Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,997 members, 7,835,347 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms (17491 Views)

DSS Raids Bureau De Change Operators In Abuja & Lagos, Forces Dollar Down To 400 / Economic Crisis: Five Banks’ Profit Drop By N54bn / Banks Under Pressure From Industry Groups To Deepen FX Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by labamo07(m): 9:11am On Jul 02, 2015
You need not complain because you sucked Nigerians since the inception of your service compared to what you are offering in other countries. Oya start to dey chop ya cane.......
Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 9:17am On Jul 02, 2015
there is God
Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 02, 2015
The economic environment is not favourable for business because of the government insensitivity and Snail pace

1 Like

Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by Nobody: 9:18am On Jul 02, 2015
I will advice the telecom operators to curb the payment of celebrities
Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by ajibadeol(m): 9:24am On Jul 02, 2015
little wonder why the companies are retrenching staffs from the operator to vendor to sub contractors. ericsson is fading out, is almost non existing even huawei is struggling severely. my advice to young engineering graduates please look elsewhere other than the messed up industry. #my kobo!
Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by franugo(m): 9:25am On Jul 02, 2015
alaoeri:
Useless service providers looking for a way to increase their tariff, to improve their services is a problem but only good at dishing money to yeyebrities.

My brother oo, the thing dey baffle me too. What do they even do with so many so called ambassadors
Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by natedalo: 9:27am On Jul 02, 2015
I hope baba is not deliberately crashing this economy to satisfy the whims of the west. Food price to go up, telecom sector problems, fuel scarcity looming, naira devaluation - all in one month.

1 Like

Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 02, 2015
iyke926:
So we should expect a higher call rate?

when revenues are declining the practical thing to do is to cut cost and not increase price of services cos u force customers to look for other alternatives, I think this yrs xmas will be leaner than last yr cos people will reduce spending on unnecessary items.

I hope we dont go the way of greece.

2 Likes

Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by damiloladuke: 9:37am On Jul 02, 2015
they should try to adjust then

HOW I PRANKED THE GIRL THAT WANTED TO CHOP MY MONEY www.nairaland.com/2414463/how-pranked-girl-wanted-2chop
Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by oloriooko(m): 9:37am On Jul 02, 2015
[size=18pt]Since they have been carting away billions of dollars noboby heard their shouts of dismay but now that the table has turned they want to fill our ears with nonsense
They should know that whatever goes up must surely come down cheesy[/size]
Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by 3kay945(m): 9:39am On Jul 02, 2015
elohorayodele:
And the dullard can't do anything about it.

Change is here.

I knew this illiterate abo.ki doesn't have an idea what he's taking on as president, he's still shell shocked and doesn't know what to do.

This mess is caused by the dullard that left... It takes time to cleanup.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by babestella: 9:45am On Jul 02, 2015
We will soon go back to N50 naira per minute. Watch out as it unfolds.

1 Like

Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by beyoncausme: 9:50am On Jul 02, 2015
interesting....
Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 02, 2015
ultrazone:
Telecomms towing the path of banking, staff take note. Don't spend your years building another man's dream, start a business today, No More Excuses! See this »» Top 40 Lucrative Businesses You Should Start In Nigeria This Month.
is forex trading a lucrative business?
Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by 989900: 10:12am On Jul 02, 2015
“Nigeria with a population of more than 160 million people had about 20,000 base stations at the end of 2010. The UK with just about 60 million people had more than 50,000 base stations at the same period. Thus, Nigeria needs more than 100,000 base stations to service its huge population”, said Lanre Ajayi, national president, Association of Telecommunications Companies of Nigeria (ATCON).

The part above doesn't necessarily matter as indicated; while more will be needed, the base stations in Nigeria are mostly huge masts with far reaching range.

However, the dollar part is definitely killing all businesses slowly, it's a shame most Nigerians don't realize this is the real impoverishment we are facing. A N1,500 (previously $10.3) MTN recharge card, would barely fetch MTN ($7 now). Factor in the reduced rates and promos and competition and lack of cash in the country; basically translates into roughly 40-50% loss or more for the 'telco' company = cutting down on quality of service provided, pruning staff strength, disaster for the country's economy as a whole.

If nothing serious is done to arrest the dollar situation, we'r going down . . .
Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by superbloke(m): 10:14am On Jul 02, 2015
These Companies have to be creative. Even though it's a highly competitive industry, they have to work together to solve their common challenges. Problems involving Base stations and switching can be resolved by collaboration. I also think, as rightly noted in the article, looking towards local content and backward integration will be of great help.

They need to also shift a large part of their business focus to data and data based services. Majority of consumers are becoming more of data consumers than voice consumers. You have things like BBM and WhatsApp that provide instant messaging that have made texts almost redundant and data calls that are becoming popular.

Finally, I think it's time they be listed on the stock exchange. Nigerians need to have stakes in them, plus it's extra capital.

The NCC need to sit up. They are supposed to be the CBN of the telecoms industry.
Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by Orikinla(m): 10:16am On Jul 02, 2015
PRESS RELEASE

[size=18pt]Mobile technology puts African business owners in the driving seat[/size]

JOHANNESBURG, South-Africa, July 2, 2015/ -- With smartphone penetration ramping up across Africa, the continent’s businesses have an opportunity to use mobile technology to become more efficient, productive, and responsive in the way they do business.

According to the Ericsson Mobility Report for 2015 (http://www.apo.af/uwS8Ft), there were more than 910 million mobile subscriptions in Africa by the first quarter of 2015. A growing number of these mobile users are now walking around with powerful smart devices that give them access to apps and information wherever they are.

Logo: http://www.photos.apo-opa.com/plog-content/images/apo/logos/sage.png
Photo Daryl Blundell: http://www.photos.apo-opa.com/index.php?level=picture&id=2264 (Daryl Blundell - GM, Sage Pastel Accounting)
Photo Keith Fenner: http://www.photos.apo-opa.com/index.php?level=picture&id=2265 (Keith Fenner - Sage ERP Africa)
Photo Gerhard Hartman: http://www.photos.apo-opa.com/index.php?level=picture&id=2015 (Gerhard Hartman - Head of Department for Sage Payroll & HR’s Int)
Download biography Daryl Blundell: http://www.apo-mail.org/Daryl-Blundell.docx
Download biography Keith Fenner: http://www.apo-mail.org/Keith-Fenner.docx
Download biography Gerhard Hartman: http://www.apo-mail.org/Gerhard-Hartman.docx

ERP – making collaboration easy

And that, in turn, creates new ways for organisations to interact with employees, suppliers, and other stakeholders. “We’re seeing many organisations mobilise their enterprise resource planning (ERP) software, “says Keith Fenner, Senior Vice-President Sales - Sage ERP Africa & Sage ERP X3 AAMEA, Director and Head of Sage Middle East (http://www.sage.com).

“Workers and managers are increasingly able to access ERP data on the road to serve customers, speed up decision-making, and save time.”

For example, a salesperson can now easily check from a tablet or smartphone whether a product is in stock while on-site with a customer, says Fenner. They can capture the customer’s details and initiate the order without leaving the customer premises, all leading to a faster and more seamless service.

“Mobile workers can now use their time between meetings and at airports more productively,” he adds. “And they can access data on the spot so that they can react to opportunities and problems more rapidly. Of course, mobilising business processes also streamlines processes by allowing data to be captured in the field.”

Accounting for all on the move

Sage Pastel Accounting General Manager, Daryl Blundell, notes that mobility is transforming smaller businesses. “An accounting solution with a good mobile app is a real boon for SMEs,” he says. “Employees with mobile devices can be productive many more hours a week because they can work from anywhere in the world and can maximise what might otherwise have been wasted time waiting in airports and reception rooms.”

He adds: “Sales people can take their tablets into meetings and give PowerPoint presentations, while MDs can quickly see the status of business KPIs on a real-time dashboard. And enterprise mobility can allow employees access to information on the fly, such as financial reports, stock orders, customer data and inventory lists.

“Customers can accept terms by physically signing the mobile device, so deals can be negotiated and closed in one meeting. Employees can keep up to date with work without returning to the office and stay up to date on relevant projects so deadlines aren't missed. What’s more, it helps everyone achieve a healthy work-life balance.”

Mobilising HR functions
Mobile technology is also helping HR departments to become more efficient and to build better relationships with employees. Gerhard Hartman, Head of Sage HR & Payroll’s International Division, says that companies can now offer employee self-service (ESS) across mobile devices to streamline HR processes and engage employees more effectively.

“With mobile ESS, companies can enable employees to file leave applications, doctor’s notes when they’re ill, and expense claims - all from their mobile devices,” he adds. “They can look up their payslips, change their personal details, and more, all without needing to do paperwork or phone the HR department.”

Employees benefit from the convenience and access to information 24/7, while managers and the HR department can handle leave requests, expense claims, and other admin from their own mobile devices. The result is that everyone saves time and gets more done, says Hartman. “Accessing HR tools from your mobile simplify everyone's life - from the employee trying to figure out how many vacation days they have left to the HR team who should be focusing on strategy and value-add rather than on paperwork,” he adds.

Distributed by APO (African Press Organization) on behalf of Sage.

Idea Engineers (PR agency for Sage)
Clive Moagi
Tel: +27 (0)11 803 0030
Mobile: +27 (0)73 4116 023
Clive@ideaengineers.co.za
Del-Mari Roberts
Tel: +27 (0)11 803 0030
Mobile: +27 (0)72 5958 053
delmari@ideaengineers.co.za

About The Sage Group plc
Sage (http://www.sage.com) energizes the success of businesses and their communities around the world through the use of smart technology and the imagination of our people. Sage has reimagined business and brings energy, experience and technology to inspire our customers to fulfil their dreams. We work with a thriving community of entrepreneurs, business owners, tradespeople, accountants, partners and developers who drive the global economy. Sage is a FTSE 100 company with 14,000 employees in 24 countries. For more information, visit www.sage.com.

SOURCE
Sage
Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by Nobody: 10:57am On Jul 02, 2015
bottom line is Nigeria needs to diversify its economy from oil...i just hope our present politicians can get it into their thick skulls this time..if we don't act fast what is happening to Greece would be just a tip of the iceberg in our case...

we need to think beyond the oil in the niger delta and move this country forward...look at how stuck we are... angry

1 Like

Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by Nobody: 11:02am On Jul 02, 2015
IzonOwei:
bottom line is Nigeria needs to diversify its economy from oil...i just hope our present politicians can get it into their thick skulls this time..if we don't act fast what is happening to Greece would be just a tip of the iceberg in our case...

we need to think beyond the oil in the niger delta and move this country forward...look at how stuck we are... angry

You're in for an eternal wait. A man who hardly sees beyond his stomach and bank accounts doesn't have the time to think of diversifying a nation's economy.

I've given up on him since 2010! !

1 Like

Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by juman(m): 11:06am On Jul 02, 2015
grin grin grin
Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by luthorcorp: 11:07am On Jul 02, 2015
all these news are jusy smoke screens do as to justify their oncoming action to increase their datas and tarriff,i just hope baba takes a drastic action...
Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by Nobody: 11:15am On Jul 02, 2015
dearpreye:

You're in for an eternal wait. A man who hardly sees beyond his stomach and bank accounts doesn't have the time to think of diversifying a nation's economy.

I've given up on him since 2010! !
lol...preye something needs to happen real fast if not we are headed to hit an iceberg as a nation economically speaking...the truth is we can accrue cash as a nation via other ways..why cant we just do it...if this present government doesn't get iit right we are in for wahala ooo

1 Like

Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by Nobody: 11:51am On Jul 02, 2015
elohorayodele:
And the dullard can't do anything about it.

Change is here.

I knew this illiterate abo.ki doesn't have an idea what he's taking on as president, he's still shell shocked and doesn't know what to do.
you call someone an illiterate yet show your ignorance in public. if u actually read the post before ranting nonsense, you would understand that they woes they and every other business faces is as a result of the activities of the past administration. I would be nice for u to also know that the reason u pay high tariffs is because the past administrations especially that of jonathan created an uncondusive business environment that would enable another bloc of telecoms companies to break the oligopolistic tendencies of the current bloc. I pray u have more sense in future
Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by no2fuks(m): 12:41pm On Jul 02, 2015
shit is real
Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by kingsleyuk2003(m): 3:20pm On Jul 02, 2015
angry
Re: GSM Operators Under Pressure As Economic Crisis Hits Telecoms by esecoal(m): 4:59pm On Jul 02, 2015
that one no hard naa
all the money wey una de give wizkid and Flavour and co
make una block loop holes there,our govt has already stated blockin ttheir loop holes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Revocation Of Licenses: NDIC Assures Depositors Of Speedy Payment Of Claims / Follow Me As I Take You 2ru The Process Of Making $200 Daily On Clickbank / See Aliko Dangote's 'heaven On Earth' Mansion That Can Make One Confuse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.