Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,545 members, 7,823,391 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award (17060 Views)

Jay-jay Okocha Celebrates His 42nd Birthday Today / Jay-jay Okocha Returns To Football With English Club / Who Deserves World Best Player Btw Messi Nd Ronaldo. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award by stranger: 1:10am On Aug 26, 2006
lolo2ng or what do u call ursef. U do not have to attack ppl. This is just an arguement about okocha being the best or not. It is not a personality contest. Presnt ur case and i present my case. Back it up with evidence and let others judge . u do not have to descend so low just because u want to make a point. Maturity demands courtesy. Courtesy in presentation and courtesy in addresing others. Atleast, in behaviour u shud try to behave as someone with some level of formal education , no matter how sub standard it is.

Anyway, When WEAH became the best footballer in the world nobody said anything about politics. The point is OKOCHA is good but not that good . Ask Westahof, ask bonfrere, ask Luiz fernandez, ask Sam allydice they will all tell you that Okocha does not have much to offer Modern football.
Re: Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award by timjones(m): 5:46pm On Feb 18, 2007
jay jay is the best
Re: Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award by tng(f): 11:35am On Mar 08, 2007
Eto's success if we can reason very well, is his club Barcel, , which is a good team that'll motivate any player in it. [quote][/quote]

The first time Eto'o won the african player award he was with real mallorca nd it wasnt a good team because even when he ended up as highest goal scorer 4 dat season, they didnt win the league or come close but he was recognised nd duly rewarded.
Okocha has done well for nigeria but never had what it took to roll with the big boys e.g zidane.
Re: Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award by medikhelp: 11:39pm On Mar 24, 2007
Okocha was a dribbling wizard. But he does not change matches. In Nigeria's history, we have had dribblers who change matches. Kanu is one. Odegbami was another. If Okocha wanted to win the African best player, he should have won the 2000 or 2004 Nations cup single handedly. In 2004, against Tunisia, he put himself last in the shoot-out, thus putting inexperienced odewengie first. Odewengie missed and it never actually got to Okocha's turn. Zidane and co would not have done this.

It is unfortunate. I love the guy as he probably deserve to have won african footballer of the year once, but unfortunately, he came close but did not. Remember, even despite Odegbami's feat in 1980 Ntions Cup, he still placed 2nd to Abega of Cameroun. Francophone bias? who knows but a lot of deserving niherians have won in the past including mercurial Kanu, Yekini, Ikpeba and Amunike.
Re: Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award by dayokanu(m): 12:44am On Mar 25, 2007
I hate it when ppl talk of bias against Okocha as if he is the only black man the problem is not politics the problem is Okocha himself. When his career was just begining, he went to Turkey .from then onwards he became totally irrelevant to modern football.
George Weah is black and did not even have a national team and he won the world footballer of the year, Eto'o came 3rd and won African footballer even when he was in Mallorca, they said he is CAF boy and Francophone the guy went to the world stage to prove himself, even Kanu Nwakwo was in top 10 in 1996 is he not black he is even Ibo just like Okocha so when ppl talk of conspiracy against Okocha it sounds more like a lazy argument.
Okocha never deserved the award in all the years he was active Kanu,Yekini, Amunike and Ikpeba deservedly won it and they are all Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award by obinna43(m): 7:30pm On Mar 25, 2007
hey guys pls and pls dont try to compare jay jay magic to any how player, he is the man. one of the best in the world either gud or bad his 10 is uncompareable
am so proud to hear that name not okocha but jajy jay magic okocha
u re too much grin
Re: Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award by NnaNna4(m): 3:50am On Apr 03, 2007
The name JJ reminds me of good old days of Nigerian football.There is never any foot baller who has shocked africa like JJ.Just the free-kick against Cameroun is enough to make me forgive the Super eagles of their present blunders,but it is quite unfurtunate Nigerians are not always proud of their own.That is why Our coaches Did not vote him.

Come to think of it Eto' made it so high cos he played in the most covetd team alongside
Rhonaldino and as long as he remained in that club he kept winning AFY award but My JJ chose a wrong(I mean lower) Team and it cost him dearly.But that didnt change him.Please b informed that JJ is the Only player that will make a difference in a team no matter how tough the game is, whenever Nigeria is on the pitch.

So, if you Dont Know How To Thank him for making NIgerian Football popular then u consult BBC or u 4get it.As 4 me JJ is An Icon,his assignment is to lift clubs. Kanu tried it with Westbrom and he failed.

I strongly believe that the first two AFY awarded to Eto belong to JJ.JJ was R O B B E D.

S H I K E N A

1 Like

Re: Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award by Nobody: 1:47pm On Apr 17, 2009
Permit me to say this that all you guys who have made negative comments about my man Okocha, are damn wrong. Why should you compare Okocha with Ronaldo, Eto, Owen, e.tc? First of all do they all play the same pattern of football? No! Do thy play the same wing? No! Can't you see that Okocha ia quite diffrent from others? In fact, if not that he didn't have speed, he would have been better than Maradona.

Eto, Ronaldo, Ronaldhino, Owen, Zidane, and the rest of those guys cannot dribble like Okocha, break a defence like Okocha, give excellent passes and throw-ins like Okocha. In these areas, he is far better than all of them. Dont you see that his passes are excellent? So much that even if you were running away from the ball, it would still get to you? Can any of those guys dribble five guys at the same time? Absolutely no! Okocha can dribble the whole field if he choses to. I don't think he deserves World best player but I think he deserbes WORLD BEST DRIBBLER, WORLD BEST MIDFIELDER. For in these areas no one matches him and you all no that for sure.

Do you expect everyone to be the same? If Okocha started playing like Ronaldo, he would cease to be Jay-Jay. In fact, Ronaldinho confessed that he learnt most of his dribbling skills indirectly by watching Okocha train and play when they were both in PSG.

Okocha has got a winning spirit. Though he has not played in big teams, he has helped the weak teams to secure more points. He helped Bolton and Hull City a lot. U can read about him in Wikipedia.

Don't compare Okocha with those guys, they might be faster than him and score more than he does, that I agree with you guys. But he is far better than them in dribbles, passes, ball control, throw-ins, and ultimately entertainment football. He is the world best football entertainer.
Re: Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award by michrel: 2:53pm On Jun 02, 2009
hi wass up? my people shocked
Re: Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award by davidif: 12:06am On Jun 03, 2009
I believe if he's a white he would have won it.
But it's disgusting that he hasn't won Best African footballer award so it's difficult for him to win any now.

Look Greatpeter, okocha was probably the most talented player i have ever seen in my life, but he definitely was not the most effective player i have ever seen. The guy was a late bloomer, he didn't develop until later in his career when he came to Bolton. The man could barely play free-kicks ( i always remember the ball always going up high over the post).
One thing they teach you in a football academy is to learn when to dribble and when to pass. Okocha struggled with this throughout most of his career. A lot of Nigerians confuse dribbling with being a great player, If this were the case, then Dennilson would be greatest player the world had ever seen. The greatest players all know this and this is what makes them effective i.e Zidane, C. Ronaldo, Messi, Eto'o.

When C. Ronaldo came to Man U he had the skills but nothing else, he was nowhere near a good passer as David Beckham and the guy could barely cross, but after a few years under the tutelage of Alex Ferguson and a lot of extreme hard work on his part now he has blossomed into a great player and not just a circus show. This is a guy who years ago barely knew how to cross, let alone take free kicks and score. Now look at him, the guy is probably the most complete player i have ever seen in my life, he can do it all.

by the way, obongproff, Okocha was never a great passer, he was just an average passer.
Re: Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award by CarlosVent(m): 10:06pm On Nov 14, 2009
JAYJAY OKOCHA WAS A GOOD PLAYER MORE THAN ANY ONE ELSE BUT LUCK WAS NOT ON HIS SIDE THATS ALL.

MANY WHITES LEARNT FROM HIM

AT BOLTON HE ENTERTAINS FANS EVERY TUESDAY EVENING AND THEY PAY TO COME AND WATCH HIM DISPLAY HIS SKILLS.

HE WAS REALLY A BLESSING TO THE GAME OF FOOTBALL BUT WASN'T LUCKY

----------------------------------
THANKS A LOT NIGERIANS
Re: Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award by Smi1(m): 12:03pm On Jan 21, 2010
Okocha, was a good dribbler and i think he hard the spirit of football in him, unfortunately he was under rated by many !!!
Re: Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award by Smi1(m): 12:06pm On Jan 21, 2010
I just believe talent doesn't make it all, you will need to acquire some lil luck to attach to it, just take a look at Eto'o or Drogba the both are not that good on the ball but they are attached with luck that's why they are ruling the european football now.
Re: Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award by y2kplus: 6:24pm On Sep 12, 2013
Do I sense anti JJ here or simply this complex thing? Not appreciating what we have but glorifying others from 'outside'?
Re: Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award by almustie: 9:33am On Sep 13, 2013
Truely Okocha is a very skillful player bt yt does nt hav dat wining at all cost spirit as compard to his European counterparts.I stil respect him sha

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chukwueze Ends 17-Game La Liga Goal Drought With Brace In Villarreal Win / Austin Eguavoen: My Appointment As Eagles Interim Coach Surprised Me / AC Milan Kicked Out Of Europa League For FFP Breaches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.