
I am from Ivianokpodi(Weppa Wanno) and here are some names from there:

Oshiogbvugie- God make a way
Osilelume-God does well for me
Osioregbeme-God makes me happy
Osilama-It is God I asked
Oshiokayame-God is good to me
Iyesomi-Mother is good
Oshosomi-God is good
Oteoghena-Beauty of God
Eboshogwe-The way God said it should be(God's will)
Emoshogwe-What God said(God's word)
Azobeda-You do not talk ill of the water
Oshokeyame-God gave me
Amanosi/Amanoghena-You do not measure for God
Aselionomo-The name of the one that has
Imotseme-I have my own
Oshonobo-God is greater than native doctor
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by temidbabe: 9:14pm On Sep 25, 2013
Please can this be revived, it seems that there is inconsistency around ibie language, as i asked 5 people for the meaning of one name and got 5 different responses. Even on this nairaland. Is it possible to come together and compile a proper list of okpekpe names and meaning for members in the diaspora. let this language not become extinct. please great daughters and sons of okpekpe, come and raise your hand and let your voice be heard.
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by Michael158: 5:31pm On Oct 01, 2013
[quote
author=temidbabe]Please can this be revived, it seems that there is
inconsistency around ibie language, as i asked 5 people for the meaning
of one name and got 5 different responses. Even on this nairaland. Is it
possible to come together and compile a proper list of okpekpe names
and meaning for members in the diaspora. let this language not become
extinct. please great daughters and sons of okpekpe, come and raise your
hand and let your voice be heard.[/quote] any body from IMIEGBA? we got some lovely names too...ADOGA-BOY/MAN OMOSI-GIRL/WOMAN
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by temidbabe: 6:53pm On Oct 09, 2013
hello michaael158, do you speak north ibie?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Estako Names And Meanings by Lexmannuel: 1:04pm On Aug 22, 2014
Pls can somebody tell me the meaning of OMAGE? ....in english
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by Lexmannuel: 1:26pm On Aug 22, 2014
Pls can somebody tell me the meaning of ''Omage''?
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by Lexmannuel: 8:38pm On Aug 22, 2014
Pls what is the meaning of Omage?
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by macof(m): 1:35pm On Aug 28, 2014
So "Osi" means God

How exactly is that pronounced??
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jan 11, 2015
Hi there, I appreciate the names above. Very helpful, do you know the meaning of "God is my strength or my strength is God" in Etsako east (agenebode). A female name to be precise. Many thanks.
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by Redoil: 3:12pm On Jan 13, 2015
abuja4real:
Afenmai or Afemai is an ethnic language of the group of people living in the northern part of Edo State south geopolitical zone of Nigeria.

Afenmai or Afemai people occupy six local government areas of Edo state: Etsakor-East, with headquarters in Agenebode, Etsako central and West, and Owan east & West including Akoko-Edo. These make up the Edo-North Senatorial District.[citation needed]

Afemai is an ethnic group is subdivided into different dialects, but people of this ethnicity generally speak and understand each other.[citation needed]

[edit] History
Afemai is made of several kingdoms and clans (large villages/townships ruled traditionally by monarchs) and many of them seem to have their own oral versions of the origin of Afemai as well as its own starting point in history. Historical accounts claimed that they migrated from Benin, during the tyrannical rule of Oba Ewuare, who was the greatest warrior legend and the most outstanding king in the history of Benin Empire.[citation needed] “The title Ewuare (Oworuare), meaning it is cool or the trouble has ceased” and as a result the war is over.[citation needed] The title symbolizes an epoch of reconciliation, reconstruction and the return of peace among the warring factions in Benin between 1435-1440 AD.

It was shortly after this critical period of war that Akalaka and his two sons Ekpeye and Ogba migrated further southeast to first settle at Ula-Ubie, and subsequently other groups moved out of Benin City and migrated northward.[citation needed] However, has recently become clear that there were people living in Afemailand, prior to the migration from Benin City.

Some of the most celebrated sons/daughters of Afemailand, both in the past and present, are the late Pa Michael Imoudu from Sabogida-Ora, who was a foremost labour leader and founder of the Nigeria state, the late Chief Julius Momo Udochi from Fugar the first Nigerian Ambassador to the United States and first Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice to the then Mid-Western state, the late Gen. George Agbazika Innih from Agenebode, who was one time the Military Governor of Bendel and Kwara States, Adams Oshiomhole, the past president of the [[Nigeria Labour Congress] and now Executive Gorvenor of Edo State], Pa Johnson Jimoh Iyere, Raymond Aleogho Dokpesi,(chairman/ceo Africa Independent Television), film director Bankole Bello, Chief Inu Umoru, chairman/CEO, Setraco Ltd, Vice Admiral Mike Akhigbe who attained the position of de facto vice-president in the regime of Gen. Abdulsalam Abubakar|Gen. Abdulsalam Abubakar.[citation needed]

[edit] Governance
The Afemais do not have a central traditional ruler, but some of the prominent traditional institutions and rulers in Afemai land are the Okumagbe of Weppa Wanno (Agenebode), Ogieneni of Uzairue (Jattu), Otaru of Auchi, Oba of Agbede, Otaru of Igarra, Oliola of Anegbette, etc. Afemai have produced many illustrious personalities in both national and international levels.[citation needed]

Tourist attractions, which span the expanse of Afemai, are exemplified by the Ise Lake in Agenebode (Weppa Wanno clan) Etsakor East and the Somorika hills in Akoko Edo.[citation needed] Somorika hills consist of an extended expanse of hills crowned by massive boulders perched precariously on the summits of hills and alongside seemingly inadequate locations on the sides.

Some of the most important towns/clans in Afemai land are Agenebode(Weppa-Wanno), Weppa, Emokweme, Auchi, Afuze, Iviukwe, Agbede, sabongidda-Ora, Igarra, Ekperi, Jattu, Fugar, Aviele, Okpella, Iviukhua, Ososo, Uzanu, Uzebba, Iviukhua, Weppa, Okpella, Somorika etc.[citation needed]

The autonomous clans/kingdoms in Afemai land are currently administratively arranged as follows under the current six local government areas:

Etsako East LGA, Agenebode:
Agenebode, Emokweme, Ekwothor,Iviukhua, Okpella, Okpekpe, Iviukhua, Ibie, Weppa, Uzanu
Etsako Central LGA, Fugar:
Fugar, Ekperi, Ogbona, Anegbette, Udochi
Estako West LGA, Auchi:
Auchi, Agbede,Jattu, Afashio, Aviele
Owan East LGA, Afuze
Afuze, Ihevbe
Owan West LGA, Sabogidda Ora:
Sabongidda Ora,Luleha Clan
Akoko Edo LGA, Igarra
Igarra, Ososo, Somorika,
97% correct. Remove sabongida ora from the list
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by macof(m): 7:01pm On Jan 16, 2015
Igarra has a lot of afemai presence but they aren't native to the land
It's Akoko
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by braimohsule(m): 2:28pm On Feb 20, 2015
Am about to have a baby boy in april....i would like to give him a good Edo and powerful name; esp one that starts with Osi, He is my first child and son....I would appreciate inputs pls. thanks.
Oshoke, lekki , Lagos
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by maximsjoe(m): 12:22am On Jun 07, 2015
Lexmannuel:
Pls can somebody tell me the meaning of ''Omage''?
it is ONAGE meaning GOOD
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by Flome(f): 11:40am On Aug 26, 2015
Omage=good child
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by Nobody: 1:23pm On Dec 20, 2015
Please what's God's gift in etsako
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by Spybradd: 11:21am On Jan 19, 2016
Am benin,lived @ auchi some years back as a kid..where the hell is bob,clement,dickson,aminu,kelly,bee,sametu,oda,yakubu,akeemu,muniru,.....all kids @akpekpe pry sch....

Damm,this is a 2009 thread!
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by shayoademola: 3:39pm On Feb 14, 2016
Pls can any one help me with akoko edo igarra names with meaning.... Gracias
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by Nobody: 11:02pm On Mar 23, 2016
Please what does Ouchiwa mean?
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by GboGboAye: 10:45pm On Dec 09, 2016
Kwaraking:
Please what does Ouchiwa mean?

Ochuwa: Somebody that brings wealth
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by Fancier(f): 11:50am On Jan 27, 2017
shayoademola:
Pls can any one help me with akoko edo igarra names with meaning.... Gracias

I just read somewhere in Afemai site that Grace is "Ofe" it amazes me because in Yoruba OreOFE too means Grace....
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by hurrycayne: 7:27pm On Mar 01, 2017
Michael158:
any body from IMIEGBA? we got some lovely names too...ADOGA-BOY/MAN OMOSI-GIRL/WOMAN
Imiegba mi kia

1 Like

Re: Estako Names And Meanings by johnson232: 11:12pm On Apr 12, 2017
Pls anyone from agenebode? i want to enquire certain info about the town...
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by jiji2017: 4:47am On Sep 06, 2017
Please my husband is from Agbede and we are looking for baby names for both boys and girls.

Please can someone give me suggestions ms of nice non-Arabic names from Agbede specifically?

Or help me translate

- Gods loving arms around me .. I know this is ozimede but my father in law says that is not an Agbede name.. pls what is the Agbede version

- Gods chosen one
- Gods promise
- given by God
- Gods annointed
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by Oscarranks: 11:22am On Apr 11, 2019
abuja4real:
osemobo =?

Please who knows the meaning of the name *"OMOAGHILE"*
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 03, 2019
Linguistically speaking, you lot are a lost generation.

If this many of you don't speak enough of the language to even understand your given names then you need to give up on the language already, because it's on its last legs tongue
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by 198800Mam(m): 7:20pm On Nov 26, 2020
LAMOSI ILAMOSI MEANS?
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by dee92(f): 7:59am On Oct 31, 2022
Please what does Olumeluegboi mean in etsako dialect?
Re: Estako Names And Meanings by LegallyBlunt: 10:43am On Aug 01, 2023
Ahem

(1) (2) (Reply)

Make-Up Free Photo Of Ola Adeyemi, Alaafin Of Oyo's Wife, Shows Her Tribal Marks / Photos Of The Women Who Have Left Ooni Of Ife / Oba Adejuyigbe Adefunmi With 7 Wives Spotted Chilling In The US. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.