Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,281 members, 7,849,984 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:32 PM

WWC 2015 FINAL: USA Mauled Japan 5-2 To Win Third World Cup Title - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / WWC 2015 FINAL: USA Mauled Japan 5-2 To Win Third World Cup Title (460 Views)

VIDEO: Nigeria Beat Japan 5 - 4 (Rio Olympics) / Semi Final: USA Vs Colombia Match Highlights / Sevilla Fight Back To Win Third Europa League Title (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

WWC 2015 FINAL: USA Mauled Japan 5-2 To Win Third World Cup Title by dammybravo(m): 6:01am On Jul 06, 2015
USA mauled Japan 5-2 in the Women World Cup final to become the first nation to win the trophy three times.

Carli Lloyd scored a hattrick, to be the first player to ever do so in a world cup final, as she inspired the United States to a 5-2 demolition of defending champions Japan on Sunday.

The United States, have won the trophy in 1991 and 1999, and made it three in sunday's demolition after avenging their loss to Japan on penalties in the 2011 final.

Lloyd, 32, scored a 13-minute hattrick opening with her first after just three minutes on the pitch at Vancouver’s BC Place Stadium with the second coming two minutes later, and her third after 16 minutes.

USA Coach, Jill Ellis said her only thought after the early goal-fest was: “Pinch me, wake me up!”

“We’d talked about starting fast, and I just knew that the players could deliver.

“These players were born for the big moments,” she added. “I envisaged us winning the trophy. I think five (goals) is a dream come true.”

It was the third meeting between the two teams in a major championship with the Americans winning the Olympic gold ahead of Japan in 2012, when Lloyd scored both goals in a 2-1 win.

Japan coach Norio Sasaki said he had tried to warn his japanese players of midfielder Lloyd, who was playing up front alongside Alex Morgan, but his shouts were drowned out by the crowd.

“I tried to tell them but they couldn’t hear me,” he said. “Miss Lloyd, she always does this to us. In London she scored two and here she scored three.

“We’re really embarrassed, but we really respect and admire her, she deserves the golden ball.”

US star Abby Wambach was handed the captain armband as she came on, in the last ten minutes.

“I wanted her to put the armband on because she’s done so much for our team. It’s her last World Cup and she’s a legend,” said Lloyd.

http://www.dammydudu.com/2015/07/wwc-2015-final-usa-mauled-japan-5-2-to-win-third-world-cup-title/
Re: WWC 2015 FINAL: USA Mauled Japan 5-2 To Win Third World Cup Title by Stoja: 9:18am On Jul 06, 2015
Do you know?

Vancouver (AFP) - Carli Lloyd became the first woman to score a hattrick in a World Cup final as she inspired the United States to a 5-2 demolition of defending champions Japan on Sunday.

The United States, winners in 1991 and 1999, became the first nation to win the crown three times, following a rematch of the 2011 final where they lost to Japan on penalties.

http://getlistednigeria.com/?p=17612

(1) (Reply)

Ibrahimovic Ready For Man United Move Even With Bad Van Gaal Relationship / Ighalo Opens Epl Account / Mourinho - We Will Not Miss Cech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.