Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,834 members, 7,866,248 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 01:53 PM

My "pikin" Killers Must Be Punished! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My "pikin" Killers Must Be Punished! (669 Views)

People Who Failed To Use Pedestrian Bridges In Lagos Punished (pics) / Man Punished By Soldiers In Lagos For Crossing An Express Road / OBJ Wants Bribe Givers & Takers To Be Punished (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My "pikin" Killers Must Be Punished! by Afaukwu: 5:01pm On Mar 06, 2009
My Pikin: Judge remands CEO, others in prison custody
By Tony Amokeodo
Published: Friday, 6 Mar 2009
A Federal High Court in Lagos, on Thursday, remanded the Chief Executive Officer of Barewa Pharmaceutical Limited, Kola Okunlola in Ikoyi Prison, following his alleged involvement in the production of a contaminated teething mixture- My Pikin.

Skip to next paragraph

Photo file
my pikin syrup

Justice Okechukwu Okeke also directed that two officials of the firm, Adeyemo Abiodun and Egbele Eromosele, should be remanded.

Okunlola who wore blue Ankara looked calm when he was brought to court about 9.05am

The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control had arraigned the accused on a six-count charge that bordered on manufacturing of adulterated drug (My Pikin baby teething mixture).

They were said to have engaged in the act with the intention of causing death or grievous bodily harm to members of the public.

According to NAFDAC, the offence is contrary to sections 1 (18) (a) (ii); 1 (18) (b) (ii) of the Counterfeit and Fake Drugs and Unwholesome Processed Foods (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act No 25 of 1999.

If convicted, the accused might be sentenced to between five and 15 years with an option of fine.

NAFDAC also claimed that the accused committed the offence in October 2008 at Barewa Pharmaceutical Limited, 1-5, Olugbo Close, Shasha Road, Akowonjo Lagos.

The agency also alleged that the accused distributed, sold, conspired and changed materially, the quality or efficacy of the contaminated drug without notice to the purchasers.

The charge sheet dated March 2, 2009 was signed by a Senior State Counsel, A.K. Alilu, on behalf of the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice.

When the matter came up yesterday (Thursday) the lawyer to NAFDAC, Mr. Kingsley Ejiofor, told the court that the agency had filed a six-count charge against the accused and urged the court to allow them take their pleas.

The accused, however, pleaded ‘not guilty’ to the charge.

The lawyer to the accused, Mr. Osaro Eghobamien (SAN), told the court that he would soon file a bail application and urged the court to fix a date for the hearing of the bail application.

Justice Okeke later adjourned the case till May 4.

The Director-General of NAFDAC, Dr. Paul Orhii, and other officials were also present in court during the proceedings.

(1) (Reply)

Tsvangirai Nearly Die In A Car Crash, His Wife Was Not That Lucky / Uk-based Nigerians Plan To Embarrass Obasanjo In London / Atiku Wants Emergency Declared On Education

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.