Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,136 members, 7,842,261 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Can The Poor Be Truly Happy? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can The Poor Be Truly Happy? (789 Views)

See How LAPO MFB Exploits The Poor / What Is The Different Between The Rich And The Poor? / An Inspirational Piece By Jack Ma(founder Of Alibaba) About Poor People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can The Poor Be Truly Happy? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jul 11, 2015
This issue is being deliberated on and possibly argued at the moment by some friends of mine and me. Some says the poor can be happy, and that they seem to be even happier than the rich. Others believe poverty is misery and as such the miserable person cannot be happy.

In this context, the poor refers to someone who's almost always incapable of meeting their legitimate financial obligations, and will rely on the benevolence of others to meet their needs. While the rich are those who have acquired financial wealth through legal and legitimate means only.

I'm of the opinion that the poor can not possibly be truly happy. Happiness is a state of rest and fulfilment. It's a state of personal serenity.

Some of my worst moments have been whenever I was unsure of meeting my basic, legitimate needs. That uncertainty had led to subtle levels of worry, which resulted to deeper level of anxiety, gloom and possible depression. Whenever I was sure of meeting my financial obligation, there was certainly, peace and happiness.

It's on this premise I believe the poor can't be truly happy.

Let's hear your thoughts and experiences. Thank you!

Cc: Lalasticlala, Ishilove, 400billionman, ideykwum, Francizy, INDESTRUCTABLEX, Truckpusher, barcanista.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Can The Poor Be Truly Happy? by 400billionman: 2:11pm On Jul 11, 2015
The poor is always looking out the window expecting a knock from a good Samaritan coming with father Christmas boxes containing food to quench their hunger..

1 Like

Re: Can The Poor Be Truly Happy? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jul 11, 2015
400billionman:

The poor.is always looking out the window expecting a knock from a good Samaritan to come with father Christmas boxes containing food to quench their hunger..

In other words?
Re: Can The Poor Be Truly Happy? by 400billionman: 2:18pm On Jul 11, 2015
dearpreye:

In other words?

Poor people are hardly happy in life. And they have a crab mentality. They want to associate with the rich who does not care if they exist. Poverty is synonymous with regrets, wishes and lack of fulfillment.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride

Do you expect a beggar to be happy ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can The Poor Be Truly Happy? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jul 11, 2015
400billionman:

Poor people are hardly happy in life. And they have a crab mentality. They want to associate with the rich who does not care if they exist. Poverty is synonymous with regrets, wishes and lack of fulfillment.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride

Do you expect a beggar to be happy ?

Anyone who falls into this rough category you just described CANNOT be happy. It's just NOT possible.
Re: Can The Poor Be Truly Happy? by hahn(m): 2:31pm On Jul 11, 2015
The poor can never be happy because the only things that can be attributed to poverty are depression, lack, want, low self esteem, inferiority complex, anger(a hungry man is an angry man) etc.

However, being poor is really a state of mind. There are people who have so much material possessions but still possess the attributes of a "poor" person.

Therefore, being poor is not neccessarily a lack of material wealth but a lack of contentment, fulfilment, love(to one's self and others).

That said, a "poor" person can never truly be happy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Poor Be Truly Happy? by libertyfather(m): 3:02pm On Jul 11, 2015

Re: Can The Poor Be Truly Happy? by francizy(m): 3:05pm On Jul 11, 2015
dearpreye:
This issue is being deliberated on and possibly argued at the moment by some friends of mine and me. Some says the poor can be happy, and that they seem to be even happier than the rich. Others believe poverty is misery and as such the miserable person cannot be happy.

In this context, the poor refers to someone who's almost always incapable of meeting their legitimate financial obligations, and will rely on the benevolence of others to meet their needs. While the rich are those who have acquired financial wealth through legal and legitimate means only.

I'm of the opinion that the poor can not possibly be truly happy. Happiness is a state of rest and fulfilment. It's a state of personal serenity.

Some of my worst moments have been whenever I was unsure of meeting my basic, legitimate needs. That uncertainty had led to subtle levels of worry, which resulted to deeper level of anxiety, gloom and possible depression. Whenever I was sure of meeting my financial obligation, there was certainly, peace and happiness.

Cc: Lalasticlala, Ishilove, 400billionman, ideykwum, Francizy, INDESTRUCTABLEX, Truckpusher, barcanista.

I dey come, will comment later..
Re: Can The Poor Be Truly Happy? by oshyno(m): 3:30pm On Jul 11, 2015
What is really being poor. As you stated he always falls short of meeting his needs. What again you should ask is does human being always meet their needs. Or do they always have money to get things they wud want get done done.

What I'm trying to point out here is that it all boils down to Einsten law of relativity. But truth is poor happy people have just simply shut themselves out of what they know they cant afford. Soo they are kind of content with what they have. Person wwey no know about Burgati nothing concern am with how much Mayweather buys his latest car. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can The Poor Be Truly Happy? by kunlesufyan(m): 3:39pm On Jul 11, 2015
The poor can truly be happy if he/she knows his limits and stays away from excesses ...simple

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can The Poor Be Truly Happy? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jul 11, 2015
Happiness is of the mind. I have come to the conclusion that financial status though may influence happiness level but is not explicitly a determinant. Ones state of mind, value system, family, environment, belief system, achievement etc are also factors that determines the level of happiness a person can be.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can The Poor Be Truly Happy? by ideykwum: 6:29pm On Jul 11, 2015
Poverty means different things to different people, so I think the key word is "contentment"! Sometimes, we are "poor" relative to your desires! It once occurred to me that I'm the direct cause of some of my miseries, as my expectations and aspirations moderate my feeling on the subject matter.

I will give an honest anology: I once dreamt of having 50,000 all to myself; 50,000 sounded like a million dollars then! God was gracious, and I got it, yet it soon lost its appeal! Then I aspired for a million naira! I got it, and same experience!! That has been the story of my life, the goal looks so lucrative and tall, but once it's gotten, new challenges appear. I guess that's what some wise people mean by "the treasures of the world are in the heart"! We can't seem to get it all! Dangote would surprise some if he says he is poor, but Bill Gates may understand!

So, for me, poverty is a state of the mind!! But then there is something called "penury"!!! That is the demon everyone should fear! It's tentacles knows no aspirations nor positive expectations other than desolation and a continuum of worry!! You can't be in penury and be happy, but one can be poor and be happy, especially when you have the hope that the best is yet to come!!

Borrowing from your definition (Happiness is a state of rest and fulfilment), if I'm at rest in a "batcha" and I feel fulfilled (fulfilment can be a function of my expectations, and expectations can be high or low, depending on who is looking at it!) despite anyone's view, then it can be said that I'm happy!

Have you wondered why some Hausa people take life with equanimity? A stoical perspective to life that sees them accepting their little as much, without greed, desire for greatness or fanfare!

dearpreye:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Poor Be Truly Happy? by ideykwum: 6:30pm On Jul 11, 2015
Poverty means different things to different people, so I think the key word is "contentment"! Sometimes, we are "poor" relative to your desires! It once occurred to me that I'm the direct cause of some of my miseries, as my expectations and aspirations moderate my feeling on the subject matter.

I will give an honest anology: I once dreamt of having 50,000 all to myself; 50,000 sounded like a million dollars then! God was gracious, and I got it, yet it soon lost its appeal! Then I aspired for a million naira! I got it, and same experience!! That has been the story of my life, the goal looks so lucrative and tall, but once it's gotten, new challenges appear. I guess that's what some wise people mean by "the treasures of the world are in the heart"! We can't seem to get it all! Dangote would surprise some if he says he is poor, but Bill Gates may understand!

So, for me, poverty is a state of the mind!! But then there is something called "penury"!!! That is the demon everyone should fear! It's tentacles knows no aspirations nor positive expectations other than desolation and a continuum of worry!! You can't be in penury and be happy, but one can be poor and be happy, especially when you have the hope that the best is yet to come!!

Borrowing from your definition (Happiness is a state of rest and fulfilment), if I'm at rest in a "batcha" and I feel fulfilled (fulfilment can be a function of my expectations, and expectations can be high or low, depending on who is looking at it!) despite anyone's view, then it can be said that I'm happy!

Have you wondered why some Hausa people take life with equanimity? A stoical perspective to life that sees them accepting their little as much, without greed, desire for greatness or fanfare!

It's a heretical view, but I see life through this lens!

dearpreye:

1 Like

Re: Can The Poor Be Truly Happy? by ideykwum: 6:38pm On Jul 11, 2015
"In this context, the poor refers to someone who's almost always incapable of meeting their legitimate financial obligations, and will rely on the benevolence of others to meet their needs. While the rich are those who have acquired financial wealth through legal and legitimate means only."

Within the above mentioned context, one can never be truly happy! And you're right!!! But that's for most people! There are still some who are contented within that sphere! They beg without shame, and just live their lives one day at a time, without regret! Most of them would tell you they are not unhappy!

dearpreye:

(1) (Reply)

Aweson Daily Deals / Looking For China Supplier In Industrial Machine / Is Aliexpress Credible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.