Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,653 members, 7,823,849 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Oliseh To Be Or Not To Be - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Oliseh To Be Or Not To Be (648 Views)

Sunday Oliseh Appointed As Head Coach Of Fortuna Sittard (Dutch Club) / Sunday Oliseh To NFF: "Pay Us Now We Are Alive"; " We Do Not Owe You" - NFF / Sunday Oliseh To Emerge As Nigeria's New Coach - BBC Sport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Oliseh To Be Or Not To Be by chrisooblog: 4:07pm On Jul 08, 2015
COACH SUPER EAGLES: 6 REASONS WHY OLISEH SHOULD BE HIRED (AND 4 WHY HE SHOULDN’T)

Unless you are just coming in from the crab nebula in the outer reaches of space then it should no longer be news that the NFF have done away with the services of Stephen Keshi (again!) in an on again off again relationship whose melodrama would beat many a Spanish telenova for sheer suspense but don’t let me bore you further with gist that has become staler than two month old agege bread in the mouths of Nigerians. There have been conflicting stories in the news media about the purported engagement of Sunday Oliseh as the new coach of the Super Eagles. My aim in this article is not to exam the veracity of these reports or otherwise but to proffer 6 reasons why hiring Oliseh is next best thing after bottled alomo and 4 why its not such a good idea.

6 REASONS WHY
1. HE’S NIGERIAN
As in duh! I know my people would say but please hear me out. The history books show us that all the teams that have won the FIFA world cup have been coached by indigenous coaches so if we want to win the world cup anytime soon history shows us that local is best as for the nation’s cup if keshi with his limitations could win us one then Oliseh who has arguably better tactical knowledge should also be able to win as well. Plus being a Nigerian he would know how we think and behave so would know what to expect from the NFF, fans and players alike and there won’t be any excuse of getting acclimatised to the environment

2. QUALIFICATIONS
Out of all the coaches we have locally he has the most up to date UEFA coaching pro license badges . His years in Europe working with club sides and technical study groups have helped him garner enough in-depth knowledge of the game both technical and tactical which would be invaluable to the national team set up also not forgetting his stint working with FIFA would have given him further exposure and knowledge of high wire international football politics.

3. RESPECT
As a successful former national team player and captain that alone would be enough to command respect from our players but his intellectual football brain would I’m sure further convince our players of his suitability. Like Keshi Oliseh was a leader of men during his playing days so the will and desire to win will surely rub off on the players

4. STRAIGHTFORWARDNESS
Call Oliseh arrogant call him temperamental but no one can say he’s not straightforward. You can trust him to call bulls**t if the NFF or players step out of line. He will not tolerate mediocrity nor lack of professionalism on the part of our players or incompetence from the football authorities. Hopefully his name and international standing would see the end of the player bribe for invitation nonsense

5. INEXPERIENCE (I)
Ordinarily you might say it’s a bad thing but I see it as a good thing. For one because he has been on the outside looking in he would be able to address the problems bedevilling the super eagles in a fresh innovative manner. Yes even though he hasn’t coached any major team that is not enough reason to disqualify him after all what experience did Klinsmann (Germany) and Gaurdiola (Barcelona) have before successful stints with them

6. EXPOSURE
With his international exposure he would have built up a number contacts and associates he can network with when issues of camping site, scouting and club release of players come up

….AND REASONS WHY NOT
1. EGO
Let’s be honest Oliseh is a very proud confident man. Knowing how ego filled and stubborn our players can be most times that would be a recipe for constant clashes and divisions within the team plus if the NFF continue with their meddlesomeness then you can be sure that keshi’s run ins with them would look like an afternoon siesta if they cross Oliseh
2. INEXPERIENCE (II)
Its one thing to talk the good talk but handling egotistical players, frustratingly incompetent FAs and ignorant demanding fans in mother Africa is another. Can’t say if he has the temperament to juggle all this truth be told

3. LOCAL PLAYERS
Based on his past comments I doubt if Nigeria based players would be favoured that much

4. TEMPERAMENT
Oliseh seems to have mellowed with age but in the pressure cooker that is the super eagles coaching job it could bring out the rage in him. NFF, fans. Players, media you have been warned

CONCLUSION
It’s a big risk but a worthwhile one NFF over to you

(1) (Reply)

Merrybet Now For A Massive Welcome Bonus Daily / Eyewitness Account Of What Happened In Camp Between Oliseh And Enyeama. / Why Mourinho Was Sent To Stands At West Ham

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.