Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,462 members, 7,843,410 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 03:19 AM

Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders (1134 Views)

Governor Willie Obiano Tells Buhari – Return Anambra N43bn Now Or… / Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos / Alcohol Consumers In Akwa-Ibom To Pay Taxes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by Nobody: 6:15am On Jul 02, 2015
The Anambra State Governor, Willie Obiano, has asked traders in the state to be ready to pay taxes and levies for the development of the state.

Obiano said this while inaugurating the Traders’ House built by the Amalgamated Market Traders Association of Anambra State on Wednesday in Onitsha, the Anambra State capital.

Obiano, who was represented by his deputy, Dr. Nkem Okeke, noted that taxes were needed by the state government to meet various social and infrastructural obligations it owes the citizenry.

“The government had performed excellently well in security, construction and re-construction of roads as well as environmental cleanliness, which all of you can attest to.

“But we cannot do all these and sustain them without your cooperation through paying your taxes and levies; since traders make up 75 per cent of the population of the state.

“Again, it is clear to everyone in the country that allocation from the Federation Account is dwindling and we need to shore up our Internal Revenue Generation through streamlining our taxes and levies generation,’’ he said.

The governor also urged the traders to help in keeping the state, especially Onitsha clean.

He, however, debunked the rumour that commercial motorcycle operators were banned in the state, adding that the government only stopped them from plying some major roads that could pose danger to them and their passengers.

Earlier, the Commissioner for Industries, Trade and Commerce, Mr. Ifeatu Onejeme, had said that the new secretariat of traders would serve as a unifying factor that would bring peace and progress to traders in the state.

Onejeme noted that the government was putting electricity in most markets, adding that very soon the state would have markets that operate 24 hours daily.

In his address, the President-General of AMATAS, Chief Okwudili Ezenwankwo, said that the completion of the Traders’ House in record time portrayed the leadership of traders as visionary and purposeful.

Ezenwankwo, who thanked the government for its financial support, also lauded the contribution of Chief Poly Emenike, who donated N8m for the completion of the complex.

http://www.punchng.com/news/be-ready-to-pay-taxes-obiano-tells-traders/
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by MKO4ever(m): 6:16am On Jul 02, 2015
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by mistabiola: 6:16am On Jul 02, 2015
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by timilehing(m): 6:16am On Jul 02, 2015
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by ifeanyija(m): 6:17am On Jul 02, 2015
Pay ur tax
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by timilehing(m): 6:18am On Jul 02, 2015
Dem no wan pay b4?

Those guys above me sha angry
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by Nobody: 6:18am On Jul 02, 2015
Honestly it's about time.

Onitsha traders should suck it up and be responsible citizens.

2 Likes

Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by Nobody: 6:19am On Jul 02, 2015
Only 10percent of our people pay tax, for a country to develop the people should be committed in paying tax, in UK tax ranging from 33-40 percent of income..

It is good to pay taxes to the government but the government should be transparent and accountable in the way people's taxes are being spent.In other words the people should know what and how their taxes are being spent.

Good one
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by Sunofgod(m): 6:20am On Jul 02, 2015
Traders will protest - But its a good move if the money is not squandered.
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by uchebest2006(m): 6:30am On Jul 02, 2015
They due pay tax for long....in ochanja, main market,Ogbaru,ose nd other mkt dem.
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by vivypretty(f): 6:41am On Jul 02, 2015
I thought they have been paying.
when I go to eko awka market to buy something,I always see some guys(claiming to be from govt) who collect money from hawkers and traders there.pls what is that money called
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by ojimbo(m): 6:43am On Jul 02, 2015
Until I see a proper demolition and a well town planning. All this things you are talking is rubbish
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by Nobody: 6:53am On Jul 02, 2015
vivypretty:
I thought they have been paying.
when I go to EKO awka market to buy something,I always see some guys(claiming to be from govt) who collect money from hawkers and traders there.pls what is that money called
@ the bolded, how can you be in Lagos and Awka at the same time

1 Like

Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by phlemzy: 6:55am On Jul 02, 2015
IGR on point. The state needs it to grow.
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by Nobody: 7:00am On Jul 02, 2015
Mehn, the tax is like #500 a month ooo depending on shop size and he's still giving them a warning before it starts?.. That's how a government should be abeg not an autocratic display of the fg and changes policies over night

1 Like

Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by vivypretty(f): 7:18am On Jul 02, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
@ the bolded, how can you be in Lagos and Awka at the same time
correction am not the bolded and I never told u am in lagos.(mistaken identity)
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by lunaticfringe: 7:23am On Jul 02, 2015
vivypretty:
correction am not the bolded and I never told u am in lagos.(mistaken identity)

Read you first post again and stop acting like a big baby..
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by vivypretty(f): 7:28am On Jul 02, 2015
lunaticfringe:

Read you first post again and stop acting like a big baby..
now u call it acting.ekoawka is a market in awka and from my first statement I don't know how I gave u that impression
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by SUBMARINE: 7:30am On Jul 02, 2015
Its not yet time to tax the people

This ideal might be counterproductive since the state has being unable to curtail corruption on the few taxes collected.

Besides , let the state show us what she has used the little tax collected to achieve.

Just like Lagos State that collected huge taxes and yet has nothing to show for it except a debt of #400b+.

phlemzy:
IGR on point. The state needs it to grow.
liberty300:
Mehn, the tax is like #500 a month ooo depending on shop size and he's still giving them a warning before it starts?.. That's how a government should be abeg not an autocratic display of the fg and changes policies over night
Sunofgod:
Traders will protest - But its a good move if the money is not squandered.
same2u:
Only 10percent of our people pay tax, for a country to develop the people should be committed in paying tax, in UK tax ranging from 33-40 percent of income..
It is good to pay taxes to the government but the government should be transparent and accountable in the way people's taxes are being spent.In other words the people should know what and how their taxes are being spent.
Good one
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by lunaticfringe: 7:33am On Jul 02, 2015
vivypretty:
now u call it acting.ekoawka is a market in awka and from my first statement I don't know how I gave u that impression

The market is eke. Eko is lagos my good friend..
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by vivypretty(f): 7:38am On Jul 02, 2015
lunaticfringe:

The market is eke. Eko is lagos my good friend..
thanks for the correction
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by AustineE1: 7:57am On Jul 02, 2015
The new taxing regime will be professionally done,no more diversion as where obtainable in the past....dont forget that gov.Obiano is an auditor par excellence,even to the point of having a PHD in it and that explained the performance of Fidelity bank while he was at the head of affairs.
Anambra adigo mma!
Re: Be Ready To Pay Taxes, Obiano Tells Traders by Nobody: 8:46am On Jul 02, 2015
Obiano should follow Lagos state template to ensure accountability. Taxation will yield plenty of liquidity for the state government.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari’s Cabinet: 33 Ministerial Nominees Fail Corruption Test / See A Poor Village In Nepal Where Everybody Has Sold Their Kidneys For Survival / Nigeria Is Building A $300 Million Smart Mall In Aba City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.