Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,184 members, 7,829,249 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:33 PM

European Names & Nigerians Living Abroad - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / European Names & Nigerians Living Abroad (799 Views)

5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression / Video Series About Cities Built By Africans Before European Contact. / How To Make African Culture As Appreciated As European, Asian, And American (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

European Names & Nigerians Living Abroad by Nobody: 11:05am On Jul 04, 2015
What is your opinion of Nigerian people that choose to take on European names (both at home and abroad) for different purposes? and what is the reasoning behind these names?

As a Nigerian that was born in London and raised in America, whilst still maintaining my full Yoruba name, this is something I've always been curious about. I love my name and have longed for a deeper connection and understanding of the IMPORTANCE OF NAMING IN NIGERIA & I have been confused by those that seem to do the opposite.

1 Like

Re: European Names & Nigerians Living Abroad by anonymous6(f): 1:17pm On Jul 04, 2015
Bibi734:
What is your opinion of Nigerian people that choose to take on European names (both at home and abroad) for different purposes? and what is the reasoning behind these names?

As a Nigerian that was born in London and raised in America, whilst still maintaining my full Yoruba name, this is something I've always been curious about. I love my name and have longed for a deeper connection and understanding of the IMPORTANCE OF NAMING IN NIGERIA & I have been confused by those that seem to do the opposite.

I think in the end of the day its up to the parents but I really don't agree with it personally except if it's a surname. For me I was born and raised in America from Nigerian parents of the yoruba tribe and they gave me and my siblings all yoruba names no English names, and I loved that they did that and I appreciate my name cause no matter what people think its a connection to your culture and homeland in the end of the day. My future children are having yoruba names for sure.

I know some people who have english names or gave their children english names, They are not less nigerian then ones that give themselves cultural tribal names but I do think it slowly moves you away from your culture in a minor way.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Six People Sentenced To Death In Pakistan For Dancing At A Wedding / Lagos Not Part Of Yorubaland - Oba Akiolu Makes Shocking Claim / The Coronation And Confirmation Of Eze Nri Obidiegwu Onyeso In Aguleri (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.