Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,175 members, 7,835,920 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

I Choose To Obey God - US Court Clerk Resigns Instead Of Issuing License To Gay - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Choose To Obey God - US Court Clerk Resigns Instead Of Issuing License To Gay (465 Views)

Okorocha Tells Priests & Laity In Ahiara Diocese To Obey The Pope’s Directive / Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis / When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Choose To Obey God - US Court Clerk Resigns Instead Of Issuing License To Gay by BabylonCruise(m): 8:30pm On Jul 05, 2015
Popular U.S county clerk who has served for 24 years has chosen to resign instead of issuing marriage licenses to same sex couples.

In a letter to the board of supervisors, Grenada County Circuit Clerk, Linda Barnette announced her resignation on Tuesday, citing the Supreme Court's decision to legalize same-sex marriage. She has been the circuit clerk for 24 years, and announced that her resignation is effective immediately. In her resignation letter, she said:
"The Supreme Court's decision violates my core values as a Christian. My final authority is the Bible. I cannot in all good conscience issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples under my name because the Bible clearly teaches that homosexuality is contrary to God's plan and purpose for marriage and family.

I choose to obey God rather than man. I am a follower of Christ and I believe strongly that the Bible is my final authority. The Bible teaches that a marriage is to be between a man and a woman.

Therefore, because of the recent ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court, I can no longer fulfill my duties as Circuit Clerk and issue marriage licenses to same sex couples.

I had already decided in my heart that I could not issue marriage licenses to same sex couples. It’s my Christian belief. As a follower of Christ, I could not do it. What the bible teaches is contrary. Christians are being put to the test. We’re going to see the true Christians who stand. It’s going to be time to stop talking the talk. It’s going to come down to that.

I want to thank the citizens of Grenada County for giving me the honor of serving as their circuit clerk. I choose to obey God rather than man," Barnette wrote.

Mrs. Barnette is married to a pastor who worked with Billy Graham Ministries for many years, so when it came to choosing between her job and her faith – there never was any real debate.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Choose To Obey God - US Court Clerk Resigns Instead Of Issuing License To Gay by Ofeakwu(m): 8:31pm On Jul 05, 2015
Re: I Choose To Obey God - US Court Clerk Resigns Instead Of Issuing License To Gay by dulux07(m): 8:45pm On Jul 05, 2015
This is a true xtian, who puts God first in everything they do, not those ones that compromise. If we had many pple lik this, the world would be a better n sane place to live in.

1 Like

Re: I Choose To Obey God - US Court Clerk Resigns Instead Of Issuing License To Gay by Fkforyou(m): 5:41pm On Jul 06, 2015
Double post
Re: I Choose To Obey God - US Court Clerk Resigns Instead Of Issuing License To Gay by Fkforyou(m): 5:43pm On Jul 06, 2015
This lady wherever she may be has my respect, not for anything but the fact that she stood for something she believed in. It may seem unwise unreasonable and intolerance on her part to some people, but I totally respect her conviction.

(1) (Reply)

Leave Bruce Jenner Alone / Inhabitants Of The Earth / Do Catholics Really Pray To Mary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.