Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,933 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? (1406 Views)

You Are A Good Work Created For Good Works / Everything Works Together For Our Good / Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:13pm On Jul 03, 2015
Should or should we not let our good works be seen?

Matthew 5:16; 1 Peter 2:12 and Matthew 6:1-4; Matthew 23:3,5

Show good works:

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven" (Matthew 5:16).

"Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation" (1 Peter 2:12).

Don't show good works:

"Take heed that you do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise you have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Therefore when you do your alms, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say to you, They have their reward. But when you do alms, let not your left hand know what your right hand does: That your alms may be in secret: and your Father which sees in secret Himself shall reward you openly" (Matthew 6:1-4).

"All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not after their works: for they say, and do not do. But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments" (Matthew 23:3,5).
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 03, 2015
the second part of
"DONT SHOW GOOD WORKS"
Refers to Hypocrisy.
The scriptures you quoted already explains itself,i dont know why you cant see it.
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:34pm On Jul 03, 2015
sportsmaster:

the second part of
"DONT SHOW GOOD WORKS"
Refers to Hypocrisy.
The scriptures you quoted already explains itself,i dont know why you cant see it.

So are you saying we should or should not show our good works? undecided
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jul 03, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

So are you saying we should or should not show our good works? undecided
the answer is within the scriptures you quoted. The christian should let his light shine before all men. Matt5:16.
Dont be an Hypocrite
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by Heavenly102: 7:54pm On Jul 03, 2015
show your good works, just do not do it for fame, or or to gain wordly praise or for entry into peoples pockets, but do it to let God's name be exalted.

2 Likes

Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by 5solas(m): 11:18pm On Jul 03, 2015
Don't show your good works, they will always show themselves.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by NumberOne3(m): 1:38am On Jul 04, 2015
The point here is not literarily showing or not showing. It boils down to purpose. Why are you doing the works? To please God or men?
Eventually even hidden work gets revealed no matter how hard you try to hide it, however, avoid "showing off" to get praise from men.

Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart;
With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men: - Ephesians 6:6-7

3 Likes

Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by Nobody: 11:26am On Jul 04, 2015
NumberOne3:
The point here is not literarily showing or not showing. It boils down to purpose. Why are you doing the works? To please God or men?
Eventually even hidden work gets revealed no matter how hard you try to hide it, however, avoid "showing off" to get praise from men.

Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart;

You be CORRECT GUY
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:08pm On Jul 04, 2015
sportsmaster:

the answer is within the scriptures you quoted.
The christian should let his light shine before all men.
Matt5:16.

Dont be an Hypocrite

I quoted scriptures both for or against. Be specific about your answer.
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:09pm On Jul 04, 2015
Heavenly102:

show your good works, just do not do it for fame, or or to gain wordly praise or for entry into peoples pockets, but do it to let God's name be exalted.

How do you do that?
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:10pm On Jul 04, 2015
5solas:

Don't show your good works, they will always show themselves.

Brilliant answer! Way to go! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:11pm On Jul 04, 2015
NumberOne3:

Well said. wink

1 Like

Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jul 04, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

I quoted scriptures both for or against. Be specific about your answer.
Numberone3 already answered the question.
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:26pm On Jul 04, 2015
sportsmaster:

Numberone3 already answered the question.

And you seconded it, yes?
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by esere826: 8:33pm On Jul 05, 2015
nothing wrong with letting our good works be seen
as it is written
" let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."
if you take this literary, you see there is a distinction between the works and the light
in order words, it can be interpreted as saying
draw attention to your good works so that folks will see it and bless God

But then what about the other verse that seems to suggest we hide our good works
Well, there are a number of explanations I can give, but I'll give only this one.
an excerpt from the verse shows this:
"......that they may have glory of men."

So we see that this is an admonition to those who are yet to emerge from self
those who are yet to understand their oneness with God, those who are separate from God

Remember what was said about Christ
that he went about doing good.
he sure wasn't trying too hard to hide it.
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:34pm On Jul 06, 2015
esere826:

nothing wrong with letting our good works be seen
as it is written
" let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."
if you take this literary, you see there is a distinction between the works and the light
in order words, it can be interpreted as saying
draw attention to your good works so that folks will see it and bless God

But then what about the other verse that seems to suggest we hide our good works
Well, there are a number of explanations I can give, but I'll give only this one.
an excerpt from the verse shows this:
"......that they may have glory of men."

So we see that this is an admonition to those who are yet to emerge from self
those who are yet to understand their oneness with God, those who are separate from God

Remember what was said about Christ
that he went about doing good.
he sure wasn't trying too hard to hide it.

So, what you are saying is that we should show our good works, right?
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by churchkilo(m): 6:01pm On Jul 06, 2015
this is a command to every child of God ,so if you love God keep His commandment
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by esere826: 7:33pm On Jul 06, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

So, what you are saying is that we should show our good works, right?
Strategy wise ...yes
humility or discretion wise -no

It depends on which is the overriding factor at that point

for example, if i pick up a man on the streets and help him to his feet economically
,....it makes no sense for me to announce it. What gain do I have for this even from men?
however, if i want to encourage others to do the same, i definitely will use that experience as an example
also, if like Rochas Okoracha, I want to run for presidency, I would be happy to draw peoples attention to my act of kindness so that they vote for me.

I guess at the end of the day, the question would be if I would help that man if I have nothing temporal to gain from it
if the answer is yes,
then it doesn't really matter whether I do my good deed in secret (without gain) or in the open (for additional strategic gains)
in essence, the overiding purpose was not that I have the glory of men, and probably neither that of God

We could change the topic to trying to identify the blessings from both types of acts
and then ask if God would go ahead and bless me after doing this act from the mindset i have espoused
and I would probably answer that
"your Father which sees in secret Himself shall reward you openly"
he has seen your secret mindset and has rewarded you openly.
Hence your ability, determination and capability to even lift that guy up economically in the first place
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:30pm On Jul 10, 2015
churchkilo:

this is a command to every child of God ,so if you love God keep His commandment

What is the commandment, to show our good works or not?
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by Orunto: 1:25pm On Jul 12, 2015
Work is Action, you cannot hide it. Showing kindness by almsgiving is interaction, you cannot be provocative about it. All these are rules to make us sane.
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:02am On Jul 13, 2015
esere826:

Strategy wise ...yes
humility or discretion wise -no

It depends on which is the overriding factor at that point

for example, if i pick up a man on the streets and help him to his feet economically
,....it makes no sense for me to announce it. What gain do I have for this even from men?
however, if i want to encourage others to do the same, i definitely will use that experience as an example
also, if like Rochas Okoracha, I want to run for presidency, I would be happy to draw peoples attention to my act of kindness so that they vote for me.

You have answered well. Those who show their good works in this case have received their rewards, temporarily.

esere826:

I guess at the end of the day, the question would be if I would help that man if I have nothing temporal to gain from it
if the answer is yes,
then it doesn't really matter whether I do my good deed in secret (without gain) or in the open (for additional strategic gains)
in essence, the overiding purpose was not that I have the glory of men, and probably neither that of God

I believe we should seek to be rewarded by God which has a lasting result.

esere826:

We could change the topic to trying to identify the blessings from both types of acts
and then ask if God would go ahead and bless me after doing this act from the mindset i have espoused
and I would probably answer that
"your Father which sees in secret Himself shall reward you openly"
he has seen your secret mindset and has rewarded you openly.
Hence your ability, determination and capability to even lift that guy up economically in the first place

There are two types of rewards, from men and from God. Which one do you think we should be aiming for?
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by esere826: 11:53pm On Jul 13, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

There are two types of rewards, from men and from God. Which one do you think we should be aiming for?

I think we should first try to be nice. reward or no reward
for example get up for that old lady to sit even if God no bless you

I then think that the next step is to look out for the rewards for our niceness.
Its like a girl marrying a guy because she loves him. But the extra is that the guy dey spend sha

I think that if you have waited too long for God's reward for your niceness and u neva get am, then try mans own
afterall, Jesus did not condemn it.

I think that you can further jig it to have 50/50 potential reward distribution from God and man.
Any one that comes first would be gratefully received. cheesy
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:26pm On Jul 15, 2015
esere826:

I think we should first try to be nice. reward or no reward
for example get up for that old lady to sit even if God no bless you

In other words, it is good to be good. smiley

esere826:

I then think that the next step is to look out for the rewards for our niceness.
Its like a girl marrying a guy because she loves him. But the extra is that the guy dey spend sha

If the guy no spend would love still kontiniu?

esere826:

I think that if you have waited too long for God's reward for your niceness and u neva get am, then try mans own
afterall, Jesus did not condemn it.

Are you sure Jesus in Matthew 6:1-4 did not condemn it? undecided

esere826:

I think that you can further jig it to have 50/50 potential reward distribution from God and man.
Any one that comes first would be gratefully received. cheesy

Remember the double minded man that James spoke about. wink
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by esere826: 1:52pm On Jul 15, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

If the guy no spend would love still kontiniu?
As long as the money was only an extra, and not the main thing the love was built on. yep she'll still love him

Are you sure Jesus in Matthew 6:1-4 did not condemn it? :-
Nope, he didn't. He only said "Beware". Just like saying "beware of dog". This is not condemning the dog or the person that might be bitten by the dog

Remember the double minded man that James spoke about. wink
Nope, he's not double minded.
He's like Abraham the father of faith who believed God for a heir, but still had a son from his maid
lest the story have been told that Abraham been try, then he doubted God at the last minute and ended up with no children at all sad
..it is said to be innocent as doves and shrewd as serpents embarassed
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:17pm On Jul 15, 2015
esere826:

As long as the money was only an extra, and not the main thing the love was built on. yep she'll still love him

So the money was only perquisites? That must be the love of God. cheesy

esere826:

Nope, he didn't. He only said "Beware". Just like saying "beware of dog". This is not condemning the dog or the person that might be bitten by the dog

Can I still play with the dog, who can play with fire and not be burnt? cool

esere826:

Nope, he's not double minded.
He's like Abraham the father of faith who believed God for a heir, but still had a son from his maid
lest the story have been told that Abraham been try, then he doubted God at the last minute and ended up with no children at all sad
..it is said to be innocent as doves and shrewd as serpents embarassed

Have you forgotten that the world is still suffering from Abraham's decision to go into his maid today?
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by esere826: 1:27am On Jul 16, 2015
In conformance to the tradition set by the woman who insisted that dogs eat crumbs from the master's table after Jesus tried to pull a fast one on her by throwing an anecdote of dogs and children at her
..i'll go on wink
OLAADEGBU:

Can I still play with the dog, who can play with fire and not be burnt? cool
U sure can play with the dog especially if you're a dog trainer
you can also play with fire and not get burnt if you a weary and play safely

Have you forgotten that the world is still suffering from Abraham's decision to go into his maid today?

that's the point of view of us christians, ..I doubt if the Jews even think that way
the other side (non-christians) don't percieve it that way either
And guess what, the last time I heard about father Abraham,
he was chilling in a cool place visible from hades after what he caused on earth, he was even giving a topographic lecture to the rich man -talk about reward angry
can we then surmise by saying that those who try hard to keep to the letter do a lot of moaning, while those who don't bother seem to be having their cake and eating it sad
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:56am On Jul 18, 2015
esere826:

In conformance to the tradition set by the woman who insisted that dogs eat crumbs from the master's table after Jesus tried to pull a fast one on her by throwing an anecdote of dogs and children at her
..i'll go on wink

U sure can play with the dog especially if you're a dog trainer
you can also play with fire and not get burnt if you a weary and play safely

You are playing with fire my friend! shocked

"Can one go upon hot coals, and his feet not be burned"? (Proverbs 6:28).

esere826:

that's the point of view of us christians, ..I doubt if the Jews even think that way
the other side (non-christians) don't percieve it that way either
And guess what, the last time I heard about father Abraham,
he was chilling in a cool place visible from hades after what he caused on earth, he was even giving a topographic lecture to the rich man -talk about reward angry
can we then surmise by saying that those who try hard to keep to the letter do a lot of moaning, while those who don't bother seem to be having their cake and eating it sad

Remember that father Abraham repented and made his way right before the God. (Genesis 17:1).
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by esere826: 9:05am On Jul 18, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

You are playing with fire my friend! shocked

"Can one go upon hot coals, and his feet not be burned"? (Proverbs 6:28).
A question was asked. And the answer is simple. yep, you can..if you put on protective shoes.
ask anyone who is not familiar with the bible. you'll hear their reply

Have you noticed some interesting aspects of the bible about counter arguments,
for example,....
-Jesus countering Satan with same Bible that Satan quoted
-Jesus countering those who squeezed their faces when he was about to heal the paralytic
-the Caananite woman countering Jesus submissions about her legitimacy to partake of healing
-Jesus countering those that reasoned that a man was born blind because of sin. Jesus simply twisted the argument in order to bring about results

this is what I believe >>
that the letter follows the Spirit, and not the other way round
If I'm lead to think or act in a certain way, I can always find scriptural and logical arguments to push my case
However, if someone first seeks the letter to support his pursuit
he would be like a wave of the sea driven by the wind and tossed about
Especially when we've got a bible that we've got thousands of people interpreting differently

Remember that father Abraham repented and made his way right before the God. (Genesis 17:1).
Repent koh, repent ni. that's what they thought me in sunday school. (I suspect say u be my sunday school teacher sef)
no ways,... he was still arguing with God in that verse and even helping God with suggestions for his successor
that was father Abraham for you tongue
Re: Should Or Should We Not Let Our Good Works Be Seen? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:44am On Aug 08, 2015
esere826:

A question was asked. And the answer is simple. yep, you can..if you put on protective shoes.
ask anyone who is not familiar with the bible. you'll hear their reply

Have you noticed some interesting aspects of the bible about counter arguments,
for example,....
-Jesus countering Satan with same Bible that Satan quoted
-Jesus countering those who squeezed their faces when he was about to heal the paralytic
-the Caananite woman countering Jesus submissions about her legitimacy to partake of healing
-Jesus countering those that reasoned that a man was born blind because of sin. Jesus simply twisted the argument in order to bring about results

this is what I believe >>
that the letter follows the Spirit, and not the other way round
If I'm lead to think or act in a certain way, I can always find scriptural and logical arguments to push my case
However, if someone first seeks the letter to support his pursuit
he would be like a wave of the sea driven by the wind and tossed about
Especially when we've got a bible that we've got thousands of people interpreting differently

We don't need to complicate things for ourselves. The scripture specifically said 'feet' we do not need to add protective shoes to it. When we stick to God's word without adding to it the way Eve added to it when she said God said they should not touch the forbidden fruit, we would not fall into Satan's trap.

esere826:

Repent koh, repent ni. that's what they thought me in sunday school. (I suspect say u be my sunday school teacher sef)
no ways,... he was still arguing with God in that verse and even helping God with suggestions for his successor
that was father Abraham for you tongue

When did Genesis 17:1 happen, was it before or after Abraham 'helped' himself? undecided

(1) (Reply)

There Are No Men Of God: All We Have Is Men Of Thieves / . / Angry Muslims Stone Man To Death For Accepting Christianity In Somalia(photo).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.