Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,470 members, 7,819,718 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

OPINION: Time For Code Of Conduct For Lawmakers. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OPINION: Time For Code Of Conduct For Lawmakers. (671 Views)

Osinbajo Appoints Chairman, Members For Code Of Conduct Bureau / Saraki At The Code Of Conduct Tribunal For False Asset Declaration (photos) / 'Plot To Quash Saraki’s Code Of Conduct Trial At The Court Of Appeal' - SR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPINION: Time For Code Of Conduct For Lawmakers. by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 12:38pm On Jul 05, 2015
Ever since the eight National Assembly came into being, Nigeria has not known peace. Night, it is always said would show the day. One prays that the current crisis would not be the Hallmark of this National Assembly. Decorum has fled the lawmaker's chambers. Every session is always rowdy. The tone had been set by the two chambers that this particular assembly would be trailed by quarrels and altercations, when against what has been described as the party's stand of the election of the leaders of the two chambers, the lawmakers asserted their independence to vote for people of their choice.

We have seen where lawmakers exchange blows with few of the them having their cloth torn. Indeed, what is happening today is not new, it has always been the case since this democratic journey began in 1999. Arguments among adults who are expected to be role models denegerating into fist-cuffs.
The indiscipline, expectedly is not restricted to the National Assembly. It is the same with the state's House of Assembly too. There was a similarly occurrence in the Benue House of Assembly. As the lawmakers of the APC and their PDP counterparts also in a free for-all. Trouble started when the APC demanded to be given the slot of the majority leader on account of the defection of an expelled PDP lawmaker to APC. The PDP did not agree to this because they felt the defector's set should be have declared vacant. The speaker refused to declare the seat vacant, leading to hot exchange which eventually lead into a brawl, with exchange of blows by the two parties.
The house eventually adjourned to forestall further violence and prevent blows being landed in sensitive positions. I always wonder what would happen if any of these lawmakers should loss a tooth in the process of this pugilistic exercise. How do you explain to your children at home that you lost your teeth or sustained certain degree of injury in the hallowed Chambers. It is not for nothing that these chambers are declared "hallowed".
It is supposed to be a place of respect where proper human conduct should be on display. Populated by highly respected human beings. Unfortunately, that has not been so. There was a particular incident last year that shown the whole world the level of immaturity of these lawmakers. The majority leader of Zamfara state House of Assembly, Honourable (Although there was nothing honourable in his behavior) Salisu Musa had engaged the state governors' senior driver, Mallam Idris in a fight over a woman.
The driver had taken offence at what he consider the relationship between Musa and the lady he claimed to be making marriage plans with. The lawmaker, in his defence was said to have claimed that the driver had no legal tie to the young woman as "he (driver) had never met her parents to legitimize the relationship" adding that his relationship with the lady was strictly business. The two now adjourned to a corner where they engaged in physical combat. Very dirty and shameful.
Nigerians were equally treated to this regular show of shame last year when Edo Lawmakers and their Rivers state counterparts also went into physical combat leading to injury to the participants.
From the above, it is obvious that our lawmakers are not epitome of propriety. It is shameful that such unruly, uncouth set of people who can not control their anger and who flare up at the slightest provocation would preside over the affairs of this country and make laws for me and you. So what to do? Nigerians should call for an end to this disgraceful behaviour. Why must we be assaulted all the time by this disgraceful behaviour? It is obvious that the irresponsible actions will continue unless there is a way to regulate the lawmaker's conduct. And that is why I am suggesting that there should be a code of conduct for them. The code of conduct should also spell out penalties for anybody found guilty of contravening it. I do not know weather there is a disciplinary committee in the National Assembly to oversee the working and conduct of the lawmakers, presently, if we do not have that, then it is important to start planning towards it.
Punishments such as withholding of allowance, suspension without pay should be ways to keep them in line. We all know that the fight is about personal interest and what comes to who, so hitting their pocket would be a major deterent. Maybe we shall have an end to the unruliness that reigns in our hallowed chambers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OPINION: Time For Code Of Conduct For Lawmakers. by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 12:51pm On Jul 05, 2015
CC: Barcanista, whynotthetruth, dearpreye, passingShot, midolian, IbnSultan, Berem, Obiagelli, NgeneUgwuenu, modart,Agarawu23, Donphillipus, MizMyColy and other mates in the house. Sorry if I did not mention you.

CC: ISHILOVE, LALASTICLALA.
Re: OPINION: Time For Code Of Conduct For Lawmakers. by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jul 05, 2015
Thank you @OP but unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to help it. Each of the parliaments have Committee on ethics and discipline but again it is their business. Left for me, they can use pump action against themselves as long as they are confined in their chambers.
Re: OPINION: Time For Code Of Conduct For Lawmakers. by midolian(m): 1:12pm On Jul 05, 2015
I strongly agree with you OP. These you have here are not different from my thoughts.

Was watching channelsTV yesternight when the shameful scene was shown and I shook my head. The way the so called "honourable" raised his weapon(seat) to attack his fellow "honourable" gave him away to be a thug from birth. It was 'kayefious'.

Buh just as u rightly stated, nt until there is a "strict" penalty for animalistic behaviours in the house, this will continue to happen without caution. Its just sad that our lawmakers will neva do anything about it cos they know it will affect them directly.
Re: OPINION: Time For Code Of Conduct For Lawmakers. by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 1:13pm On Jul 05, 2015
barcanista:
Thank you @OP but unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to help it. Each of the parliaments have Committee on ethics and discipline but again it is their business. Left for me, they can use pump action against themselves as long as they are confined in their chambers.

lol.
Re: OPINION: Time For Code Of Conduct For Lawmakers. by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 1:22pm On Jul 05, 2015
midolian:
I strongly agree with you OP. These you have here are not different from my thoughts.

Was watching channelsTV yesternight when the shameful scene was shown and I shook my head. The way the so called "honourable" raised his weapon(seat) to attack his fellow "honourable" gave him away to be a thug from birth. It was 'kayefious'.

Buh just as u rightly stated, nt until there is a "strict" penalty for animalistic behaviours in the house, this will continue to happen without caution. Its just sad that our lawmakers will neva do anything about it cos they will affect them directly.

We all know they are doing this for the sake of their pockets and not for those who voted them in.
Re: OPINION: Time For Code Of Conduct For Lawmakers. by midolian(m): 1:25pm On Jul 05, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:

We all know there are doing this for the sake of their pockets and not for those who voted them in.
sure! Why would they fight for us? They are representing themselves and their family na. Wat do u think? Lol
Re: OPINION: Time For Code Of Conduct For Lawmakers. by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 1:36pm On Jul 05, 2015
midolian:
sure! Why would they fight for us? They are representing themselves and their family na. Wat do u think? Lol

Imagine a lawmaker came from work with his face swallon and torn cloth.
Children: What happen to you, dad?
Wife: I told you to go for a boxing coach ever since you won this election but, you refuse, now see what has happen to you.
Re: OPINION: Time For Code Of Conduct For Lawmakers. by midolian(m): 1:57pm On Jul 05, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:

Imagine a lawmaker came from work with his face swallon and torn cloth.
Children: What happen to you, dad?
Wife: I told you to go for a boxing coach ever since you won this election but, you refuse, now see what has happen to you.
lol
Re: OPINION: Time For Code Of Conduct For Lawmakers. by agarawu23(m): 4:01pm On Jul 05, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:

We all know they are doing this for the sake of their pockets and not for those who voted them in.
same reason why I cant die for any politician
Re: OPINION: Time For Code Of Conduct For Lawmakers. by PassingShot(m): 6:43am On Jul 06, 2015
This is what happens when good people refuse to participate in politics.

The problem we have is not the absence of rules (code of conduct) for there are standing rules to guide the conduct of the so-called "honourables". The fundamental problem is the shortage of responsible men and women in our own brand of politics. And this shortage is largely brought about by the do-or-die brand of our politics which is also a result of humongous returns (salaries and allowances) guaranteed by being a politician in Nigeria.

This problem will NOT go away any soon until we find a way to make our politics far less attractive. It is only when that is achieved we will begin to see men and women of credible character becoming our honorable members and not the drug barons, the scammers, the treasury looters, etc.
Re: OPINION: Time For Code Of Conduct For Lawmakers. by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 11:38pm On Jul 23, 2015
See what I have been talking.

(1) (Reply)

Stop This Borrowing Madness / Jonathan Caused Pdp’s Defeat —ogunlewe, Ex Minister Of Works / Caption This Photo Of Barrack Obama Back In Those Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.