Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,071 members, 7,818,200 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Happy World Population Day!! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Happy World Population Day!! (1148 Views)

Happy World Meal Gate / Nairaland 2017 Population Census: Rep Your State. / 62 Richest Own As Much As Half The World Population. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Happy World Population Day!! by joywendy(f): 7:54am On Jul 11, 2015
"With nearly 60 million individuals having fled conflict or disaster, women and adolescent girls are particularly vulnerable. Violent extremists and armed groups are committing terrible abuses that result in trauma, unintended pregnancy and infection with HIV and other diseases."

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon

As the world population edged to 7 billion people in 2011 (up from 2.5 billion in 1950), it has had profound implications for development. A world of 7 billion is both a challenge and an opportunity with implications on sustainability, urbanization, access to health services and youth empowerment.

In 1989, in its decision 89/46, the Governing Council of the United Nations Development Programme recommended that, in order to focus attention on the urgency and importance of population issues in the context of overall development plans and programmes and the need to find solutions for these issues, 11 July should be observed by the international community as World Population Day.
The theme for 2015 World Population Day is Vulnerable Populations in Emergencies. The world is seeing a record number of people displaced by crises – some 60 million according to the latest UN figures. UNFPA works in emergency settings around the globe to respond to the rights and needs of women and girls, helping them maintain their dignity, securing their safety, and restoring their access to sexual and reproductive health care.

Source
Re: Happy World Population Day!! by joywendy(f): 8:03am On Jul 11, 2015
8 facts about the National holiday taking place today

The day was started by the United Nations: In 1989, the Governing Council of the United Nations Development Programme suggested that July 11 be set aside as World Population Day, according to the United Nations Population Fund website.

The world population is more than 7.32 billion: Here is a handy counter to keep track.

Every year has a theme: Each year's World Population Day focuses on a particular problem. In 2015, the U.N.'s theme is to "raise awareness of the needs of vulnerable women and girls" in emergencies, especially concerning displaced people. The theme is officially titled “Vulnerable Populations in Emergencies,” according to a statement from Dr. Babatunde Osotimehin, executive director of United Nations Population Fund. The statement said the women in particular face particular health threats, including sexual exploitation and a greater risk of abuse, among displaced individuals.

There is a record number of forcibly displaced people: The figure was at nearly 60 million by the end of 2014, according got Osotimehin's statement.

There are reasons for population growth and resulting implications: In the last 200 years the world population has increased sevenfold. Here's how that happened and what the results are, according to the United Nations Population Fund site: "This dramatic growth has been driven largely by increasing numbers of people surviving to reproductive age, and has been accompanied by major changes in fertility rates, increasing urbanization and accelerating migration. These trends will have far-reaching implications for generations to come."

You can keep track of the day on Twitter: The day has an official hashtag. Check out #WPD2015 to follow along.

The population is projected to keep growing: The world population is expected to be more than 9 billion by 2050.

One organization has a cheeky giveaway in honor of the day: The Center for Biological Diversity will be giving away 10,000 condoms for World Population Day. The idea is to show the impact the growing human population has on endangered species like monarch butterflies and polar bears. The giveaway will take place in 28 states where the endangered species are most prevalent. 

Source
Re: Happy World Population Day!! by joywendy(f): 8:36am On Jul 11, 2015
Cc:lalasticlala,Ishilove
Re: Happy World Population Day!! by joywendy(f): 8:06pm On Jul 11, 2015
Na wa oh, no comments just 17 views abi did I post in the wrong section
Re: Happy World Population Day!! by cao(f): 8:18pm On Jul 11, 2015
joywendy:
Na wa oh, no comments just 17 views abi did I post in the wrong section
Pele...I don view 'em.

1 Like

Re: Happy World Population Day!! by joywendy(f): 12:29pm On Jul 12, 2015
cao:

Pele...I don view 'em.

Lol,of course you have. grin

I guess the topic isn't of interest to many people.
Re: Happy World Population Day!! by cao(f): 6:35pm On Jul 12, 2015
joywendy:

Lol,of course you have. grin

I guess the topic isn't of interest to many people.
Put it in a pair of bum shorts....GBAM! Y'all are lucky, that I can't be bothered to learn how to use photoshop...
Re: Happy World Population Day!! by joywendy(f): 8:30am On Jul 15, 2015
^^babez I no get wetin you talk oh embarassed

(1) (Reply)

10 Conspiracy Theories That Turned Out To Be True / Happy Bdai Christian Mougang / Smok R200 200W TC Mod Kit Review

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.