Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,830 members, 7,817,424 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:03 PM

Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? (1900 Views)

Opinion: Why Messi Is Still Better Than Ronaldo (screen Shots) / Nigeria vs Honduras: Rio2016 - Whats your expectation for 3rd Place / Lionel Messi Is Dead! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by sojihandsome: 4:12pm On Jul 08, 2015
Lenard Gondwe > SPORTSLINE
I won't write an article about Messi, no, I won't waste my time on it. Even the biggest critic will now agree with me that he's been overrated over the years. It's only a mad man that will open his mouth and call him the greatest footballer of all time. 2 goals in 2015 Copa america which were all penalties, no goal from the 2010 world cup, wasn't that outstanding in 2014 world cup, 2015 Copa america (the two biggest tournaments where world stars showcase themselves) yet someone deem it fit to call him the greatest. Before yesterdays final, Argentine fans were asked who is better between Messi and Maradona, ALL WENT FOR MARADONA!
If Messi leaves La Liga to another league, he will turn to average immediately! I won't waste my time on him. Am vindicated at last. You can do it at Barca but not with Argentina with such abundance of stars? What happened? A fan said, Messi is sorrounded by bottlers in Argentina. I told him, so Aguero, Higuain, Di Maria, Mascherano, Lavezzi, Tevez, Pastore, Rojo, Demichelis, Zabaleta are bottlers? What should we now call Nani, Varela, Moutinho, Perrera, Almelda, Veloso? Bunch of what?
Messi disappears when his nation needs him. He isn't even Argentine best player. Mascherano is. I watched the Copa and found out that Messi didn't do his solo runs as usual. He was dodging his legs from those brutal tackles. This is why I respect De lima alot. He took on those defence and totally destroyed them. Fans of Messi are now ashamed of him, Argentine fans boo him, he can't stand where Maradona is, he is just a fluke player, a one sided player. MESSI IS OVERRATED!
Zidane, Pele, De lima, Ronaldinho, Maradona, Romario ALL did it for their nation. If you can't do for your nation then it's shameful. Until Messi wins the world cup, copa america, leaves Barca to another club or another league, scores up to 1290 goals to surpass Pele, NOBODY, should open his mouth and call him The Greatest. It's an insult

WHATS YOUR TAKE ON THIS?
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by MJBOLT: 4:43pm On Jul 08, 2015
This Lenard Gondwe must be a mad man..He knows nothing about football

3 Likes

Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by IGLE25(m): 5:16pm On Jul 08, 2015
Na craze dey worry the man.....
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by Skillfullulu(m): 5:21pm On Jul 08, 2015
That's y he hardly performs outside barca team.
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by MJBOLT: 5:52pm On Jul 08, 2015
Skillfullulu:
That's y he hardly performs outside barca team.
undecided messi is a u20 FIFA world cup winner and a Olympic gold medalist for his country......
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by Skillfullulu(m): 6:59pm On Jul 08, 2015
MJBOLT:
undecided messi is a u20 FIFA world cup winner and a Olympic gold medalist for his country......
the hype wasn't this much then, when u over hype a player he performs below expectations, trust.
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by Krasid(m): 7:09pm On Jul 08, 2015
MJBOLT:
We are talking about senoir national team tournaments not youth competitions where Mikel was the 2nd best player then.
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by Krasid(m): 7:12pm On Jul 08, 2015
He failed to show up in 2 Finals for his NT under a year.I think the OP made a few decent points.
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by blueandbirds(m): 7:13pm On Jul 08, 2015
Dumb write up, don't you guys gets tired of messi dis messi dat, for crying out loud he is human jus like the op and the stupid writer of dis articul, is he the only one playing for argentinal nation team? He took dem to 2 finals he played is part as a normal player, wat of the other players dat are playing in the argentine team? Are day not humans too? If messi can't deliver let dem aswell do the job afterall day are being payed jus like him so Bleep all dis shit, he won't kil himself for argentinal team, he has tried to win trophys for dem but he is jus unfortunate and dat is life for u..

1 Like

Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by tuffgongjo(m): 8:29pm On Jul 08, 2015
One word to sum up the write: Stuuupid.
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by Krasid(m): 8:39pm On Jul 08, 2015
Point of correction OP, he scored 1 goal which was a penalty despite having the most shots(27) in the just concluded CA.
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by Krasid(m): 8:44pm On Jul 08, 2015
blueandbirds:
Dumb write up, don't you guys gets tired of messi dis messi dat, for crying out loud he is human jus like the op and the stupid writer of dis articul, is he the only one playing for argentinal nation team? He took dem to 2 finals he played is part as a normal player, wat of the other players dat are playing in the argentine team? Are day not humans too? If messi can't deliver let dem aswell do the job afterall day are being payed jus like him so Bleep all dis shit, he won't kil himself for argentinal team, he has tried to win trophys for dem but he is jus unfortunate and dat is life for u..
So his fans finally admit that he is human.I thougt he was "out of this world", "the greatest of all time".

1 Like

Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by blueandbirds(m): 12:08am On Jul 09, 2015
Another cr7 fan spotted, and mind you, you can't compare football of now adays wit the olden days it is very different...
Krasid:
So his fans finally admit that he is human.I thougt he was "out of this world", "the greatest of all time".

1 Like

Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by Nobody: 1:12am On Jul 09, 2015
dude just hasn't had luck with his NT. I don't blame him tho. He's still one of the greatest tho. But "The Greatest Player That Ever Lived"?? Nah....i still have reservations about that
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by Krasid(m): 8:56am On Jul 09, 2015
blueandbirds:
Another cr7 fan spotted, and mind you, you can't compare football of now adays wit the olden days it is very different...
Of course, football back then was very difficult with the poor pitches, thick leather ball and players were not as protected as they are now.
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by pabloaimar(m): 9:15am On Jul 09, 2015
Lionel Messi is a great player, though I can't say the greatest the world has ever seen but he is surely a delight to watch, Copa America is just like our own African nations cup base on the physical presence of players in the game (hard tackling , show-boating etc), but that doesn't take the shine out from messi, first of all, he was used as a winger so u can't compare him to the likes of Edson arantes dos Nascimento(Pele) or Ronaldo de lima in terms of goal scored, have u checked his statistics in this just concluded Copa America? Remember he made 3 assist in their semi-final tie, during last world cup, he was instrumental in taking them to the finals of the competition (no thanks to palacio & higuain, he would have won the world cup then), yes,.. His argentine team mates did well in terms of defending but when they needed a goal.... Messi provides one or assist in giving them the goal, as for him moving to other clubs to prove his worth, I say that is lame, have you asked yourself how many times has messi come out with his share-brilliance to rescue Barcelona from an impossible task? (1st leg champions league semi-finals against bayern Munich is one example), don't wanna compare him with Cristiano Ronaldo because it will not be fair to Messi, Presently, I would say that Messi is in a class of his own but he is not yet the greatest footballer ever. Since he is still 27 years of age, I can say that he "might" achieve that feat in the nearest future.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by Judolisco(m): 9:39am On Jul 09, 2015
frm ur rage u r a ronaldo fan wat has ur nigga won for his country ....as for nt movin 2 other clubs outside spain dis guy shows brilliance in matches of uefa.....op uve never nd u will neva c any like messi if he is nt d greatest he is d best ave ever seen ask ronaldo
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by sojihandsome: 12:35pm On Jul 09, 2015
let's look at messi's Argentina to his barca performance. He's flop at his home countrie's performance than his club. But don't compare his team mates to the portugues counterparts. The first thing that make me see messi is overrated was 2010, when we saw sneilder captured all d medals for his club(inter millan) n make it to the world cup final. Messi's Argentina were knocked out by the German machines with 4 goals down. And yet messi with only 1 laliga title, emerged as the best player when sneider won all the titles that his club played. what do you see to that
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 2:07pm On Jul 09, 2015
sojihandsome:
let's look at messi's Argentina to his barca performance. He's flop at his home countrie's performance than his club. But don't compare his team mates to the portugues counterparts. The first thing that make me see messi is overrated was 2010, when we saw sneilder captured all d medals for his club(inter millan) n make it to the world cup final. Messi's Argentina were knocked out by the German machines with 4 goals down. And yet messi with only 1 laliga title, emerged as the best player when sneider won all the titles that his club played. what do you see to that
so are you saying that ronaldo would have won the world cup or copa america with this argentinian team?
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by Krasid(m): 5:57pm On Jul 09, 2015
ClintonNzedimma:

so are you saying that ronaldo would have won the world cup or copa america with this argentinian team?
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by Krasid(m): 6:04pm On Jul 09, 2015
ClintonNzedimma:

Nobody knows, but I don't see any reason why Messi cannot lead this team to success.In the past, the Argentine defence has always been the loophole to the Arg NT, but in the last couple of years they have been rock solid.What could Messi's excuse be? I wonder what he would have done if he was playing alongside Almeida, Eder, Varela.
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by lamborghinifcb(m): 7:55pm On Jul 09, 2015
oops...why are ppl so dumb lyk dis 4 crying out loud each tym d national team of Argentina gt defeated in d final hurdle of a tournament, y'all open ur stinking mouth and put the blame on d poor boy LEO....I want to believe football is a team game and not individual game....where were u when Higuain and Palacio missed two glorious chances at the last world cup in Brazil? so Messi should think 4 them n ow to put the ball inside the net ryt? SMH!!! dis same Higuain missed a sitter @ d jst concluded copa america final as wel.....no one is putting d blame on him or is Higuain not an argentine? ok....I kno u ll tel me Messi is the star man....agreed he is! but then he needs the support of his team to deliver....he can't do it all alone....get that into ur cranium bloody haters! I kno som of ya 'Ronaldo fanatics' ll tel me Ronaldo dos it all on his own....u must b a joker....tel Ronaldo to play in a team like Stoke or hull wifout d likes of james, modric, ozil, rooney, moutinho, nani and c if he ll score up to a decade of goals. and fo dos fools that kip saying Messi should play in another club fo im to be consider d best ever.....are u telling me Maldini is not the best defender of all time coz he didn't play outside d four walls of Ac milan.....abi what d u say bout Giggs, scholes, Gerrard, Xavi and co.....just ti mention a few....berra find another point to use against d little genius coz dat one is totally out of it! mind u RONALDO DE LIMA didn't win the champions league throughout out his wonderful career, are u telling me now coz khedira (4 example) is a better player fo Madrid dan delima was coz he won d champs league? a question fo u haters to ponder over And just in case u ain't aware LEO hs got mor goals for the national team of Argentina than Maradona during his playing days and u keep saying he doesn't play well fo the Argentina national team? mtcheew....c'mon haters! leave the poor boy alone for once!!!!

1 Like

Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jul 09, 2015
MESSI is no god!!
difference btw messi n ronaldo= talent/hardwork
the guy was just lazy at the copa america.....the passion is missing which is what ronaldo has......
That passion n hunger for success is the key.
THE NEMESIS OF ALL THIS INSULT TO MESSI IS HIGUAIN...IF HE HAD SCORED IN THE WORLD CUP AND COPA AMERICA FINALS.
People no for dey insult Messi by now!

1 Like

Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by ambrosini593(m): 9:21pm On Jul 09, 2015
The op must a ronaldo fan. Your ronaldo has never carried Portugal beyond second round of any competition and you are here spilling trash about messi. Your points here are baseless and full of hate and jealousy. I doubt if you truly watched the just .concluded copa America. Messi was instrumental all through. There's no fifa or football rules that says a player need to change club to prove he's one of the greatest. Your thread needs to go recycle bin
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by pabloaimar(m): 9:30pm On Jul 09, 2015
lamborghinifcb:
oops...why are ppl so dumb lyk dis 4 crying out loud each tym d national team of Argentina gt defeated in d final hurdle of a tournament, y'all open ur stinking mouth and put the blame on d poor boy LEO....I want to believe football is a team game and not individual game....where were u when Higuain and Palacio missed two glorious chances at the last world cup in Brazil? so Messi should think 4 them n ow to put the ball inside the net ryt? SMH!!! dis same Higuain missed a sitter @ d jst concluded copa america final as wel..... one is putting d blame on him or is Higuain not an argentine? ok....I kno u ll tel me Messi is the star man....agreed he is! but then he needs the support of his team to deliver....he can't do it all alone....get that into ur cranium bloody haters! I kno som of ya 'Ronaldo fanatics' ll tel me Ronaldo dos it all on his own....u must b a joker....tel Ronaldo to play in a team like Stoke or hull wifout d likes of james, modric, ozil, rooney, moutinho, nani and c if he ll score up to a decade of goals. and fo dos fools that kip saying Messi should play in another club fo im to be consider d best ever.....are u telling me Maldini is not the best defender of all time coz he didn't play outside d four walls of Ac milan.....abi what d u say bout Giggs, scholes, Gerrard, Xavi and co.....just ti mention a few....berra find another point to use against d little genius coz dat one is totally out of it! mind u RONALDO DE LIMA didn't win the champions league throughout out his wonderful career, are u telling me now coz khedira (4 example) is a better player fo Madrid dan delima was coz he won d champs league? a question fo u haters to ponder over And just in case u ain't aware LEO hs got mor goals for the national team of Argentina than Maradona during his playing days and u keep saying he doesn't play well fo the Argentina national team? mtcheew....c'mon haters! leave the poor boy alone for once!!!!

you have said it all, don't know why haters keep on talking down on Messi, he is a better player compared to Ronaldo, without Messi... Barcelona is just a "good team" but Messi males it a "great team" by now I believe that with what he did to Bayern Munich at Camp Nou will make haters accept the fact that Messi is not in the same league with Ronaldo or any other player presently plying their trade worldwide, Hater give it a rest the boy is just 27years old which means is the "peak age" for professionals and he has achieved alot already, please sentiment should not find its cause here, Messi is a world class player and he is in a league of its own.
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by likata: 9:53pm On Jul 09, 2015
messi duty in national team is to supply good passes to the strikers. how can messi be blamed for this..

Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by lamborghinifcb(m): 2:21am On Jul 10, 2015
pabloaimar:

you have said it all, don't know why haters keep on talking down on Messi, he is a better player compared to Ronaldo, without Messi... Barcelona is just a "good team" but Messi males it a "great team" by now I believe that with what he did to Bayern Munich at Camp Nou will make haters accept the fact that Messi is not in the same league with Ronaldo or any other player presently plying their trade worldwide, Hater give it a rest the boy is just 27years old which means is the "peak age" for professionals and he has achieved alot already, please sentiment should not find its cause here, Messi is a world class player and he is in a league of its own.

don't mind them jhare....they just keep hating on the little maestro.....either they like it or not he is the best player of his generation by far and as to dier usual argument of him bn the best of all time or not, dats a debate for when he finally decidez to put a stop to whats bn a fabuloz career already...msg to haters==> berra relax yasef and sit down to watch dis little god exhibit watz he s got in hx armoury so you have something to tel ur grandchild or grandchildren whatever the case maybe about!
Re: Messi Is Overated Whats Your Take On This? by yoji: 5:19am On Jul 10, 2015
Anybody comparing todays star footballers with those of the past doesn't know much about football. Football has evolved greatly over the years and the era of one man leading a team to glory in a tournament is over.
this is largely because other members of the team hv evolved to a level that now has thier skill levels matchin that of the offensive star players. We are now in an era that emphasis is now on the team and not a player as evidently show by the recent successes of the Spanish and German national teams.
Maradona and pele, as great as they were can't try what they did with the defenders and midfielders of this era. We now hv keepers that act as sweepers which give more confidence to their defenders, we now have teams playing with two defensive midfielders, we now hv teams that change formation while the game is ongoing to match events on the pitch, etc
Even Chiles success wasn't built round Alexis who was the star man going into the tournament. He had an average tournament by his standards.
Messi and Ronaldo will make mockery of the past defenders easily. The evolution of football makes them two of the greatest ever seen.
Even when Germany won the world cup, there was no consensus best German player, some said neuer, some said lahm, some said Mueller, others said kroose, etc
James Rodriguez stormed the last world cup as an unknown quantity and became a star, then got found out and marked out of the tournament cos Colombia had enough players to achieve more.
Under these circumstances, messi is easily the best player ever seen.

(1) (Reply)

Photos: Enyimba Fc New World Class Stadium Is Second Largest Playing Field In / Fashanu Begs Tammy Abraham’s: Don’t Make The Same Mistake I Made / N1000 - N10million Nairagold Betting Rollover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.