Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,074 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

Econometrics - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Econometrics (540 Views)

Strange Test Econometrics Question In UNILAG / Can Anyone Analyse & Interpret Data (econometrics)? / Call For Your Advance Statistical And Econometrics Analysis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Econometrics by Cuteamigo1(m): 6:33pm On Jul 08, 2015
Its an assignment that was given to the class and most of the materials i have are not clear enoungh for me to use them for d assignment. Pls here is the question,
why is the ols(ordinary least square) estimator regarded as "best linear and unbiased estimator"?. Thank you all as you answer
Re: Econometrics by Udoka89: 7:32pm On Jul 08, 2015
Given the following two assumptions, OLS is the Best Linear Unbiased Estimator (BLUE). This means that out of all possible linear unbiased estimators, OLS gives the most precise estimates of and .

With the third assumption, OLS is the Best Unbiased Estimator (BUE), so it even beats non-linear estimators. Also given this assumption, is distributed according to the Student's t-distribution about , and is distributed in such a way about .

No HeteroskedasticityEdit
The variance of the Error terms are constant. . This means that the variance of the error term does not depend on the value of . If this is the case, the error terms are called homoskedastic. This is not always the case in economic data, for example the variation in a person's wage will vary with their level of education -- someone who is a high-school dropout will not have much variation in their wage, where people with Ph.D.s may see very different wages.

No Serial CorrelationEdit
The error terms are independently distributed so that their covariance is 0. .

Normally Distributed ErrorsEdit
The error terms are normally distributed.
Re: Econometrics by Udoka89: 7:34pm On Jul 08, 2015
Der are some symbols like. Alpha nd beta I can't type them out but if u really need to go tru de whole stuff I could send u a link
Re: Econometrics by Cuteamigo1(m): 9:52pm On Jul 20, 2015
Thank you very much for the response, i appretiate it. Yeah pls share the link
Re: Econometrics by Cuteamigo1(m): 9:53pm On Jul 20, 2015
Udoka89:
Der are some symbols like. Alpha nd beta I can't type them out but if u really need to go tru de whole stuff I could send u a link
udoka tanks. Pls send the link to me.

(1) (Reply)

Mapoly Admission / CIPM Exam / Funaab Post Utme I̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊ Out.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.