Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,816,997 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:35 PM

Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? (3374 Views)

Who's Better To U B/w Modenine And M.i.? Lets Talk: / Nairaland Beat Suggestion Thread For Modenine And Mi Mixtape / Who's Got Lyrics: Ruggedman Or Modenine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by phantom(m): 10:15pm On Mar 04, 2009
haha.controversy time, but where else to trash this out other than NL, oya over to una grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin(enjoying himself!)

1 Like

Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by lalaboi(m): 10:27pm On Mar 04, 2009
Ohhhh phantom. . . . . .why did you do this. . . . .?. . . . .why?
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by rapjunkie(m): 10:41pm On Mar 04, 2009
Mode 9 is far better than MI.

Can't even compare the two.

lalaboi:

Ohhhh phantom. . . . . .why did you do this. . . . .?. . . . .why?

You are right WHY !!!  This is going to get ugly angry angry angry
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Mar 04, 2009
mi
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by phantom(m): 10:54pm On Mar 04, 2009
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin, make una no vex ,lets sort it out, yes this is wat i am talking about , bring it on guyz
for me, mody is a demon o!!!, MI na martian, soooooooo
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by lalaboi(m): 10:55pm On Mar 04, 2009
add a poll to the thread
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by audio: 11:34pm On Mar 04, 2009
Mode 9 for me. MI's album is a good debut, but lyrically Mode 9 is more my thing. All he needs is a hit record to realize his potential and maybe subject matters that the average nigerian/african can relate to.

@ Rapjunkie. I thought you didn't like Mode9?
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by badman(m): 11:41pm On Mar 04, 2009
this is close

all this versus modenine topics ends the same way
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by dasa: 12:04am On Mar 05, 2009
mode nine can piece words together well. lots of metaphors. he is great.

BUT Mr Incredible does that with so much attidude and swagga.

play the cd's of both guys. see if u will skip a track on M. I.'S cd.

M. I. u too much. please dont compare bought of them again. mode 9 is a good rapper. thats it.
M. I. makes it look easy.

M. I. wins in a 2nd round K.O.
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by rapjunkie(m): 1:34am On Mar 05, 2009
audio:

@ Rapjunkie. I thought you didn't like Mode9?

Of COURSE I LIKE MODE9!!!!

The only prob i have with Mode is 'deathblow part2'  Rugged didn't reply part 1 so it is what it is.

He has everything it takes to be a national superstar but he needs direction. He needs to stop listening to all these so called heads who don't buy into the music. He needs a new 'musical' direction. We all know he is one of the best ( without doubt!) lyricists in naija.  He can certainly take naija hip hop to a whole new level but he needs to make songs to also connect with the 'local' audience. They are the people who will actually go out AND BUY into his music. He can do this without 'selling' out.

How can you lose credibility because you have  'commercial'  hits. Thats a smart move. Everybody knows Mode 9 can ryhme and is a lyricist. If you doubt him then you get taken out. Ask Rugged wink

But he needs to switch up his style in certain songs and watch the money roll in. His refusal to do that doesnt make sense.

He just needs a cross over hit. Imagine if HE had the 'originality' beat with Faze just on the chorus AND switched up his 'usual Mode 9' style of lyricism and flow? Imagine the possiblities? I know exactly what this guy needs to do and how he can do it. If anybody knows this cat tell him to send me an email and i can hook him up on the downlow. Na so e be.  wink
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by follypimpi(m): 2:28am On Mar 05, 2009
Mode 9 Ko,Median 9 ni. Mr Incredible of course/
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by rapjunkie(m): 3:02am On Mar 05, 2009
MI tends to rhyme words together just becos he can. This makes it all sound 'clever' and 'complicated'. It gets grating after a while and sometimes it can sound like nursery rhymes. Childish. 'Get together' is a typical example.

The chorus is nice but his ryhming structure dey give me headache. His flow in a majority of his songs suffers as a consequence. Also most of his beats make u wanna fall asleep!!Not a bad thing but makes his album seem like 'easy listening' music. Anybody remember the Lighthouse family? Yeah, like that.

But thats his style. Different strokes for different folks. Lets keep it nice and safe. No pun intended. grin

Nothing wrong with 'Area' though. Its one of the best songs out of Naija for me at the moment. YQ nails it!!!!!!!!

I also like 'fast cars' alot.  Is he singing on 'Forever'? If he is, the guy try ohh!!. Nice song.

MI only has one album so its a bit early to already start comparing him with Mode.
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by smurf1(f): 3:10am On Mar 05, 2009
MI, mr incredible it is for me ohh!! grin grin
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by freelance(m): 3:59am On Mar 05, 2009
mi
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by kkkossy(m): 7:38am On Mar 05, 2009
U ppl shud stop comparing mode9 wit oda artists,iv had enough already! M.i is certainly beta because more of naija music lovers dey feel am.mode9 may b a lyricist but dat doesn't count.wat counts is d audience listen 2 it.nobdy dey feel mode9 because im no get pattern of rappin.imagine him rapping both in pidgin and normal english yet im no dey sell.let me asks,hw many of you hv mode9 album? M.i is d best 4 nw because we dey feel am. Kapish!!
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by Bamsyle(m): 10:02am On Mar 05, 2009
Modenine.

Rapj, I got 5 words for you:

You have said it all.

I like your analysis, especially on Mode's potential to blow but the need to up his game and also connect with the 'local' audience. Nigeria has a standard for 'hit songs' that's quite different from that of other jurisdictions . . . and yes - he can do this without selling out or losing credibility . . .

I agree also on MI. Again, you've said it all.

@topic

I can't begin to compare MI to Mode . . . apart from the fact that he's got only one album for now, he's still very new on the block . . . plus I'm sure a great percentage of Naija audience would definitely prefer MI - he's got mainstream appeal, doesn't cuss (dude did not even need the "Explicit Content" warning on his album), has ladies appeal, and sounds marketable . . .

But when you want Rap on a deeper level, it's got to be Mode . . . Mode says a lot of great stuff that get unheard/unnoticed cos of his brash delivery . . . lots of metas and wordplay . . . if he can up his game to have a mainstream appeal, MI wouldn't even dare touch him with a 5000 meter pole . . .

MI is looking good . . . very promising aspirant for the throne . . . but for now, Mode's still the better rapper of the two.

Last word - MI vs. Rugged would be more interesting for me . . . both are on the delivery thingy (though MI does more wordplay) . . . Mode is mainly on a 'lyrical journey' so I really see no basis for comparison.
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by dejiariyo: 10:27am On Mar 05, 2009
well,i will surely take modenine over M.I he is good but the way he raps is not doing it for me, i always like to know what brings a word out of a rapper and i need to know the meanings and why u just used the word at a particular time, modenine does that all M.I does is just wordsplay and join words together but to call him a lyricist is a bold statement but dude is ill and doing his thing.

Jay-z hollered he's feeling my rhyme/
thats where it started and ended i didnt get signed/
but i still rock-a-fella t-shirt to the shrine, modenine

i solo like isolo, M.I
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by khanye(m): 12:01pm On Mar 05, 2009
rapjunkie:

Of COURSE I LIKE MODE9!!!!

The only prob i have with Mode is 'deathblow part2' Rugged didn't reply part 1 so it is what it is.

He has everything it takes to be a national superstar but he needs direction. He needs to stop listening to all these so called heads who don't buy into the music. He needs a new 'musical' direction. We all know he is one of the best ( without doubt!) lyricists in naija. He can certainly take naija hip hop to a whole new level but he needs to make songs to also connect with the 'local' audience. They are the people who will actually go out AND BUY into his music. He can do this without 'selling' out.

How can you lose credibility because you have 'commercial' hits. Thats a smart move. Everybody knows Mode 9 can ryhme and is a lyricist. If you doubt him then you get taken out. Ask Rugged wink

But he needs to switch up his style in certain songs and watch the money roll in. His refusal to do that doesnt make sense.

He just needs a cross over hit. Imagine if HE had the 'originality' beat with Faze just on the chorus AND switched up his 'usual Mode 9' style of lyricism and flow? Imagine the possiblities? I know exactly what this guy needs to do and how he can do it. If anybody knows this cat tell him to send me an email and i can hook him up on the downlow. Na so e be. wink

Did'nt know you've got . . . . . . . . . . wink
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by rapjunkie(m): 12:03pm On Mar 05, 2009
dejiariyo:

thats where it started and ended i didnt get signed/

grin
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by dejiariyo: 1:02pm On Mar 05, 2009
thats where it started and ended i didn't get signed/

@rapjunkie, i don't think there is any Nigerian rapper that can ever wordsplay this good,i dont know how the dude thinks i swear he is just a genius.
i showed one of my friend here in the UK that line and he still never believed its was a Nigerian that came up with that.
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by Caliente(m): 1:23pm On Mar 05, 2009
[size=13pt]MI is the best three cheesy cheesy [/size]
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by rapjunkie(m): 1:30pm On Mar 05, 2009
dejiariyo:

@rapjunkie, i don't think there is any Nigerian rapper that can ever wordsplay this good,i dont know how the dude thinks i swear he is just a genius.
i showed one of my friend here in the UK that line and he still never believed its was a Nigerian that came up with that.

Funny your friend would say that. angry

Mode9 can be nice with the ryhmes AND there are MANY others too including MI who can rhyme.  cool
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by otobiloba1(m): 2:03pm On Mar 05, 2009
hmmmm

dnt even try to ask who is better but it reads who you prefer. i bought the two albums and beleive me mi is it. i like mode nine but i'd prefer mi now
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by javalove(m): 4:59pm On Mar 05, 2009
Ur chic is nothing but a hoarl to me,
I can write an album quateryl/
punchlines is easy/
our relationship is two hard drives in a pc/
slave and master
kiss my - - - for shizzy/
all hail the super lyricist modnizzy!!!

or

In this rap thing. i m bound to be the last man standing/
God forbid but if i fall of, i land a good landing/
I'll throw sand in ur food if u eva try to crunch me/
u got weak lines, but u still wanna bungee/

or

Call me the nicest [/b]with the [b]wickEd [/b]lyrics/
i drop a paradox and i walk with - - -
listen [b]up
as i try down [/b]at my release/
. . .

right after an emcce's feast,
lyrical beefs, rise like yeast on a loaf/
bring the crowd to life, by killing them with the flow/
. . .
i sowrn not to take an oath, always keep it [b]real
/
but most times m dropping fiction [/b]to prove skill/
example, the mode rap [b]well [/b]but m [b]ill

heaven [/b]knows m as nice as [b]hell/
i defeat crews hands down ring the bell
Now walk [/b]with me as i [b]run [/b]things/
[b]lock it down
with the freestyle, that i slit/
i'm king [/b]in the [b]subject [/b]of ur discussion/
[b]collide [/b]with my lyrics, leave them [b]concussions
/
i'm rushing all those who oppose/
the ones keeping flat footed rappers on their toes/

the black knight could wish u good night, so have a bad day/
I got cane [/b]but the [b]nine [/b]dont play (canine)/
ur resume got the naked truth covered up/
i'm raw but i keep my private parts rubbered up/
, . . . .
i [b]handle [/b]microphones well, to [b]kick [/b]verses
Anyone who nurses grudge, put it to bed/
else u want see this [b]black man
turn eric the red . .
. .

and so on man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

even if u threw ur leg up and hit the referee assistant with ur right foot,u wudnt kick a lines man/
a modenine track with no punchlines, man thats a rummenige like paul ince man
u like a blind man . . u cant see me
i put u on defensive like paulo maldini
u wanna beat me cos i got more game dan safari/
why dont rappers use their heads like victor agali,
no food for thought, y'all staright up starving
and my head like scuravi, better than the villian/
my cold flows brings more AC to milan . . .

or

Listen up, if u cant raise them dont make them/
Cos its ridiculous to forsake them/
Or watch an orphanage and a foster home take them/
Infant mortality is on the rise rapidly/
Plan ur family if u wanna live happily/
Educate ur kids about sex, dont be scared trust me/
Its the best ting, though it sounds weired/
And be careful, wat u do around ur children/
Cos the copy any and everything around them/
Thats whay their TV should be on PG/
Never leave them idle make them pick up a hobby/
I aint gonna raise my kids on teletubbies/
Teach them aw to be polite, speak well read and write/
Cos in the future, they go take care of u/
Never spare the rod, but dont make them too scared of u/

DID I HEAR YOU SAY MI THE PRINCE, MODE THE KING? YEAH U RIGHT MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ITS MODENINE FOR ME OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MODENINE IS A LYRICAL MUFASA!!!!

THE SPARTAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT EVEN COMPARE MI TO RUGGED OOOO, COS RUGHEAD CANT BE PLACED ANYWHERE IMO.!!!!

HE S TOO WACK!!!
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by DBR: 7:23pm On Mar 05, 2009
Personally i think the two shuddnt be compared, but it's on so lets do it.
For me i see M.i s the maintream and more musical side of M9.
I also suspect an M9 lyrical influence on M.i
These two are ma Fav rappers now.
There last album Talk bout it and PS are 9ja's hiphop cclassic collections.
For the influence i talked bout consider this-
Y'all know i'v been sayin M9 king M.i the heir?
Check this out.

bite if u fit cos i pen all my cyphers in java script-M9
study my script like java-M.i

ur not ill, u'r a hypochondriac., got no style, plus u imagine that-M9
dude say he was really ill, like a hypochondriac like a cheap , -M.i

U'r just beaten APPLE sufferin from PEAR(peer) presure-M9
U want APPLE so i bought a PEAR(pair)-M.i

All the other dudes talkin bling bling, no  men im different-M.i
Bling bling bubble gum rap, i dont feel that-M9

Mi rockin high swing it like a sword like a blade-M.i
sitin on the score board like im swingin war sword slashin all u wack guys-M9

straight hair like perming tool-M9
i can get ur hair right like a hair salon/-M.i

ma plans are workin out who needs aerobics -M9
that ma tongue do aerobics-M.i

try to play god stop me the hiphop renaissance/-M9
im the the impressionist of the 21st century-M.i

u fast food, the game is for the Fly thats why im aeroplayin/-M.i
the game is meant only for  the bravehearts , u get shot down if u'r not the Flyest/-M.9

Nigga takin aim at the back of us/-M.i
Little kids wanna take shot but dont know what the weapon is/-M9

i satisfy u like the aftermath of safe sex-M9
dont F with me cos it aint safe sex-M.i

I saw the big picture didnt have u in it-, picture me like jpegs-M9
im the big picture like 1gig Jpeg-M.i

i mastered the Arts but i still drop science/-  M9
reach u classically fantastically i mastered the art u bastards-M.i
Drawin inspiration from the beat like i read Art--M9

My album too hot u cant shelf me/-M.i
my album hot so u whisk it off the shelf/-M9

flyer than the upper echelon/-M.i
U messin with the Upper echelon/-M9

i raised the bar for lyrics y'all can do the limbo under it
cos ur whole style is confetti-M9
see it's a pity but ur witty flow is confetti -M.i

These is just few i can whip up for now.
Worthy of note is that The M.i lines are form his recent ILLIGAL MIXTAPE and few from TALK BOUT IT
While none is from M9's latest effort PS but from his earlier works.
So when i say what M9 has spat in the past still drop jaw u now see wat i'm talkin bout.
So do i hear M9 king and M.i heir,  again?
oNe

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by rapjunkie(m): 7:42pm On Mar 05, 2009
@ Javalove
@DBR

You guys are on another something!!! grin grin grin grin        You don't mess about when it comes to lyrics.

@DBR

Not trying to stir controversy but there are a few startling similarities between the lines you put up there of Mode & MI. Too many to be coincidental, get what i'm saying?

Hmmmmm!!!!
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by audio: 7:44pm On Mar 05, 2009
There is more to hiphop than just dropping punchline after punchline. If you check the lyrical of all the top rappers, they are all story tellers. Their rapping about something. weaving a tale together using words, simile and verbs as their yarn.

It doesn't matter who you are, if you have some idea of rhyming structure and you sit down long enough with a dictionary and theasaurus, you will be the punchline king in no time.

Listen to the big hits - Stan by Eminem, Hero by Nas, My life - The Game, Get up - 50cent. They're telling stories not just dropping punchlines for the sake of it. In a freestyle or battle fine, but it's not enough for actual songs on an album. After the 3rd song, i always get bored.

My personal opinion
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by rapjunkie(m): 7:54pm On Mar 05, 2009
audio:

There is more to hiphop than just dropping punchline after punchline. If you check the lyrical of all the top rappers, they are all story tellers. Their rapping about something. weaving a tale together using words, simile and verbs as their yarn.

It doesn't matter who you are, if you have some idea of rhyming structure and you sit down long enough with a dictionary and theasaurus, you will be the punchline king in no time.

Listen to the big hits - Stan by Eminem, Hero by Nas, My life - The Game, Get up - 50cent. They're telling stories not just dropping punchlines for the sake of it. In a freestyle or battle fine, but it's not enough for actual songs on an album. After the 3rd song, i always get bored.

My personal opinion

I agree.  Also the more you use them the less effective they are. But Mode has got better punchlines/wordplay than MI  and I'm a bit concerned about MI's originality after seeing DBR's recent post
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by otobiloba1(m): 8:14pm On Mar 05, 2009
am impressed. all em peeps here have got depth
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by aieromon(m): 8:16pm On Mar 05, 2009
definitely Mister Incredible!!!
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by dejiariyo: 11:45pm On Mar 05, 2009
@audio
i yu saying modenine dont tell stories?he is one of the few rappers in nigeria that tell stories and i thinkk that brought me to his music maybe u need to listen to tracks like
africa,lagos state of mind,cry 419 state of mind,journey so far and and some from his latest album.
Re: Modenine And Mi:which Do You Prefer? by DBR: 6:58am On Mar 06, 2009
rapjunkie:

@ Javalove
@DBR

You guys are on another something!!! grin grin grin grin        You don't mess about when it comes to lyrics.

@DBR

Not trying to stir controversy but there are a few startling similarities between the lines you put up there of Mode & MI. Too many to be coincidental, get what i'm saying?

Hmmmmm!!!!

@
rapjunkie

For ME, lyrics is key, it shows me ur tot process,
how deep or shalow ur are, how cerebral or how lame u are.
Yea, no controversy intended, i only wanna  show the INFLUENCE,
See, M9 made pple pay attention to puttin in work into their lines.
it's not that M.i is bitin, dude got some nice lines too all by himself
It's just that when u hear a line that makes u scratch ur head,
it propells u to wanna do a variation of it, most times Unconsciously too.

Example:
U'r just beaten APPLE sufferin from PEAR(peer) presure-M9
U want APPLE so i bought a PEAR(pair)-M.i

U can see the variation in the above.
M.i is a good lyricist in his own right, but like i always say M9 still has the custody of that lyrical crown.
The two of 'em M9 and M.i are 'bout the only rappers who beyond just droppin metas,punchlines
paint poetic pictures and tell stories with their words.
M9, M.i the 2 most incredible out of 9ja!
oNe

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Have You Ever Heard Murphy Ijemba Of Brila Fm / VIDEO: Wizkid - Picture Perfect [DOWNLOAD] / DOWNLOAD MP3: Burnaboy - "20/10/2020"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.