Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,587 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - (2325 Views)

Photos Of The Nigerian Students Detained In Turkey Over Failed Coup Attempt / 6 Truths About Difficult Project Supervisors & What You Can Do / 10 Signs That You Are A 'Half-Baked' Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by shachris02: 3:00pm On Jul 08, 2015
Turkey was never a Christian country. Turkey is a modern Republic which was formed in 1923, prior to which it was the Ottoman empire (third largest empire in the history of mankind). The state religion of the Ottoman Turkish Empire was Islam, but ALL other religions were tolerated. Subjects had the privilege to retain their religious beliefs but had to pay taxes if they were not Muslim. The Turks arrived in waves into Asia minor dating from the 9th century AD forward and adopted Islam under Arabic rule. Prior to their contact with Islam the religion of the Turks (there were and still are dozens of different tribes) was a shamanistic based nature religion that worshipped Tanri the Celestial God. With the demise of the once mighty Roman empire Christianity withdrew from the Anatolian mainland territory into Thrace or further into Europe. Since true Islam does not prosecute other religions, Christians, Jews and other religions have traditionally existed to the present day within modern Turkish society. Turkey was NEVER predominately Christian.

A History of the Religions in Turkey

The established presence of Islam in the region that now constitutes modern Turkey dates back to the latter half of the 11th century, when the Seljuks started expanding into eastern Anatolia. Islam is the main religion of the Turkish people in Turkey, where 99.8% of the population is nominally Muslim according to the CIA World factbook.[1] According to religiosity polls 97.8% of the population is Muslim.[2] Most Muslims in Turkey are Sunnis, forming about 72%, and Alevis of the Shia denomination form about 25% of the Muslim population.[3] There is also a Twelver Shia community representing 3% of the Muslim population.[4][5]

The secularization of Turkey started in the society during the last years of the Ottoman Empire and it was the most prominent and most controversial feature of Atatürk's reforms. Under his leadership, the caliphate—the supreme politico-religious office of Islam, and symbol of the sultan's claim to world leadership of all Muslims—was abolished. The secular power of the religious authorities and functionaries was reduced and eventually eliminated. The religious foundations were nationalized, and religious education was restricted and for a time prohibited. The influential and popular mystical orders of the dervish brotherhoods (Tariqa) also were suppressed.

Although Turkey was secularized at the official level, religion remained a strong force at the popular level. After 1950 some political leaders tried to benefit from popular attachment to religion by espousing support for programs and policies that appealed to the religiously inclined. Such efforts were opposed by most of the state elite, who believed that secularism was an essential principle of Kemalist Ideology. This disinclination to appreciate religious values and beliefs gradually led to a polarization of society. The polarization became especially evident in the 1980s as a new generation of educated but religiously motivated local leaders emerged to challenge the dominance of the secularized political elite. These new leaders have been assertively proud of Turkey's Islamic heritage and generally have been successful at adapting familiar religious idioms to describe dissatisfaction with various government policies. By their own example of piety, prayer, and political activism, they have helped to spark a revival of Islamic observance in Turkey. By 1994 slogans promising that a return to Islam would cure economic ills and solve the problems of bureaucratic inefficiencies had enough general appeal to enable avowed religious candidates to win mayoral elections in Istanbul and Ankara, the country's two largest cities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Turkey

Radio Biafra Should Stop feeding People lies.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by shachris02: 3:03pm On Jul 08, 2015
listen to radio Biafra at your own risk.

6 Likes

Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jul 08, 2015
Nawa ooooo

Dats all i can say

2 Likes

Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by shachris02: 3:04pm On Jul 08, 2015
LueDaveLOVESYOU:
Nawa ooooo

Dats all i can say

this is the kind of half truth the albino use to indoctrinate his zombie followers.

7 Likes

Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by Stalwert: 3:07pm On Jul 08, 2015
The radio of hate must be shut down

3 Likes

Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by shachris02: 3:09pm On Jul 08, 2015
Stalwert:
The radio of hate must be shut down

instead of my people to promote radio stations that would help them develop further as a people and conquer the rest of Nigeria, they are promoting a radio station that degrade them as humans.

3 Likes

Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by MzJackBaueress(f): 3:14pm On Jul 08, 2015
Noblezone,what do you have to say?
Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by shachris02: 3:15pm On Jul 08, 2015
The only way a sovereign Nation can be islamized is by conquest. If Buhari wants to islamize Nigeria, then he should be ready for war with Nigeria and her allies and all allies of Christianity. There is no democratic way to islamize a country.

People should stop thinking with their anus. And who says it's only igbos that would be affected if there is any Islamic threat to Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jul 08, 2015
OP, get your facts right before you start ranting..
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_Turkey

1 Like

Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by shachris02: 3:17pm On Jul 08, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Noblezone,what do you have to say?

Noblezone does not beilive in Nnamdi kanu. I respect him sha but we are not ready for Biafra yet. The only war we should be fighting right now is how to occupy Nigeria and not some small landlocked region called biafra.

2 Likes

Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by shachris02: 3:19pm On Jul 08, 2015
Tydies:

where in you silly article did it say that turkey was once a christian state? Paste it here and let's see.

1 Like

Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jul 08, 2015
Turkey (Anatolia), was Catholic and Greek was its main language until 1000 AD. Most of its inhabitants were Christian, as one of the first Roman provincia. In 1071 however, parts of it were conquered at the battle of Mantzikert by Arp Arslan (Turkish) from the Byzantine emperor. From then, more and more of Anatolia became Turkish. These Turks came from Central Asia. In 1453, Constantinopolis/Byzantium (Istanbul) was also conquered, and it became the capital of the Ottoman empire. Its state religion was the Islam. In the 20th century, the majority of the Anatolian population was Turkish, though large Greek (Christian) minorities remained. In the 1920s, when Atatürk conquered Ionia (Western Anatolia) from Greece (which Greece got after the treaty of Sèvres), almost all Greeks moved from Turkey to Greece, and all Turks from Greece to Turkey. And then, almost all Christians had left Turkey. That's how it happened. But you do have to remember, that it is not the 'people' that were taken over by the islam; the land was taken over by islamic people. There were no Muslim leaders who forced to convert Christians, the Christians left the country while the Muslims came.
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkije#Rel...

3 Likes

Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 08, 2015
Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by shachris02: 3:29pm On Jul 08, 2015
Tydies:
Turkey (Anatolia), was
Catholic and Greek was its main language until
1000 AD. Most of its inhabitants were Christian,
as one of the first Roman provincia. In 1071
however, parts of it were conquered at the
battle of Mantzikert by Arp Arslan (Turkish)
from the Byzantine emperor. From then, more
and more of Anatolia became Turkish. These
Turks came from Central Asia. In 1453,
Constantinopolis/Byzantium (Istanbul) was also
conquered, and it became the capital of the
Ottoman empire. Its state religion was the
Islam.
In the 20th century, the majority of the
Anatolian population was Turkish, though large
Greek (Christian) minorities remained. In the
1920s, when Atatürk conquered Ionia (Western
Anatolia) from Greece (which Greece got after
the treaty of Sèvres), almost all Greeks moved
from Turkey to Greece, and all Turks from
Greece to Turkey. And then, almost all
Christians had left Turkey. That's how it
happened.
But you do have to remember, that it is not the
'people' that were taken over by the islam; the
land was taken over by islamic people. There
were no Muslim leaders who forced to convert
Christians, the Christians left the country while
the Muslims came.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkije#Rel...

Turks are not Antonians. Turks conquered Antonia, just like Romans conquered many territory.

Turkey as a people, i mean the conquerors of Antonia were never christian.

And if you do not know, if you conquer a region in those days, they become captives and you can impose your religion on them if you want.

2 Likes

Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by Panshow(m): 3:33pm On Jul 08, 2015
Honestly, when I first heard of this Turkey religion thingy, I search all the net to see if I can get any info of sort but to know avail. I think some people are trying to use the gullible to achieve their dubious aims.

1 Like

Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by shachris02: 3:35pm On Jul 08, 2015
Panshow:
Honestly, when I first heard of this Turkey religion thingy, I search all the net to see if I can get any info of sort but to know avail. I think some people are trying to use the gullible to achieve their dubious aims.

that is they kind of lie they feed people on radio biafra. and they are too lazy to make any research. They just swallow it hook, line and sinker. Zombies.

1 Like

Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by papparatzzi2013: 3:36pm On Jul 08, 2015
I hope the pastor also remembered to tell you how Christians conquered Spain and Portugal from the moslems and changed their names from Andalusia.

Are we not even ashamed of ourselves? Why is it that it is only Africans that jettisoned everything about them becase the Oyibo man said they are evil. We jettisoned our traditional faiths and embraced the religion of Arabs and Jesus Xt.

The Asians did not abandoned their culture, religions, languages etc and are they not better off today than Africa? China, japan, South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, India etc

2 Likes

Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by shachris02: 3:38pm On Jul 08, 2015
papparatzzi2013:
I hope the pastor also remember to tell you how Christians conquered Spain and Portugal and changed their names.

Are we not even ashamed of ourselves? Why is it that it is only Africans that jettison everything about them becase the Oyibo said they are evil. We jettison our traditional faiths and embraced the religion of Arabs and Jesus Xt.

The Asians did not abandoned the culture, religions, languages etc and are they not better off today than Africa? China, japan, South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, India etc

I tire, brother.
Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by papparatzzi2013: 3:41pm On Jul 08, 2015
Panshow:

Ottoman empire led by Ottoman Sultan Mehmed (21years) conquered Constatinople a roman city and the gatewa between Asia and Europe. He defeated the army led by Emperor Constantine XI.

The young ruler changed the name of the town to Istanbul and turned the church to mosque.

1 Like

Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 08, 2015
shachris02:

Noblezone does not beilive in Nnamdi kanu. I respect him sha but we are not ready for Biafra yet. The only war we should be fighting right now is how to occupy Nigeria and not some small landlocked region called biafra.

first you claimed to be Igbo.........now i see a fallacious identity of a yoruba or mid western idd.iot going into a vocal spree just to show the world his level of ignorance.
Why do you listen to Radio Biafra, yet you tell others not to listen to it Abi SSS don pay u 2 start a cyber campaign against the invincible? You go tire!! Let people listen to Radio Biafra and judge for themselves. So back off b.itch!!
Now, the turkey issue shows the extreme of ur ignorance.......................... Before muhammad was born, there were armenian christians in many parts of present day turkey. The seven churches in the book of revelation were all in present day turkey.

Its just like denying the existence of babylon. Presently, babylon no more exists but it not negates the fact that babylon once existed.

So get ur facts straight and get urself educated you egg brain!!!
Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by omololu2020(m): 3:46pm On Jul 08, 2015
Afin
Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by shachris02: 3:46pm On Jul 08, 2015
basbone:

first you claimed to be Igbo.........now i see a fallacious identity of a yoruba or mid western idd.iot going into a vocal spree just to show the world his level of ignorance.
Why do you listen to Radio Biafra, yet you tell others not to listen to it Abi SSS don pay u 2 start a cyber campaign against the invincible? You go tire!! Let people listen to Radio Biafra and judge for themselves. So back off b.itch!!
Now, the turkey issue shows the extreme of ur ignorance.......................... Before muhammad was born, there were armenian christians in many parts of present day turkey. The seven churches in the book of revelation were all in present day turkey.

Its just like denying the existence of babylon. Presently, babylon no more exists but it not negates the fact that babylon once existed.

super story. give us the link to your story.

Before Islam, the Turks worshiped Idols. I hope you know that paganism existed before Christianity? So what's your point?
Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by shachris02: 3:47pm On Jul 08, 2015
basbone:

by the way, you are a first class A-HOLE
Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by ACM10: 4:07pm On Jul 08, 2015
You should enrol for history class. Turkey was once part of Byzantium, with the capital at Constantinople. While Christianity was their state religion. Hajia Sophia which is now a mosque in Istanbul was a famous church built by emperor Justin.
Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by shachris02: 4:17pm On Jul 08, 2015
ACM10:
You should enrol for history class. Turkey was once part of Byzantium, with the capital at Constantinople. While Christianity was their state religion. Hajia Sophia which is now a mosque in Istanbul was a famous church built by emperor Justin.

Before the Roman empire, they were Pagans. So what's your point exactly?

Besides, i am speaking of present day Turkey which was formed by Turks after the conquered in 11th century.
Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by CyberWolf: 4:17pm On Jul 08, 2015
OP you are an ediot..you are using Wikipedia as your reference? You are a clown
Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by shachris02: 4:18pm On Jul 08, 2015
CyberWolf:
OP you are an ediot..you are using Wikipedia as your reference? You are a clown

Zombie, give us a better reference.
Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by Holywizard: 4:59pm On Jul 08, 2015
Y re yorubas haters?

They might all die b4 our true independence then i'll then take over Nairaland...... .
Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by shachris02: 5:00pm On Jul 08, 2015
Holywizard:
Y re yorubas haters?

They might all die b4 our true independence then i'll then take over Nairaland...... .

Here comes a zombie. grin

1 Like

Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by Holywizard: 5:34pm On Jul 08, 2015
shachris02:

Here comes a zombie. grin
pawpaw yansh
Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by orogodoganyin(m): 5:36pm On Jul 08, 2015
Tydies:

turkey as a country, was never christian
Re: Radio Biafra And Half Truths - TURKEY Was Never A Christain State - by obayaya(m): 5:39pm On Jul 08, 2015
shachris02:
Turkey was never a Christian country. Turkey is a modern Republic which was formed in 1923, prior to which it was the Ottoman empire (third largest empire in the history of mankind). The state religion of the Ottoman Turkish Empire was Islam, but ALL other religions were tolerated. Subjects had the privilege to retain their religious beliefs but had to pay taxes if they were not Muslim. The Turks arrived in waves into Asia minor dating from the 9th century AD forward and adopted Islam under Arabic rule. Prior to their contact with Islam the religion of the Turks (there were and still are dozens of different tribes) was a shamanistic based nature religion that worshipped Tanri the Celestial God. With the demise of the once mighty Roman empire Christianity withdrew from the Anatolian mainland territory into Thrace or further into Europe. Since true Islam does not prosecute other religions, Christians, Jews and other religions have traditionally existed to the present day within modern Turkish society. Turkey was NEVER predominately Christian.

A History of the Religions in Turkey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Turkey

Radio Biafra Should Stop feeding People lies.

Constantinople was the capital of the early Christian church at a time. There was a conflict whether rome or Constantinople is the true capital of the Catholic Church.

Do you know another name for Constantinople?

Constantinople is the present day Istanbul - the capital of Turkey

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pgd Or Pgde / English Teachers In The House. Pls i need help on INFORMAL LETTER WRITING / Download JAMB Past Questions For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.