Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,856 members, 7,817,536 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

How Do I Potty Train My Dog ? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How Do I Potty Train My Dog ? (1237 Views)

Why I Named My Dog ‘buhari’ — Joe Chinakwe / How To Potty Train Your Puppy Or Dog? / My Dog Is Going Blind :'( (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Potty Train My Dog ? by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 12, 2015
Dog trainers in the house I have 5 year old GSD bitch , she has been largely obedient and hasn't been much trouble until last year when she whelped her first litter. The problem now is she excretes anywhere in the compound , she even comes into the kitchen and living room at times to relieve herself ( I'm very free with her so I hardly tie her down ) Prior to when she hadn't whelped she would make howling and hissing sounds if she's pressed until I open the gates for he to go do her thing outside. Now she doesn't do that but just defecates anywhere she is. How do I go about curbing this.

She has a set of puppies she's nursing at the moment.
Re: How Do I Potty Train My Dog ? by Nobody: 10:15am On Jul 12, 2015
From my experience, dogs naturally feel ashamed of defecating in the house or they give signs like howling and moaning like you mentioned...

I think you need to ask yourself a few questions here. . .
1. Since she started defecating in the house, have you tried to make her feel guilty by using words like "bad girl" or "dirty girl" or even taking her outside immediately?

2. Since you never really potty-trained her, she was only using her 'dogly' instincts to control herself earlier, perhaps she now thinks it's not so bad to poo in the house afterall?

What seperates a dog trainer from an owner is the ability to improve on a dog's natural ability. When you noticed she had good toilet manners, you ought to have dedicated a potty for her somewhere outside the house and she would have known straightaway that it's her toilet.

My advice to you is this:

Whenever she defecates, make sure to use guilty words on her like I mentioned, take her outside for a while and make her see you a bit annoyed.... and finally, stop being too free with her. Naturally, dogs crave attention and when it's not given to them, they do their best to get your attention and when they finally get it, they stay in their best behaviour. . . and from there, you have the advantage of giving her a full potty training yourself.
Re: How Do I Potty Train My Dog ? by Nobody: 11:39am On Jul 12, 2015
nairalandist:
From my experience, dogs naturally feel ashamed of defecating in the house or they give signs like howling and moaning like you mentioned...

I think you need to ask yourself a few questions here. . .
1. Since she started defecating in the house, have you tried to make her feel guilty by using words like "bad girl" or "dirty girl" or even taking her outside immediately?

2. Since you never really potty-trained her, she was only using her 'dogly' instincts to control herself earlier, perhaps she now thinks it's not so bad to poo in the house afterall?

What seperates a dog trainer from an owner is the ability to improve on a dog's natural ability. When you noticed she had good toilet manners, you ought to have dedicated a potty for her somewhere outside the house and she would have known straightaway that it's her toilet.

My advice to you is this:

Whenever she defecates, make sure to use guilty words on her like I mentioned, take her outside for a while and make her see you a bit annoyed.... and finally, stop being too free with her. Naturally, dogs crave attention and when it's not given to them, they do their best to get your attention and when they finally get it, they stay in their best behaviour. . . and from there, you have the advantage of giving her a full potty training yourself.

Initially she would try to defecate right in my front and I usually shout at her and she would cringe and go outside but lately what she has resorted to do is to relieve herself whenever I'm not around. Some people suggest I take her to her shiite and discipline her in front of it but I haven't beaten her before and I don't intend to start now.
Thanks for the suggestion
Re: How Do I Potty Train My Dog ? by tobolos(m): 3:58pm On Jul 12, 2015
always reward the pup for peeing or pooping in the right place - use a special treat or by just praising .
Re: How Do I Potty Train My Dog ? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jul 12, 2015
tobolos:
always reward the pup for peeing or pooping in the right place - use a special treat or by just praising .

Never thought of that , I'll try this right away. Thanks mate

(1) (Reply)

IMPORTED DOG!!! Is That All? / Meet My New Girl / A Must See Female GSD Pup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.