Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,504 members, 7,861,443 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 12:27 PM

Life Advice: things You Wish Knew About Life Earlier - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Life Advice: things You Wish Knew About Life Earlier (559 Views)

Amazing Animal Facts You Never Knew. / Life Advice / Some Of The Most Motivating And Inspiring Quotes About Life(Photos). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Life Advice: things You Wish Knew About Life Earlier by Lazymanhead(m): 11:54am On Jul 08, 2015
Some months back, a friend of mine asked me, if I was given the privilege to travel back in time, let's say ten years, what would I do differently?
That was thought provoking. But I could not answer him immediately. Let's just say I didn't answer him at all. But when I got home, I did put some things down in my Evernote which has somewhat, been serving as my diary.

Here they are:

I wish I gave less f**k about people's opinion:
Opinions are cheap and anyone could afford one. During my teens, I lived my life through people's view of me. People saw me as this cool kid, so I didn't want to appear uncool to them. I guess my idea of wrong.

Here is an example, there was this girl I wanted to date in a church where I worshipped back then. One of the coolest people I've ever met. But every other person's Idea of her was wrong. So I avoided her, in fact, I didn't want people to see her with me. You can imagine an height of arrogance by me. I was the douche. We eventually dated, but it didn't last, I guess by the time I realised who she truly she was, it was already late.

I am now dating the woman of my dream, but I could have treated her better. Or anyone for that matter.
I only sighted this an example, there many more ways care too much about people's opinion.

The PSALMIST say, search your with due diligence, out of it comes forth the real truth.

I wish I cared less about how other people live their lives:

Another height of arrogance by people. Why would anyone want other to be like him, I don't know. Who ever invented morality.... I am short for words. Sometimes wishing people have cause for happiness is better, and that could go on to change them, rather than wishing they were who we want.

I wish I started reading earlier:
about ten years ago, I read my first book- RICH DAD, POOR DAD. I read books while in school, but this was actually my first book outside school. This book changed the way I thought and I went on to start my first business at 19 with some friend.

But poor me, I never read any books again until everything crashed. I had lose touch with my source of inspiration which was books. After I became broke, I found my way back to books and within the space of 2 years I have read well over 350+ books and the change has been immense. I am way better now. Now if there is one thing you won't see me without, that would be books.

I wish I knew how to lean on non family members more:
while we were growing up, my mum, a very hardworking person, would prefer we gave to people and not the other round. It was cool to give, but a taboo to take. Except from a family member. Why she did that I don't know. Now after stumbling on some psychologists like Brene Brown's works, I realised it was a vulnerability problem.

Fast track to my hardship days, it was those friend who leaned on me that I ran to. Some family members could care less. Some of those of friends acted like a brother more than some of my own blood brothers. I later learnt you can't truly give, until you learn to receive wholeheartedly.

I wish I trusted my gut more:
we waste a lot of time thinking about decisions that won't change our lives. Growing up, I asked almost every one close to me before I made little decisions.

I wish I knew the power of connection earlier:
Few years back, I designed this very cool network equipment, at least so I thought. I tried marketing it to totally strangers. And the result? No one bought it. Little did I know people buy from who they know. It might be indirectly, but there is almost always a link. I was an introverted nerd who was too shy to even make a friend. I thought PADI PADI was only a Nigerian thing.

I am not saying connect with every Tom, dick and Harry, if do that you'd keeping a lot of time wasters in your life, but you can deliberately connect with people you think you might need in years to come. Greet them, help, just be good. Read Never Eat Alone for more on this...

I wish I set boundaries earlier:
Do I really need to talk about this? But again, set boundaries, show people their limit in your life. I failed to this earlier, and I could tell 90% of it was the reason why my first businesscrashed. Funny things is, none of those people were not seen when problems came.

I wish I knew about forgiveness earlier:
Not christian forgiveness/God one . Forgiving people wholeheartedly... This has contributed to 40% of my happiness.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Hilarious MTN message! AT Dangerous Minute To End!! Crazy MTN! / Stranded (accomodation Badly Needed) / See How Sahara Reporters Blooper Was Corrected By A Fan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.